BCB Cup 2012 - SF, match 1 - Graduate fails exam!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: BCB Cup 2012 - SF, match 1

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Mar 2012, 14:39

B for Beach Boys and Sagittarius. A is fine, too, but you can't top those two.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

dgs

Postby dgs » 21 Mar 2012, 16:14

B please.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 21 Mar 2012, 16:19

I find more to like in A
Just a penitent man

Buddha B-Rex

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 21 Mar 2012, 16:36

A

Link 1 is broken. Cissy Strut is SO played out. Why not go deeper here? I liked the Dramatics cut well enough. I'm sorry but that Doublehappys cut sucks, and making me watch it twice with a false link to what is otherwise a pretty cool Saints track is a cruel trick. Gregory Issacs cut is a good obligatory island track. Fela is always a win. The Bomb the Bass cut is a good pick, too. The D.U. choice is a'ight, I guess. Howlin Wolf cut is played out, again. Why not go deeper with a name every one knows already? The Nillson is awesome. Grade A BCB. The Azelia Banks cut is terrible. It's a nice production, but it's also classless and stupid. The Mekons cut is right in the BCB wheelhouse. I like it. The Specials cut is of a time and place, but doesn't mean much to me. The Clark and Dillard is enhanced by the video link. Great vocals, and banjo, on this one. I used to hate bands like Talk Talk. Now they just bore me. It's another BCB vote getter, though. Great Delfonics cut. Love the Niney. Mercy, lord! Nice pick with The Cramps. I want to smoke that Dr. John album cover. Not the most exciting pick, but a solid choice. Bazerk is off the chain. Such a great pick! Bob Marley?!? We're a little island heavy for me here. Why go with the canonical Marley, after displaying good depth with the Issacs and Niney picks earlier. An interesting example of a great song making for a bad pick (imo). The Chi-Lites are like BCB manna. Utterly predictable, but the song is so hot it should be illegal. The Left Banke cut is really sparkly. A perfect pick. The Fetus Productions choice is an odd one. Not a great tune, but the video enhances it. Meh. WAR is another solid play. I almost put Spacemen 3 cut on my list. Again, not my favorite cut, but a good call. Against my nature, I like the Janelle Monae track. It was a perfect counter to Machuki's Amerie track last round. The Holy Fuck song is pretty awesome, but the video takes it to another level. Another reggae pick?!? Ok. Horace Andy pretty hot, but I've been out of weed since round 4. You Ought To Be With Me is another played out classic. So many better Al Green picks could have gone here. Not crazy about the Ghostface pick. I'd have gone straight Wu Tang killa bees here. The Snapper track is super cool, but I have no idea why. Another smoking' reggae track in the Pablo, but we're really beating a dub horse here. Nice closer with the Fairport Convention.

I have to say that this list is reggae heavy for my tastes, and some of it's picks are just plain played out. It has real winners in the Niney, Bazerk, Nillson, Chi-Lites, Left Banke, Holy Fuck, and Fela, but it has some losers in the Doublehappys, and Azelia Banks. Overall, it doesn't flow partiularly well, has some peaks and some flat moments, and generally shouldn't have beaten me last round (had to get that in there).

