All-purpose Cup comment thread

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

All-purpose Cup comment thread

Postby PENK » 13 Feb 2012, 21:08

A lot of indie around. There don't seem to be as many lists that really work for me this year, but a few of those that do have made it through already, which is nice.

Only seen a couple of themed lists so far but perhaps I'm not spotting some of them.

'Rocks Off' is popular, isn't it?
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

The Modernist

Re: All-purpose Cup comment thread

Postby The Modernist » 13 Feb 2012, 21:11

There's been a lot of indie this year.
I thought the standard was pretty high but the last three days have left me quite deflated!
Hopefully we'll get a better day tomorrow.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Feb 2012, 21:11

You two are the pickiest fuckers around!

McBastard

Postby McBastard » 13 Feb 2012, 21:12

Some people are complaining that they don't discover anything interesting or new during the cup, but refuse to vote for lists that aren't full of songs they already know.
May the Lord have mercy on Stringy Bob

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 13 Feb 2012, 21:12

The prog lists seem to be picking up a bit more support this time round. Have they had another recruitment drive?
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

McBastard

Postby McBastard » 13 Feb 2012, 21:13

penk wrote:
Only seen a couple of themed lists so far but perhaps I'm not spotting some of them.

Are you in favour of themed lists? Do the prog ones count?
May the Lord have mercy on Stringy Bob

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Feb 2012, 21:14

Fox Beauregarde wrote:You two are the pickiest fuckers around!

I tend to praise more than you!
You're too busy complaining how obscure everything is. :lol:
I haven't been so positive in the last few days though, but I think that's been the case with many people's reactions.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 13 Feb 2012, 21:15

McBastard wrote:
penk wrote:

Are you in favour of themed lists? Do the prog ones count?

I don't really see the point in themed lists. They're not going to get anywhere in the Cup and you're not really putting your taste on the line for anyone to see. You're just showing that you can put together a list of songs that are somehow connected.

I think the prog ones count as they do seem to be a recurrent thing. I get the impression that some people do them just to prove some nebulous point (hence the annual appearance of "The Prog Bastard" [this year calling themselves "The Genius of Prog"], who somehow seems to get around the usual no-aliases rule).
Last edited by PENK on 13 Feb 2012, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
GoogaMooga wrote:

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 13 Feb 2012, 21:16

Well, now we know that one of the lists with Rocks Off is John's. :lol:
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Feb 2012, 21:16

Funkadelic seem to be quite poplular, so too Deerhunter.

TopCat G wrote:the last three days have left me quite deflated!

BCburnout has set in early, it's been quite difficult to choose. A lack of aesthetic consistency, or even personality in many lists.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Feb 2012, 21:19

TopCat G wrote:

I tend to praise more than you!
You're too busy complaining how obscure everything is. :lol:
I haven't been so positive in the last few days though, but I think that's been the case with many people's reactions.

I do think there are a lot of obscure choices. It interests me rather than pisses me off - I wonder what the purpose of the Cup is, what people are voting for, what people who put together lists of unfamiliar (to others) songs are actually saying.

I also find the way the lists look has an influence on the way people vote. We're basing our decisions on reading lists and not hearing collections of songs, to some extent.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Feb 2012, 21:20

Not much for me to get excited about I'm afraid. Wildly uneven lists mostly. Ho hum.

I fear for myself this year.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

dgs

Postby dgs » 13 Feb 2012, 21:20

clive gash wrote:Funkadelic seem to be quite poplular, so too Deerhunter.

BCburnout has set in early, it's been quite difficult to choose. A lack of aesthetic consistency, or even personality in many lists.

Bollocks

Bleep summed it up in another thread 10 good songs are 10 good songs, irrespective of theme, diversity or narrowness.

Not all good songs need to be like a fine wine; aged or of a certain grape/region.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Feb 2012, 21:23

Fox Beauregarde wrote:
I also find the way the lists look has an influence on the way people vote. We're basing our decisions on reading lists and not hearing collections of songs, to some extent.

I'm doing that more this year I must admit. I'll probably pay closer attention to some of the choices when its 1 v 1.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Feb 2012, 21:27

dgs wrote:
clive gash wrote:Funkadelic seem to be quite poplular, so too Deerhunter.

Bollocks

Bleep summed it up in another thread 10 good songs are 10 good songs, irrespective of theme, diversity or narrowness.

Not all good songs need to be like a fine wine; aged or of a certain grape/region.

No, they need to be good - where have they been hiding then?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2012, 21:29

penk wrote:The prog lists seem to be picking up a bit more support this time round. Have they had another recruitment drive?

Having had a taste of democracy in their own Cup, they long to continue having their voices heard in a larger context.

That's my theory, anyway. They've got Cup fever.
:)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

dgs

Postby dgs » 13 Feb 2012, 21:33

clive gash wrote:
No, they need to be good - where have they been hiding then?

They are all there, in plain sight.

Please explain what Bcburnout means? Sounds like some sort of code for an approved list rather than an actual cross comparison of the songs listed on their merits. No one can truly claim to be able to judge as no one has actually heard all the songs or is able to compare them line for line.

Pisses me off no end that something out of the "canon" is instantly dismissed as being a poor bcb choice or not good enough.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Feb 2012, 21:35

dgs wrote:
Pisses me off no end that something out of the "canon" is instantly dismissed as being a poor bcb choice or not good enough.

Because it's been picked a hundred times before. What's the point? We could all do that.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Feb 2012, 21:37

I just think there's been some poor stuff in the last few days, it's not really to do with the canon though. If anything you feel some are trying too hard to be different and just not pulling it off.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Feb 2012, 21:37

So we pick stuff that no-one has heard?