There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Yay or Nay

Yes
18
75%
No
6
25%
 
Total votes: 24

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37227
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Feb 2012, 20:27

Vote! damnit.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope
Posts: 16128
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 16:36
Location: ,Location, Location

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Corporate whore » 26 Feb 2012, 20:40

yes, get it organised.

;-)
Image

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 15561
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Loki » 26 Feb 2012, 20:46

I'm in.
Image

Look up here, I'm in heaven


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 15561
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Loki » 26 Feb 2012, 20:47

And a Bizarro Cup!
Image

Look up here, I'm in heaven


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
Ray K.
Posts: 5608
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 21:06
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Ray K. » 28 Feb 2012, 19:47

I love this shit so yes.

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37227
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 28 Feb 2012, 20:36

So it's 8 - 2 in favor.

I'll let this poll run a lil' longer seeing as only ten people voted.

No reason why we can't do it with only a handful contestants.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9259
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Jock » 28 Feb 2012, 21:00

Might be good.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 26794
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby the masked man » 28 Feb 2012, 22:12

Why do you need to hold a vote? If you want to organise this, knock yourself out (but wait until the main tournament's over) and see who signs up. That's the ultimate test of whether this contest is viable or not.

Personally, I'd like to see this happen. Don't expect Top Cat G to vote though...

The Modernist

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby The Modernist » 28 Feb 2012, 22:14

the masked man wrote:Why do you need to hold a vote? If you want to organise this, knock yourself out (but wait until the main tournament's over) and see who signs up. That's the ultimate test of whether this contest is viable or not.

Personally, I'd like to see this happen. Don't expect Top Cat G to vote though...


I could do a Carlsson and just write a b s t a i n on every tie. :lol:

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 22743
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby never/ever » 28 Feb 2012, 22:39

Why not a

Indie Cup
Obscurists Cup
Classic Rock Cup
Cheesy Pop Cup
Punk Cup
Psych Cup
World Music Cup
Metal Cup
Ambient Cup
Jazz Cup
Movie Cup
Comedy Cup
Shopping List Of Loons-Cup




et cetera
et cetera
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
Beno
Posts: 6580
Joined: 04 Nov 2004, 22:05
Location: Gasoline Alley

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Beno » 28 Feb 2012, 23:27

It's a great idea. I think the themes should be given to the competitors though so we can compare two lists that are both operating under the same constraint. It could work something like this.

There would be four matches posted a day and, say, a week ahead of that time the competitors would be given the "theme ofthe day" and which would give them a week to come up with a list. It would be a real test of musical knowledge to come up with a good list in those circumstances.

In the second round lists with different original themes would be drawn against each other but following the pattern of round one the additional tracks drawn against each would all have to follow the same "theme of the day". It's perhaps not much of a challenge to come up with a themed list of 5 tracks so maybe the number of new tracks presented in each round, including round 1, should be the same. To keep the lists managageable though this may need to be less than 10.

As for themes then it could be genres, colours, Beatles covers or whatever other ideas people can come up with. The theme just needs to be broad enough so that we don't end up with every list coming up with the same tracks. If anyone drew me on a metal genre theme though they could consider it a bye.

That's my idea anyway, but sadly I don't have enough spare time to take on the organising of it.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12531
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby fange » 29 Feb 2012, 07:23

Sounds like a bit of fun.

never/ever wrote:...Ambient Cup...


*gulp*

Actually, i think i'm busy around that time...
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
funky_nomad
paranoid
Posts: 11626
Joined: 14 Aug 2003, 11:31
Location: Doomsville

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby funky_nomad » 29 Feb 2012, 11:34

I'm well up for the EPRA Cup.
Just a penitent man

User avatar
Sambient
Posts: 16605
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:56
Location: Nerdvana

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Sambient » 29 Feb 2012, 14:47

Fangedango! wrote:Sounds like a bit of fun.

never/ever wrote:...Ambient Cup...


*gulp*

Actually, i think i'm busy around that time...



I'm in! That's one I am so down for.

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37227
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Feb 2012, 21:18

Beno wrote:It's a great idea. I think the themes should be given to the competitors though so we can compare two lists that are both operating under the same constraint. It could work something like this.

There would be four matches posted a day and, say, a week ahead of that time the competitors would be given the "theme ofthe day" and which would give them a week to come up with a list. It would be a real test of musical knowledge to come up with a good list in those circumstances.

In the second round lists with different original themes would be drawn against each other but following the pattern of round one the additional tracks drawn against each would all have to follow the same "theme of the day". It's perhaps not much of a challenge to come up with a themed list of 5 tracks so maybe the number of new tracks presented in each round, including round 1, should be the same. To keep the lists managageable though this may need to be less than 10.

As for themes then it could be genres, colours, Beatles covers or whatever other ideas people can come up with. The theme just needs to be broad enough so that we don't end up with every list coming up with the same tracks. If anyone drew me on a metal genre theme though they could consider it a bye.

That's my idea anyway, but sadly I don't have enough spare time to take on the organising of it.





I like Beno's idea of putting up different themes (one at a time) and see what the contestants can come up with.
On the other hand I fear this Cup will not attract that many contestants. Twenty would already be a success.
Therefor instead of one-on-one matches with straight wins/losses perhaps we can form groups of four contestants each and give them three themes over three weeks.
The four entries can then be posted together and receive points (4-3-2-1).
At the end of the three weeks points will be added and the winner goes to the final where he/she meets the winners of the other groups.
They get three more themes to get to the final winner.

What do you think?

Ideally there should be a committee of 3 to 5 people who will decide upon the themes chosen.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 49987
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby C » 29 Feb 2012, 21:54

TopCat G wrote:I could do a Carlsson and just write a b s t a i n on every tie.



Evidence...? :roll:

I'm all for themed list.

Yves you are our saviour

It's a shame you are from Belgium





.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12236
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Ranking Ted » 29 Feb 2012, 23:02

funky_nomad wrote:I'm well up for the EPRA Cup.

You'd be in with a shout for that one.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24063
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Copehead » 29 Feb 2012, 23:05

Definitely

They are a lot more fun and creative than what the BCB cup has turned into, what ever that is.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 15561
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby Loki » 01 Mar 2012, 00:15

I might rather pick my own theme....been kicking a few ideas around.
Image

Look up here, I'm in heaven


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
whodathunkit
Posts: 12173
Joined: 20 Aug 2004, 23:45
Location: Down in the boondocks

Re: There should be a BCB Cup for themed lists

Postby whodathunkit » 01 Mar 2012, 00:35

Loki Avon wrote:I might rather pick my own theme....been kicking a few ideas around.


Agreed.

And playing "Spot the Theme" might be a jolly jape.And would avoid the dreaded "Committee".
Image