BCBers who stay away

Bungo the Mungo

BCBers who stay away

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 11 Mar 2012, 08:20

The Slider and Quaco have never been involved with the Cup, to my knowledge.

Any other regulars who avoid this 'dick-waving contest'? :)

brotherlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

BCBers who stay away

Postby brotherlouie » 11 Mar 2012, 08:46

I've not competed for the last two years. Can't be arsed with all the voting, and the listening to clips and so on. Too many people involved. I think it was a mistake to exceed 64 competitors.

I hope you're having fun, though.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Re: BCBers who stay away

Postby T. Willy Rye » 11 Mar 2012, 15:02

I was disappointed to see Sgt. Pepper sit this one out. Over in Mix Club his discs are received with near universal adulation. The man knows how to put one track after another.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Mar 2012, 15:11

T. Willy Rye wrote:I was disappointed to see Sgt. Pepper sit this one out. Over in Mix Club his discs are received with near universal adulation. The man knows how to put one track after another.

Ditto.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Mar 2012, 16:56

I'm thinking that I'm done from here on out.

It's gotten kind of repetitive for me, and I really just don't share enough in common with the collective taste's of this site. I think my decision to actually listen to most of the lists this year was disastrous. It was easier to think that there was more to most lists back in the days when hearing what was on them proved otherwise.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Buddha B-Rex

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 11 Mar 2012, 18:44

Right! Piss off, geezers! This is OUR turf now!

CAN. YOU. DIG IT!!!

:lol:

Best. Cup. Ever.
Freak out. Far out.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 11 Mar 2012, 19:53

Davey Avon PattyMelt wrote:It was easier to think that there was more to most lists back in the days when hearing what was on them proved otherwise.

Interesting.

I can see how it can get old after a few years. I'm already dreading next year.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 11 Mar 2012, 20:14

It's interesting how little discoveries are made during the Cup. I mean, how many songs are put forward? how many of those are new to people?

If it shows one thing it's that how little unity there is here - which is good and bad, of course.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 11 Mar 2012, 21:07

I discover things but I don't post on that thread. Maybe I'm not the only one.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 12 Mar 2012, 10:22

Guye could win this handily. He chooses to not get involved, ever. He won't even read this post.
the Eagles suck.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Mar 2012, 15:40

I talked to Zoomb this weekend & mentioned this, he says he is unable to watch the youtube clips & is too unfamiliar with most of what people pick to make any educated judgement.

Fair enough. I tend to vote based on the ones I know and get into unfamiliar clips when it's close to call.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 13 Mar 2012, 05:30

I only entered to make up the numbers and, as expected, got shot down before the first round. That'll be it for me then and that's solely on the back of some people dismissing my list because they 'didn't know any of the titles on them'. So my effort is not worth a bit of your time? Then I'll restrict my efforts to the people that do wish to know about what I like and the Cup is obviously not the stage to show people music you are into and want to know about.....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

der nister

Postby der nister » 13 Mar 2012, 13:11

never/ever wrote:I only entered to make up the numbers and, as expected, got shot down before the first round. That'll be it for me then and that's solely on the back of some people dismissing my list because they 'didn't know any of the titles on them'. So my effort is not worth a bit of your time? Then I'll restrict my efforts to the people that do wish to know about what I like and the Cup is obviously not the stage to show people music you are into and want to know about.....

its a game, that requires pandering
it's not about your soul
though some soul sprinkled through
always excites the hipsters
it's not hard to figure out what the board likes
just build it around the endless polls
work it, game it, win it ;)
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 13 Mar 2012, 13:14

never/ever wrote:I only entered to make up the numbers and, as expected, got shot down before the first round. That'll be it for me then and that's solely on the back of some people dismissing my list because they 'didn't know any of the titles on them'. So my effort is not worth a bit of your time? Then I'll restrict my efforts to the people that do wish to know about what I like and the Cup is obviously not the stage to show people music you are into and want to know about.....

Come on over to Mix Club, we'd love to have you.

NickC

Postby NickC » 13 Mar 2012, 17:03

T. Willy Rye wrote:

Very true. The cup tends to be people picking music that other people like and losing their own identity, whereas the mix club is about turning people onto other stuff with the occasional guess at what might please other people. Primarily though, its all your own work.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Mar 2012, 17:31

My picks in this are very similar to the kind of comps I make in the mix club. It's true I'll probably squeeze a few highly recognisable artists or tracks for balance in my BCB cup list, but 85% of it is very similar.
I think the thing is not to take the cup all that seriously, when people are voting against your list they're really not making a judgement on you as a person.

C
Robust

Postby C » 13 Mar 2012, 20:56

Would I be welcome in the Mick's Club....?

neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 14 Mar 2012, 03:02

NickC wrote:
T. Willy Rye wrote:

Very true. The cup tends to be people picking music that other people like and losing their own identity

That, of course, is false.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Mar 2012, 09:39

Cast Iron Baron wrote:
NickC wrote:
Very true. The cup tends to be people picking music that other people like and losing their own identity

That, of course, is false.

I'd have to say that based on some of the comments posted from people about their own lists I concur with Nick.
I did like my submission as it represented a lot of good tracks I've been listening to at the point but would people have picked me as the supplier of it? I doubt it.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

NickC

Postby NickC » 14 Mar 2012, 11:56

The point I was trying to make is that some people become universal soldiers. Obviously everyone wants to win, but how you go about it is different for each of us. I have never thought to myself while compiling my list 'How can I get the Prog lot on board?..how can I get the Christian metal guys'?...etc.
How many of these 'everything including the sink' lists are genuine? By that I mean do these list compilers really have these tracks in their collections, do they spend their time listening to this stuff? Or is it just trying to please everyone else?
In the mix club you only compile what you have. The mix club is to help broaden someone elses horizon by turning the recipient onto other things. Granted, we may think to ourselves while compiling this mix 'Jumper k is into punk, phsycobilly'...so sending him German proggers Birth Control might be pushing the boundaries a bit. Therefore we hover around a safe choice, but at the same time offering something new.
The cup seems to be a bit like the GB Olympic team at the moment. We've pinched all these foreign athletes and asked them to play for us, thus diluting the true Brit team. In the cup, you can go on Youtube, steal as many varieties of music as you want, get them to play for you..even though its not really your true home team.
I'l still play next year, but my team will still all be home grown.