B

Clean Up Woman is a classic, but not canonical enough to be played out. Good pick to start. As jangly British nerd rock goes, the House of Love pick is perfect, even if it isn't in my wheelhouse. Max Romeo is always a win, and this cut is perfect. I'm trying not to hold A's penchant for picking reggae against you. A Beach Boys pick in the first five? Going for the kill early. Ok, the Sandie Shaw is a flawless pick. Good pick with The Skids. I never dug Japan until I started culling songs for the Cup. I was surprised not to get a reaction when I played Rain Tree Crow (which I surprised myself by liking). Not the best track, but another solid pick. LOVE the Mr. Bloe. This may be BCBlasphemy, but I can't stand that Go-Betweens cut. Plus, I've seen it on a hundred other lists over the years. This is your first real misstep (imo). Can't lose with Chuck Berry. Good change of tack. Two lists with The Cramps! A tie on that point. See, as on A, you've chosen an Al Green 'greatest hit', however, this one is slightly less played out. You can't go wrong with that Crabby Appleton track! Ok, the Paul Seibel track is nice enough, but a little meh. I'll pass on the lame Yeah Yeah Yeahs track. Hmmm. Not feeling the John Barry cut. Running out of gas a little in the middle here. A canonical Ramones pick lifts the energy, but I've heard it ten million times. Love the Calexico pick. What a weird video that is for the Left Banke cut. Not crazy about the pick, but it's a BCB win. Not too happy about the Primitives track. Sounds like a tv show theme song. The Ketty Lester recording is wonderful. I mean the actual recording. Great pick, but the sound of the drums and bass is incredible. Another miss with the Tarwater. Great Byrds pick. I like Dinosaur Jr. a lot more now than I ever did back then. A solid choice, if not stellar. Slightly played out Ike and Tina cut, but it's SO freakin' hot. The Aretha pick is ok, but why follow Tina with another diva immediately? No Sisters of Mercy for me, thanks. What a weird cut that Sagittarius track is. Bonus points for weird. The Neil Young link is broken. Good pick, though. Interesting pick in the Dukes of Stratosphere. Great Ann Peebles pick. Love the Jagger pick, too. The Cure link is broken, but I hate The Cure, so that's ok. Not too psyched about the Sophia George casio cruise ship reggae track. The Cash pick is always a win.

This list is spotty. It starts VERY strong, but sags in the middle. It picks up some towards the end, but never duplicates the strength of it's first ten. It has some excellent picks in the House of Love, Sandie Shaw, Mr. Bloe, Crabby Appleton, Ketty Lester, Ike and Tina, Jagger, and Johnny Cash. Bonus points for the weird factor towards the end. It has some losers in the Go-Betweens, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Primitives, Tarwater, and Sisters of Mercy.

Based on the fact that it's highs are higher, and even though it's lows are lower, I'm going to pick:

B.
Freak out. Far out.

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 21 Mar 2012, 17:22

I went for B last time, and am going to do so again, especially as I prefer the new 5 somewhat to A's new ones. Sorry, A!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with 'Crash', BTW!
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 21 Mar 2012, 18:10

A

(despite some still hinky links)

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 21 Mar 2012, 18:16

B

B

Postby B » 21 Mar 2012, 20:07

A

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 21 Mar 2012, 20:36

Why do I have to choose between the two best remaining lists before the final? :evil:

It's tough, but I'll go for B
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 21 Mar 2012, 21:40

Oh God, this is hard; A is coming from a place I like a lot, but I fear played its aces too early and isn't coming up with the best tunes anymore. B is perhaps less cool, but it's actually getting stronger in many ways. The new choices are very enticing indeed; in the mid 80s I loved both the Cure and Sophia George tracks.

Good work, both, but I'm voting for B (Sorry, A...)

mantochanga

BCB Cup 2012 - SF, match 1

Postby mantochanga » 21 Mar 2012, 22:26

B

Beno

Postby Beno » 21 Mar 2012, 23:11

Very hard to choose. Just a bit more fun.

B

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 21 Mar 2012, 23:39

Buddha B-Rex wrote:Against my nature, I like the Janelle Monae track. It was a perfect counter to Machuki's Amerie track last round.

Another reggae pick?!? Ok. Horace Andy pretty hot, but I've been out of weed since round 4.

1. Yeah. If this list wins I'm gonna take some credit.
2. BUMMER!

Buddha - you parsed the hell out of both of those lists, man! You should post more in the off-season.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 22 Mar 2012, 00:30

"I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down" is a pretty perfect record, but A has more of them.

A.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 22 Mar 2012, 09:18

B is more to my poppy taste.

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 22 Mar 2012, 13:34

B

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 22 Mar 2012, 13:49

B

Nice to see the Dukes there.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 22 Mar 2012, 13:52

Now there are only four lists left I guess I can bother myself to look at them.

I quite like both of these. Some proper music in there.

B is more my cup of tea.
Bugger off.

Cosmic American Girl

Postby Cosmic American Girl » 22 Mar 2012, 15:39

A

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 22 Mar 2012, 16:18

A