BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34187
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby PENK » 20 Mar 2011, 16:56

Well done G. A BCB hero.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 8585
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Mar 2011, 18:08

congrats, Moddie. You should, by rights, be getting a lovely satin sash and a tiara by now. But the BCBers who vote on this are obviously a mean bunch of bastards, so - help yourself to Fuck All.... :D
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
Duncan
Posts: 2009
Joined: 26 Aug 2003, 11:39
Location: 123 Fake Street

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Duncan » 20 Mar 2011, 20:50

Congrats G, it's been emotional.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

User avatar
MP3PO
Posts: 1551
Joined: 30 Jan 2004, 00:00
Location: Oops....wrong planet

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby MP3PO » 20 Mar 2011, 23:22

Congratulations! Lots of songs and lots of patience to get through the whole contest!
Image

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12037
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Ranking Ted » 20 Mar 2011, 23:23

Well done to G, a most deserving winner. Well done too to Bleep for a great list and to Andrew for his sterling organisational efforts.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 11987
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby fange » 21 Mar 2011, 00:54

Well done to both finalists - an engrossing match between two terrific lists. And thanks again to the Masked Man, excellent job!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ
Posts: 14658
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 10:55
Location: Today, Tomorrow, Timaru
Contact:

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby The Write Profile » 21 Mar 2011, 05:26

Well done Modernist, it was truly a very good list indeed, and I'm pleased you won, although I voted for Bleep's, there was nothing between them.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 65430
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Mar 2011, 05:42

C
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.


gash on ignore, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

User avatar
Zilth Pilchards
Posts: 2992
Joined: 18 Feb 2010, 12:01

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Zilth Pilchards » 21 Mar 2011, 09:30

Well done Modernist,I didn't vote for your list but you're a deserving winner.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16073
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby gash on ignore » 21 Mar 2011, 12:41

There is hope for BCB after all. Jennings victory is a victory for all the non-nextdoorlanders.
Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.



Diamond Dog wrote:Bit embarrassed, are we? Try to make light of it, shall we?


User avatar
Jeff K
The Original K
Posts: 32690
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:08
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Jeff K » 21 Mar 2011, 12:50

neville harp wrote:There is hope for BCB after all. Jennings victory is a victory for all the non-nextdoorlanders.


You must admit 'Jennings' came well-prepared.

The Modernist wrote:This year the gloves will be off and the troops will be rallied.
And to signal my intent, I shall be returning to my classic username and avator for the duration of the cup. So no messin'!


viewtopic.php?f=43&t=99081
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16073
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby gash on ignore » 21 Mar 2011, 12:53

Jeff K wrote:
neville harp wrote:There is hope for BCB after all. Jennings victory is a victory for all the non-nextdoorlanders.


You must admit 'Jennings' came well-prepared.

The Modernist wrote:This year the gloves will be off and the troops will be rallied.
And to signal my intent, I shall be returning to my classic username and avator for the duration of the cup. So no messin'!


viewtopic.php?f=43&t=99081


Is it too much to hope that our sweet prince may allow himself a lap of honour under his Jennings guise to appease the clamouring masses?
Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.



Diamond Dog wrote:Bit embarrassed, are we? Try to make light of it, shall we?


User avatar
Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Posts: 8179
Joined: 02 Nov 2003, 16:57
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 21 Mar 2011, 13:05

Congrats!
the Eagles suck.

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 39592
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 21 Mar 2011, 13:08

Where the hell is he anyway?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Jeff K
The Original K
Posts: 32690
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:08
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Jeff K » 21 Mar 2011, 13:09

neville harp wrote:Is it too much to hope that our sweet prince may allow himself a lap of honour under his Jennings guise to appease the clamouring masses?


That won't be for awhile now that he's riding the crest of popularity under his Modernist nickname. He'll milk it for all its worth.

Where is the Champion anyway? He hasn't been seen or commented on his victory since the cup's completion. Most likely taking a well-deserved rest on the French Riviera with some super models. The competition must have been draining for him, the poor boy.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16073
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby gash on ignore » 21 Mar 2011, 13:25

Jeff K wrote:Where is the Champion anyway? He hasn't been seen or commented on his victory since the cup's completion. Most likely taking a well-deserved rest on the French Riviera with some super models. The competition must have been draining for him, the poor boy.


I'm sure that the energy and digital dexterity it took to compose and send thousands of PM's begging us to vote for his list necessitated a break of a few days.
Diamond Dog wrote:
That's it.

I've taken the decision.

