Cup 2012 - final round. Two lists left -- who will win?

purgatory brite

Re: Sign up 2012 BCB Cup 4 PLACES LEFT Closing date - Sat 28

Postby purgatory brite » 29 Jan 2012, 22:32

Carlsson wrote:I'm going all the way this year!

40 fine songs honed-down to perfection!

Not if you've chosen 40 songs by Gentle Giant, you won't!

:D

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 29 Jan 2012, 22:45

11 songs carefully and with much angst pared down to a sleek 10
king of the divan

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 29 Jan 2012, 22:53

i have two songs now. i'm not sure they really go together, though. i'm thinkin i may need at least six songs in between to serve as lil mortary stepping stones of smooth segue from the first song to the second song. once i figure those out, then i will work on song number three.

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 30 Jan 2012, 12:40

Where's yellowjacket?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Jan 2012, 18:34

Maybe edit the title to include the due date for songs?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Chuck [Bot]

Postby Chuck [Bot] » 30 Jan 2012, 18:45

kath wrote:i have two songs now. i'm not su[url][/url]re they really go together, though. i'm thinkin i may need at least six songs in between to serve as lil mortary stepping stones of smooth segue from the first song to the second song. once i figure those out, then i will work on song number three.

You what? They have to link, one to the next? I was just going to choose 10 random (but cool) songs I really like. :(
Blah

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 30 Jan 2012, 19:24

Chuck_in_a_rut wrote:
kath wrote:i have two songs now. i'm not su[url][/url]re they really go together, though. i'm thinkin i may need at least six songs in between to serve as lil mortary stepping stones of smooth segue from the first song to the second song. once i figure those out, then i will work on song number three.

You what? They have to link, one to the next? I was just going to choose 10 random (but cool) songs I really like. :(

That's for newbs :roll:
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Chuck [Bot]

Postby Chuck [Bot] » 30 Jan 2012, 19:36

Copehead wrote:
Chuck_in_a_rut wrote:

That's for newbs :roll:

Ah, phew, that's ok then - that means me. ;)
Blah

The Modernist

Re: BCB Cup 2012; please supply initial ten songs by Sat 4 F

Postby The Modernist » 30 Jan 2012, 20:11

martha wrote: The lists that do win in the end don't seem to flow at all, they are just a formulaic pile of a dash of this a dash of that designed to appeal to the greatest number of folks..

Manifestly untrue of last year. I didn't think your list last year was very imaginative, but good luck this year!

Chuck [Bot]

Postby Chuck [Bot] » 30 Jan 2012, 20:16

martha wrote:You can do anything you like, but I choose my tracks as if I'm constructing a playlist -- they flow together from track to track, and I worry over BPM, lyrical and music connections and similar minutia. The end result is a thing of aural beauty -- 50 tracks that flow from song to song seamlessly and each track is a beloved and personal favorite. It's agonizing for me to construct and I spend large chunks of my life doing it -- then despite all that effort -- I never win, or really come anywhere near winning. The lists that do win in the end don't seem to flow at all, they are just a formulaic pile of a dash of this a dash of that designed to appeal to the greatest number of folks. Every year -- every list I vote for fails. You could bank on it. So, I think that it's just geeky perfectionism and a totally unnecessary step to take. But "the flow" of any list is an essential part of my voting process.

I don't have a large chunk of my life to spend on it. Perhaps I shouldn't have put my name in.. :(

Maybe this will be your year Martha, your efforts oughta bring a reward in the end.

At least I promise to choose the tracks I value most rather than the ones I think might get the most votes. If by any chance I get past the first stage, that would be like winning to me! :D
Blah

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 30 Jan 2012, 20:25

That only gives me time to make about fifty more edits to my list.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Jan 2012, 20:27

It's probably a good idea to have some breadth in your initial ten.
Mind you there's a lot of luck to the whole thing as well -who you draw, who happens to be voting, the mood the previous ties have put the board in etc.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 30 Jan 2012, 21:00

TopCat G wrote:It's probably a good idea to have some breadth in your initial ten.
Mind you there's a lot of luck to the whole thing as well -who you draw, who happens to be voting, the mood the previous ties have put the board in etc.

Say what you will about Geraint, but he knows his BCB Cup.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Jan 2012, 21:22

TopCat G wrote:It's probably a good idea to have some breadth in your initial ten.

:lol:

...as long as it doesn't include any prog, progressive, underground, classic rock, hard rock, synth-pop, krautrock [with the exception of Kraftwerk and Can] or Edgar Broughton

Behave lad

Behave!!

Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12.

Chuck [Bot]

Postby Chuck [Bot] » 30 Jan 2012, 21:43

Thanks for the advice, I've got my first ten all lined up. You'd have to be dead not to love it! I'm feeling confident... 8-)

What do we have to do with them now?
Blah

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 30 Jan 2012, 21:50

Chuck_in_a_rut wrote:Thanks for the advice, I've got my first ten all lined up. You'd have to be dead not to love it! I'm feeling confident... 8-)

PM them to the masked man.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Chuck [Bot]

Postby Chuck [Bot] » 30 Jan 2012, 21:53

Jeff K wrote:
Chuck_in_a_rut wrote:Thanks for the advice, I've got my first ten all lined up. You'd have to be dead not to love it! I'm feeling confident... 8-)

PM them to the masked man.

Oh, OK. We're not handing in mp3's or a CD?
Blah

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 30 Jan 2012, 22:05

Chuck_in_a_rut wrote:Oh, OK. We're not handing in mp3's or a CD?

The proper thing to do is put your first ten songs on a CD and include a cover and liner notes too and send it to the masked man.

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 31 Jan 2012, 02:32

OK (so I'm new at this one too!)

Do we just PM him the titles, or are actual Youtube (or other) links needed as well? What happens if someone isn't familiar with a song in your list, if it's relatively obscure, say?

I'm not too worried about the 'programming' though - I've got a blindfold, a hat and some pieces of paper and a pen ready (and my innate musical sensibilities, of course) here to guide me...

PS: oh, scratch that, I've just read the adjacent thread... :)
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 31 Jan 2012, 02:49

Links aren't mandatory but if you have a song that you think the rest of us may not be familiar with, it wouldn't hurt to include a link. Martha explains how to do it over in the 2012 BCB Cup section. Just PM the masked man with your initial ten songs, links or no links. If you're fortunate enough to advance past the first round, you then add an additional five songs to the original list and get matched up against someone new in the next round.