cup 11 -thoughts..

Thesiger

Re: cup 11 -thoughts..

Postby Thesiger » 27 Jan 2011, 09:38

Loki wrote:No one spelled out the 'song first' thing beforehand [that I saw], and it's too late to change now. I've always done artist first. Hard habit to break, but I'll know next time.

That's true. It was not made crystal clear.

But I'm with those critics who take exception to getting the titles of songs (or artists) wrong.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 27 Jan 2011, 10:21

Titles first annoy me. It's easier for me to retrace my steps by seeing artists first when I search through the threads at a later time. Titles first breaks my concentration.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 27 Jan 2011, 10:54

Loki wrote:No one spelled out the 'song first' thing beforehand [that I saw], and it's too late to change now. I've always done artist first. Hard habit to break, but I'll know next time.

Indeed. I always list artist first.

Qube

Postby Qube » 27 Jan 2011, 10:55

I've always been an artist-first person as well...

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 27 Jan 2011, 11:06

But surely you're picking the song not the artist. It just seems the wrong way round to me. But it's certainly no big deal and I wouldn't let it influence the way I vote.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 27 Jan 2011, 11:10

The song is definitely the most important part of the list, and there probably is a slight contradiction in the way I present my list but its just habit: artist then song.

mission

Postby mission » 27 Jan 2011, 11:13

That's where you are wrong, Modernist. It is a great deal and we should sort this shit out once and for all.

Artist first is the cad's way in a competition about songs. Personally I reckon we should only ever list artist if there is more than one version of the tune (or where there are replications of song title) and you wish to direct attention toward a particular interpretation - but obviously I am a freak who should be avoided.

You tube links should be allowed - but only if you think the tune is obscure and want to give folks a helping hand. Then we get the pleasure of seeing what people think is obscure.
Goodness gracious me.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 27 Jan 2011, 11:25

:lol:

While we're at it Mish, where do you stand on the "song title in quotation marks or italics" debate?

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 27 Jan 2011, 11:34

I think we should mix titles and names up, such as Tonight In Collins The Phil Air
king of the divan

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 27 Jan 2011, 11:44

Reminds me of the very first cup when Goldwax submitted just 10 song titles without artists... and ended up getting about 3 votes
Fishstick selling fuck

mission

Postby mission » 27 Jan 2011, 11:46

whodathunkit wrote::lol:

While we're at it Mish, where do you stand on the "song title in quotation marks or italics" debate?

Well, I am glad you have mentioned it - I wasn't going to but now that it's here, out in the open, I would like to say that the faggotyarsed candypantses who fiddle with the fonts only illustrate the truth that while one can indeed never polish a turd, one can always roll it in glitter.

Down with that stuff. Straighten up and fly right.
Goodness gracious me.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 27 Jan 2011, 11:47

I think the more esoteric choices will lose out with this system. Whereas before, bold lists could possibly win over a dull, conformist list, the addition of a third opponent will see these lose out.

However, this could just be a disclaimer for my inevitable first round exit.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 27 Jan 2011, 12:09

ALAN CHEESEFACE wrote:I think the more esoteric choices will lose out with this system. Whereas before, bold lists could possibly win over a dull, conformist list, the addition of a third opponent will see these lose out.

However, this could just be a disclaimer for my inevitable first round exit.

I hope that's not the case. I think equally a more unusual list could pick up a lot of second votes. But I also think people vote pretty conservatively (or a significant number do) whatever the system.
It's a bit too early to say whether what you say is happening. I was disappointed to see Nev Sharp go out, but then he was in an unusually strong three way tie, certainly the strongest one we've seen so far.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 27 Jan 2011, 12:11

I think I'll just scrap voting this year and award the title to the list which satisfies a list of criteria (spelling, typography, song / artist order etc) determined by an elite panel of Doyens. How refreshing it is that BCB focuses on the important stuff instead of trivial concerns like the quality of music contained in each list. :roll:

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 27 Jan 2011, 12:23

I must say that the quality of the puns for the defeated lists ( :( ) seems to have been ratcheted up a notch this year.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Jan 2011, 12:32

I don't have problems with typography, song / artist order but I DO have a problem with people getting the titles of songs incorrect for fucks sake. These are supposed to be songs you LOVE and you can't even get that right? It's a joke. How about I picked Purpley Haze by Jimi Hendrix, Days In The Lives by the Beatles or Babylonian Sisters by Steely Dan?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

savoirefaire
Location: formerly pore of sin...ga!, way of nor and currently pan of Ja!

Postby savoirefaire » 27 Jan 2011, 12:36

Goat Boy wrote:I don't have problems with typography, song / artist order but I DO have a problem with people getting the titles of songs incorrect for fucks sake. These are supposed to be songs you LOVE and you can't even get that right? It's a joke. How about I picked Purpley Haze by Jimi Hendrix, Days In The Lives by the Beatles or Babylonian Sisters by Steely Dan?

You've obviously been listening to the pirated albums you bought in South East Asia.
Kid P wrote:*Deleted*
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Jan 2011, 14:18

savoirefaire wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I don't have problems with typography, song / artist order but I DO have a problem with people getting the titles of songs incorrect for fucks sake. These are supposed to be songs you LOVE and you can't even get that right? It's a joke. How about I picked Purpley Haze by Jimi Hendrix, Days In The Lives by the Beatles or Babylonian Sisters by Steely Dan?

You've obviously been listening to the pirated albums you bought in South East Asia.

:D
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 27 Jan 2011, 18:24

whodathunkit wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:Wrong fucking thread, dude!!!!

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Bitter Recriminations is sooo last year.

Don't listen to this guy!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 27 Jan 2011, 18:30

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
whodathunkit wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:Wrong fucking thread, dude!!!!

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Bitter Recriminations is sooo last year.

Don't listen to this guy!

Not much chance of that .

Return to “2011 BCB Cup”