BCBers who stay away

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: BCBers who stay away

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Mar 2012, 14:38

NickC wrote:The point I was trying to make is that some people become universal soldiers. Obviously everyone wants to win, but how you go about it is different for each of us. I have never thought to myself while compiling my list 'How can I get the Prog lot on board?..how can I get the Christian metal guys'?...etc.
How many of these 'everything including the sink' lists are genuine? By that I mean do these list compilers really have these tracks in their collections, do they spend their time listening to this stuff? Or is it just trying to please everyone else?
In the mix club you only compile what you have. The mix club is to help broaden someone elses horizon by turning the recipient onto other things. Granted, we may think to ourselves while compiling this mix 'Jumper k is into punk, phsycobilly'...so sending him German proggers Birth Control might be pushing the boundaries a bit. Therefore we hover around a safe choice, but at the same time offering something new.
The cup seems to be a bit like the GB Olympic team at the moment. We've pinched all these foreign athletes and asked them to play for us, thus diluting the true Brit team. In the cup, you can go on Youtube, steal as many varieties of music as you want, get them to play for you..even though its not really your true home team.
I'l still play next year, but my team will still all be home grown.

What I do, and what I think most people do, to some degree, is pick stuff I love that I think other people might, or should, also love but either they aren't familiar with it or it's a cleverly non-obvious choice.

I don't think people assemble lists by pandering to other people's taste (i.e. thinking "Jumper K's into psychobilly. I'll put on this psychobilly song so he'll vote for my list").
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 14 Mar 2012, 15:08

By that I mean do these list compilers really have these tracks in their collections, do they spend their time listening to this stuff?

Yes.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

NickC

Postby NickC » 14 Mar 2012, 15:42

Count Machuki wrote:
By that I mean do these list compilers really have these tracks in their collections, do they spend their time listening to this stuff?

Yes.

You may do..
but do you think everyone does?

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 14 Mar 2012, 15:50

NickC wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

Yes.

You may do..
but do you think everyone does?

I know I did.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 14 Mar 2012, 15:53

I can say, hand on heart, that I love every song I picked for my entry. That'll be why it got dumped out in the 2nd round then...

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 14 Mar 2012, 19:07

Lemon Yoghourt wrote:I can say, hand on heart, that I love every song I picked for my entry. That'll be why it got dumped out in the 2nd round then...

I hear ya.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 14 Mar 2012, 19:27

Lemon Yoghourt wrote:I can say, hand on heart, that I love every song I picked for my entry. That'll be why it got dumped out in the 2nd round then...

Exactly, it'd be almost an academic exercise otherwise, and completely pointless. I refuse to believe people would actually pick songs they don't really love, or at least really like; its not the about the destination, its the journey.

The only thing I try to do is avoid obvious "cupicide" choices. It is more like Mix Club in as much as you're trying to find a balance between the arcane and the familiar, while keeping a decent variety of stuff as well. For some reason, for a change, it appears to be working so far. It may be time to bring out some of those cupicide choices after all...

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 14 Mar 2012, 19:43

My list had some garage/psych stuff, some soul stuff, some international stuff from the '60s and '70s, some modern electronic stuff and tracks by the Stooges, Arthur Russell and David Bowie.

Several people spotted it as mine as soon as it came up. So it was both eclectic and a fair representation of my tastes. I think there are just a lot of people on this board who genuinely are into a lot of different musics. It's what still makes it a good place to come, despite Yakety Yak's occasional slumps into classic rock tedium.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 14 Mar 2012, 22:16

It doesn't really bother me whether your choices were torn from the deepest part of your psyches or randomly chosen from a poll in your office. Sincere or manipulative, it's all the same to me. Which list do I prefer? Not which list's motivation do I trust the most.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 14 Mar 2012, 22:29

whodathunkit wrote:It doesn't really bother me whether your choices were torn from the deepest part of your psyches or randomly chosen from a poll in your office. Sincere or manipulative, it's all the same to me. Which list do I prefer? Not which list's motivation do I trust the most.

Yeah, there's that as well. :D