Some observations about links...

Thesiger

Re: Some observations about links...

Postby Thesiger » 25 Feb 2010, 20:16

I was going to use Rising Sun by Medicine Head, a 1973 UK hit for discerning listeners d'un age certain, but the link on YouTube was so appalling in terms of how they look and how the German studio audience responds (i.e. with complete indifference) that I thought the better of it. And the Cup is so much the loser from this omission (I hear you say). :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4plHOtiGpfo
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 25 Feb 2010, 20:29

Thesiger wrote:I was going to use Rising Sun by Medicine Head, a 1973 UK hit for discerning listeners d'un age certain, but the link on YouTube was so appalling in terms of how they look and how the German studio audience responds (i.e. with complete indifference) that I thought the better of it. And the Cup is so much the loser from this omission (I hear you say). :)

B
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 25 Feb 2010, 20:36

I decided to use only things I could youtube link to in a bid to offset the cries of obscurity. It didn't work! :lol:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Feb 2010, 20:40

El Modernisto wrote:I decided to use only things I could youtube link to in a bid to offset the cries of obscurity. It didn't work! :lol:

That's what I did too. I built an original list of around 30 songs, but only used the ones that had pretty good youtube videos.

It killed me with Tina Turner but kept me going with the Fat Boys, I think.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 25 Feb 2010, 21:27

I tried to use Teenage Fanclub's Dumb Dumb Dumb or GOd Knows It's True, only to find the links seriously lacking. :( I substituted some ELP instead. :lol:
the Eagles suck.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 25 Feb 2010, 22:14

Thesiger wrote:I was going to use Rising Sun by Medicine Head, a 1973 UK hit for discerning listeners d'un age certain, but the link on YouTube was so appalling in terms of how they look and how the German studio audience responds (i.e. with complete indifference) that I thought the better of it. And the Cup is so much the loser from this omission (I hear you say). :)

Link or no link, that would have been an "instant win" pick for me :D !

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 25 Feb 2010, 22:16

Matty Red Sox wrote:I tried to use Teenage Fanclub's Dumb Dumb Dumb or GOd Knows It's True, only to find the links seriously lacking. :( I substituted some ELP instead. :lol:

TFC would be a vote winner with or without links. ELP, the opposite. I take the Fartpants 'who has time to click on 40 links per night?' option.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 25 Feb 2010, 22:23

Rank Bajin wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:I tried to use Teenage Fanclub's Dumb Dumb Dumb or GOd Knows It's True, only to find the links seriously lacking. :( I substituted some ELP instead. :lol:

TFC would be a vote winner with or without links.

Actually, I linked to "God Knows It's True," which is obviously a great (and often now overlooked TF period) and was criticized. Something to the effect of wrong band, wrong song. Which is obviously false, but I can't vote for everyone. To add insult to injury, the link was a crappy sounding live version, which doesn't really cut it for me, but I let my heart rule my head. Not that a better link would've done me any good.

I agree with martha that they're a double edged sword, but you have to have enough confidence in your list to go with it and be sure that the songs haven't aged poorly and are still jams.

So I only used songs I could link to on Youtube, but as a practical matter, I almost never use them when voting on other lists. As I've said over and over again, I'm pretty convinced that people mostly vote based on first impressions. Still, I insisted on links just to cover all the bases. A lot of damn good it did me. :roll:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Feb 2010, 22:33

martha wrote:Did anyone else experience that? For those of us that used links with our lists did you ever NOT use a track because you could not find a link or because you didn't care for the accompanying visuals?

Yes, to the former.

If I knew how to transfer vinyl to digital *and* upload files to Youtube, I would have just put 'em up myself, but...

There's this one version of I Can't Stand It by the Velvet Underground that was on a vinyl boot called Live '68 & which I've never seen anywhere else that contains honest to God what is Lou Reed's best ever guitar solo and that would have on its own totally won the entire contest for me, but... there was no clip on Youtube. :(

Stupid technology.
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 26 Feb 2010, 04:14

Anyone who knows me knows that there is no ELP on my list... sadly there is also no Fannies either.
the Eagles suck.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Feb 2010, 05:30

I toyed with the idea of using them, but after a few minutes of searching for the first one I went to look for, the whole thing annoyed me too much. Ultimately I just concluded that not enough people would look at the links anyhow.

I seldom click any links myself. I do check out tracks on lists I like, But usually at a later date.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 26 Feb 2010, 06:31

I've had a couple of bad link experiences, where I checked out the link only to find that the song was utterly total crap. In fact, links have caused me to vote against lists more than they have caused me to vote for them. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

It is a double-edged sword, then.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 26 Feb 2010, 15:48

martha wrote:Well what do folks think about linking to an uploaded audio file of the whole playlist?

I can't see it working. I don't have the time to listen to even 1 new song all the way through per list, let alone every one of a playlist. It's better to have links at song level, so you can check out a song.

Or are you saying you could select just the song you want from a playlist, in which case it isn't any different from the Youtube type links, unless you can include songs that aren't on Youtube. Which would be good.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 26 Feb 2010, 15:49

martha wrote:Well what do folks think about linking to an uploaded audio file of the whole playlist?

How would you do that?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Feb 2010, 15:54

I think it's obvious that links don't really help your list at all, frankly.
Copehead wrote:I was helping out the victims of virtue signaling in the Ghettos before this was even an issue in the wider world.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 26 Feb 2010, 17:19

Goat Boy wrote:I think it's obvious that links don't really help your list at all, frankly.

Are you saying we can't bribe the judges with delicious pork sausages?

Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 26 Feb 2010, 18:44

martha wrote:I like sausage. You have my vote.

It's an impractical idea. I think uploading songs yourself that you can't get a decent link for is the answer.

That's what I did for the John Kongos and John Cale tunes on my list - made stupid little videos for 'em and slapped 'em up on YouTube. Not that it helped.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 26 Feb 2010, 18:59

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
martha wrote:I like sausage. You have my vote.

It's an impractical idea. I think uploading songs yourself that you can't get a decent link for is the answer.

That's what I did for the John Kongos and John Cale tunes on my list - made stupid little videos for 'em and slapped 'em up on YouTube. Not that it helped.

True... although i have a bit of a personal thing against John Kongos right now... I love the Step On 'Mondays tune... but am not fond of the rest and I recently found this out when I over payed for the LP. :cry:
the Eagles suck.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 27 Feb 2010, 19:10

Matty Red Sox wrote:True... although i have a bit of a personal thing against John Kongos right now...

He still speaks very highly of you.