cup 11 -thoughts..

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: cup 11 -thoughts..

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Feb 2011, 20:19

Having lost in a tiebreak, I think there's something wrong with it, too. In my match, A and B were reversed from our original order, and I had about three non-work hours to come up with my next five. It's all part of the game, I suppose, but it sucks bad to lose in a tie-breaker.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2011, 22:29

I think it's bollocks. Surely we are judging the whole list complete with new 5 not just the new 5?
Copehead wrote:I have never seen anything that doesn't convince me that Joe Average people who vote Conservative are fundamentally too thick to understand the world

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 28 Feb 2011, 01:40

Goat Boy wrote:I think it's bollocks. Surely we are judging the whole list complete with new 5 not just the new 5?

Are we still talking about tie-breaks?

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Feb 2011, 01:43

I don't know why tie-breaks have suddenly become contentious. We've had them every year since the tournament began.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Feb 2011, 01:53

But shouldn't it be clear which new five go with each list?
Copehead wrote:I have never seen anything that doesn't convince me that Joe Average people who vote Conservative are fundamentally too thick to understand the world

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 28 Feb 2011, 02:28

Goat Boy wrote:But shouldn't it be clear which new five go with each list?

No. Why?
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Feb 2011, 02:34

What about if both new fives are shit so you wanna vote for the list you did before but you don't know which is which? This is exactly what happened earlier on in the cup so I voted for, what I thought, was the five which corresponded to the original but who knows which list I voted for.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 28 Feb 2011, 02:34

LeBaron wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:But shouldn't it be clear which new five go with each list?

No. Why?

I think that knowing which tracks go with which list would be helpful, although it could lead to tie breakers being tied.
the Eagles suck.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 28 Feb 2011, 02:40

Goat Boy wrote:What about if both new fives are shit so you wanna vote for the list you did before but you don't know which is which? This is exactly what happened earlier on in the cup so I voted for, what I thought, was the five which corresponded to the original but who knows which list I voted for.

Don't vote. The original list no longer deserves the vote if it can't hang in the tie-breaker.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 28 Feb 2011, 03:10

I see your point but I have to agree with GB - isn't the whole point of adding 5 to.....um, like, well isn't part of the idea to make it all flow together, or some crap like that?

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Qube

Postby Qube » 28 Feb 2011, 11:01

The tie-breakers are fine if you ask me, it might be annoying if you voted for one list in the first match and feel like you want to vote for that same person in the tie-breaker. But it's a bit like football, sometimes one team can ge battered during 90 minutes an extra time but then do the business in a penalty shoot-out.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Feb 2011, 12:41

I seem to have voted twice in tie-breakers against lists I wholeheartedly supported. So I think tie-breakers suck.
Possible solution- letting the draw continue and when there are more tie-breakers to be decided in that round, at the end of it pitch a tied list against one of the other tied lists.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 28 Feb 2011, 12:43

They're a perfectly reasonable way to settle the tie if you ask me.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Feb 2011, 13:25

I cannot believe that people are SO anal they believe they recognise the tie breakers lists as belonging to either A or B from the original tie? I mean, seriously, get a fucking life you dullards.

Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Feb 2011, 13:31

Diamond Dog wrote:I cannot believe that people are SO anal they believe they recognise the tie breakers lists as belonging to either A or B from the original tie? I mean, seriously, get a fucking life you dullards.

Mwa...it helps if the manager discloses which list it was that gets outed and you decide to check on it....or if you see the crap-five additions to the winning list in the next round.... :roll:
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 28 Feb 2011, 14:33

To avoid any more conflict over the tie-breakers, I say we start the Cup all over again.

I'll be PM-ing my original ten to the masked man shortly.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Feb 2011, 14:41

never/ever wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I cannot believe that people are SO anal they believe they recognise the tie breakers lists as belonging to either A or B from the original tie? I mean, seriously, get a fucking life you dullards.

Mwa...it helps if the manager discloses which list it was that gets outed and you decide to check on it....or if you see the crap-five additions to the winning list in the next round.... :roll:

:?:

This is in English, yes?

Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Feb 2011, 14:42

LeBaron wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:What about if both new fives are shit so you wanna vote for the list you did before but you don't know which is which? This is exactly what happened earlier on in the cup so I voted for, what I thought, was the five which corresponded to the original but who knows which list I voted for.

Don't vote. The original list no longer deserves the vote if it can't hang in the tie-breaker.

That's a tad harsh. A list I support can still post a new five I'm not so keen on or that's inferior to its opponents but I still want to vote as I don't go in for abstaining. In Balboa's tie his opponents new five were a bit better so I voted for them but overall Balboa's list was more to my taste so that's where I wanted my vote to go, however, now I realise my vote was effectively wasted and he's now out. Some people vote in the tie breaks based purely on the new five, fair enough, but others clearly check back to see which list the five belong to then vote accordingly.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Feb 2011, 15:47

But it was was easy to recognise which Balbao's list was. I had a real quandary in that I really liked both, but I think it's in the spirit of the competition to judge the new five.
Do we really want whole lists being repeated?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Feb 2011, 15:53

The Modernist wrote:But it was was easy to recognise which Balbao's list was. I had a real quandary in that I really liked both, but I think it's in the spirit of the competition to judge the new five.
Do we really want whole lists being repeated?

I don't think it was actually. They both coulda been Balboa's hence my confusion. I just want the extra five to correspond to the original A and B lists, that's all.