Linking vs embedding

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Linking vs embedding

Postby the masked man » 04 Mar 2012, 08:03

I fear my last post on the round three thread has caused confusion, which is probably my own fault for writing something quickly before going out. Anyway, I tried to stress that embedding of videos within the BCB page is forbidden, and that you should instead post a link to the page containing the video. However, I've received more new lists with embedded links since then, as well as a PM from someone who thought he'd formatting his links wrongly, when he hadn't really.

So what do I need? Please don't embed videos so they appear within the post, by pressing the 'youtube' button; instead, follow martha's instructions:

martha wrote:Linking is very easy.

You just type

[url=

then paste your link.

Then add a closing bracket and type the work "link" or "listen" or "play" or whatever you want to call it...

then you add a set of closed brackets with /url inbetween them.

like so:

Song - Artist clip
Song - Artist link
Song - Artist play
Song - Artist listen
Song - Artist video

Just make sure there's no space between url= and your link.

If you want to see exactly how she's formatted the links, just quote this thread, and you'll see how linking works.

Furthermore, if you have sent me a list with embedding, I would be grateful if you could please re-send it using this format. If not, I'll be forced to re-format the lists myself.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

The Modernist

Re: Linking vs embedding

Postby The Modernist » 04 Mar 2012, 08:08

I think it unfair that anyone sending embedded lists should be allowed to continue. May I instead suggest that any losing lists from yesterday's posts be given a bye into the Q-F and that embedded lists, as well as those who were late with their submissions, be terminated with extreme prejudice!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 04 Mar 2012, 08:15

I would feel the exact same way if I was still in the competition! ;)

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Mar 2012, 08:36

the masked man wrote:I tried to stress that embedding of videos within the BCB page is forbidden

This is a bit strong!

You mean you don't want them, right? it makes things difficult.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 04 Mar 2012, 08:40

Sir John Coan wrote:
the masked man wrote:I tried to stress that embedding of videos within the BCB page is forbidden

This is a bit strong!

You mean you don't want them, right? it makes things difficult.

I really don't see why this is coming as a surprise to people; this is not a new rule, it was around before I took over! I'm just pointing out that the lists should be formatted in a certain way. What's your problem with this?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Mar 2012, 08:44

Relax, Andrew! Just the use of the word 'forbidden' - it sounds unnecessarily strict, or even that the site itself doesn't allow the embedding of youtube videos.

I understand you don't want people to embed and that it's a pain in the arse to have to reformat lists. I'd stress the amount of work you have to put in, so that people get it.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 04 Mar 2012, 08:46

You probably haven't said it often enough Andrew. I can only count half a dozen occasions so far this year :roll: :lol:

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 04 Mar 2012, 08:48

I think JC has been embedding videos, Jeff K too probably.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 04 Mar 2012, 10:11

TopCat G wrote:I think JC has been embedding videos, Jeff K too probably.

It's pretty clear from this thread that Coan is a guilty party and I know from personal experience that Jeff K will often include a little threatening note with each new five. Very unsavoury.

It really is amazing the amount of time running the Cup consumes and that's before you've reformatted people's lists by un-embedding youtube videos, linking unlinked clips and even retyping lists because the first ten had artist first but the next five had song first and the next five suddenly decided to use brackets instead of dashes. :x

I do miss it though.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Mar 2012, 03:16

Clint Planet wrote:I do miss it though.

Is that you volunteering to run the Theme Cup? (Or the Bizarro Cup?) :)

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.