I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.



Diamond Dog wrote:Bit embarrassed, are we? Try to make light of it, shall we?


User avatar
whodathunkit
Posts: 12173
Joined: 20 Aug 2004, 23:45
Location: Down in the boondocks

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby whodathunkit » 21 Mar 2011, 13:27

Jeff K wrote:Where is the Champion anyway? He hasn't been seen or commented on his victory since the cup's completion.


Moving into the Pantheon. That John_K probably left it in a right old state. A three-skip job at least!

Well done Moddie.
Image

The Modernist

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Mar 2011, 13:28

Well I'm glad that's over!

I've said in the past that I'd never have a chance of winning as my taste was too outside the BCB mainstream -so what happened this year? I really don't know, but there seemed to be a shift in the way people were voting, so lists I liked were progressing. Whereas in the past I often found myself voting with 30-40% of the board, this year it seemed 50-50. In the past it was often the more groove orientated lists that suffered, but that wasn't the case this year and those kind of lists were doing well.
Thanks to Bleep for some nice comments and a very adventurous list that captured people's imaginations. If he hadn't gone so far out with his final five then he would probably have won the final, but he went out on a statement of intent.
Wilson is talking a load of old cobblers when he calls it an NME list, the likes of Lonnie Liston Smith, Leon Thomas or Art Blakey weren't being written about in the NME I can assure you. I did try and make my initial ten a bit wider in appeal while retaining my core musical identity. As the competition progressed my list became more familiar as something I might compile. At every stage I thought I'd be defeated but often I benefitted from a nice draw and kept squeezing through.
Thanks for the support from a number of people throughout the competition and I hope those that were more disparaging could at least find some things to dig.
Lastly thanks to The Masked Man for organising the longest one yet, it must have been quite a trial!

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29421
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Mar 2011, 16:17

The Modernist wrote:Well I'm glad that's over!

I've said in the past that I'd never have a chance of winning as my taste was too outside the BCB mainstream -so what happened this year? I really don't know, but there seemed to be a shift in the way people were voting, so lists I liked were progressing. Whereas in the past I often found myself voting with 30-40% of the board, this year it seemed 50-50. In the past it was often the more groove orientated lists that suffered, but that wasn't the case this year and those kind of lists were doing well.
Thanks to Bleep for some nice comments and a very adventurous list that captured people's imaginations. If he hadn't gone so far out with his final five then he would probably have won the final, but he went out on a statement of intent.
Wilson is talking a load of old cobblers when he calls it an NME list, the likes of Lonnie Liston Smith, Leon Thomas or Art Blakey weren't being written about in the NME I can assure you. I did try and make my initial ten a bit wider in appeal while retaining my core musical identity. As the competition progressed my list became more familiar as something I might compile. At every stage I thought I'd be defeated but often I benefitted from a nice draw and kept squeezing through.
Thanks for the support from a number of people throughout the competition and I hope those that were more disparaging could at least find some things to dig.
Lastly thanks to The Masked Man for organising the longest one yet, it must have been quite a trial!



Yeah, yeah enough already. :roll:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 61919
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: BCB Cup 2011 The final - The Modernist Age!

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Mar 2011, 17:27

Pernille Birk Larsen wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Well I'm glad that's over!

I've said in the past that I'd never have a chance of winning as my taste was too outside the BCB mainstream -so what happened this year? I really don't know, but there seemed to be a shift in the way people were voting, so lists I liked were progressing. Whereas in the past I often found myself voting with 30-40% of the board, this year it seemed 50-50. In the past it was often the more groove orientated lists that suffered, but that wasn't the case this year and those kind of lists were doing well.
Thanks to Bleep for some nice comments and a very adventurous list that captured people's imaginations. If he hadn't gone so far out with his final five then he would probably have won the final, but he went out on a statement of intent.
Wilson is talking a load of old cobblers when he calls it an NME list, the likes of Lonnie Liston Smith, Leon Thomas or Art Blakey weren't being written about in the NME I can assure you. I did try and make my initial ten a bit wider in appeal while retaining my core musical identity. As the competition progressed my list became more familiar as something I might compile. At every stage I thought I'd be defeated but often I benefitted from a nice draw and kept squeezing through.
Thanks for the support from a number of people throughout the competition and I hope those that were more disparaging could at least find some things to dig.
Lastly thanks to The Masked Man for organising the longest one yet, it must have been quite a trial!



Yeah, yeah enough already. :roll:


You'd think he dismantled a bomb or something.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.