Things that I'd put on my list, but I'm afraid ...

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Things that I'd put on my list, but I'm afraid ...

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Feb 2010, 05:35

... afraid that these songs would out me really quickly... I have championed these bands once too often...

So you who are in it and you who are out... was there any song that you dropped because you knew that there were several posters who would have known it was you? Honestly, I try to guess who is who, but am useless at it. I envy those of you who can figure who is who.
the Eagles suck.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Re: Things that I'd put on my list, but I'm afraid ...

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Feb 2010, 06:29

So martha, have you any guess who's beating you? I have no idea which is yours... there's just too many to try to figure out. I thought I saw yours in round one, but then that list went out.
the Eagles suck.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Feb 2010, 06:40

martha wrote:
You've voted for me both rounds, and thank you very much.

Just remember to return the favor....

I wanted to add this too.

the Eagles suck.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 18 Feb 2010, 07:31

I was seriously thinking about Wicked Game or Blue Hotel but demurred in the end
king of the divan

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Feb 2010, 07:35

neverknows wrote:No Chris Isaak this year. You people are not ready.

Are you ready?
the Eagles suck.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Feb 2010, 16:57

Matty Red Sox wrote:
martha wrote:
You've voted for me both rounds, and thank you very much.

Just remember to return the favor....

I wanted to add this too.

I seriously thought about adding Too Much Monkey Business, but I doubt it would've helped.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Feb 2010, 17:18

I just listened to Play with Toys a couple of weeks ago; what a great album and I do think it's more of an all-in-one-go proposition than it is compilation fodder.

It's a pretty radical hip hop album - if it even is one - because it has skits, but it incorporates them into the songs rather than having awkward stand-alone "comedy" segments. And there's a nice overall narrative arc to it.

You have the original version, I assume? I understand a lot of snippets (not really "samples" per se) weren't cleared and so were removed on later pressings. Can't imagine it's anywhere near as good without that stuff.

Not that that has anything to do with the BCB cup.

None of the Brits on the board are ever going to vote for West Coast punk so yeah, X would have been list suicide.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Feb 2010, 17:47

Or you can be brave enough to list stuff you really like.
Just a suggestion..

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Feb 2010, 18:11

El Modernisto wrote:Or you can be brave enough to list stuff you really like.
Just a suggestion..

Why? I don't do it when I'm DJing... just because I'm in the mood to hear some classical music, doesn't mean the whole club should. I treat the cup the same way, I want the most popular club, and if I'm not up to it so be it...

This has nothing to do with bravery in my opinion, it has to do with sensing the pulse of the crowd and delivering on what they want. I've seen/heard plenty of DJ's with impeccable taste but questionable judgment destroy a fun evening.
the Eagles suck.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 18 Feb 2010, 18:17

Matty Red Sox wrote:
Why? I don't do it when I'm DJing... just because I'm in the mood to hear some classical music, doesn't mean the whole club should. I treat the cup the same way, I want the most popular club, and if I'm not up to it so be it...

This has nothing to do with bravery in my opinion, it has to do with sensing the pulse of the crowd and delivering on what they want. I've seen/heard plenty of DJ's with impeccable taste but questionable judgment destroy a fun evening.

"Too right!"

;)

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Feb 2010, 18:20

El Modernisto wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:

"Too right!"

;)

Your reference is sadly lost on me. But I'll take it as an insult if you'd like... I'm too busy banging out my next five tunes to really be upset. :lol:
the Eagles suck.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 19 Feb 2010, 01:03

I don't think the Basehead or X would've "outed" you, but the Basehead would've only gotten maybe three or four votes.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 19 Feb 2010, 02:42

Matty Red Sox wrote:
Just a suggestion..

As a DJ, my philosophy involves elements of either argument. Reading a crowd is crucial, yet...I dunno, they may as well program a fucking iPod if my own personality has no bearing on the event. I've seen questionable judgement used in the service of well intended but ultimately failed pandering. You gotta try shit, and you gotta go out on a limb sometimes.

As cup entrants we are all DJing to an extent, but...fuck, man - the very possibility (however remote) of seeing Captain and Tenille in a winning list was far more enticing than...I dunno, losing OR winning with a more calculated entry.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Feb 2010, 04:57

Sir John San Juan And His Old Lady wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:
Just a suggestion..

As a DJ, my philosophy involves elements of either argument. Reading a crowd is crucial, yet...I dunno, they may as well program a fucking iPod if my own personality has no bearing on the event. I've seen questionable judgement used in the service of well intended but ultimately failed pandering. You gotta try shit, and you gotta go out on a limb sometimes.

As cup entrants we are all DJing to an extent, but...fuck, man - the very possibility (however remote) of seeing Captain and Tenille in a winning list was far more enticing than...I dunno, losing OR winning with a more calculated entry.

The cynic in me says the Captain and Tenille is the most calcuated entry yet.

But I disagree with the Mods. Of course you put on stuff you really like, but it's also about intuiting the mood, or divining the gestalt, of BCB. The canonist/obscurantist divide is a smokescreen, a red herring. A successful list has figured out what people like without them thinking of it beforehand, so people go "Yes! I love that song!"

It's the key to unlocking the door to the mind of BCB.

:lol:
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 19 Feb 2010, 05:05

Snarfyguy wrote:The cynic in me says the Captain and Tenille is the most calcuated entry yet.

At my most objective, I think that record is so fucking ace that...yeah, I guess there was some hope that - viewed in a certain context - there would be a certain (relevant to the remainder of your post, I think) non-reflexive recognition of "Yeah, that IS a fucking jam - no matter what I've been telling myself lo these last 35 years".

But...it was a gamble. With satisfyingly mixed results, I think.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Feb 2010, 05:22

Snarfyguy wrote:The cynic in me says the Captain and Tenille is the most calcuated entry yet.

At my most objective, I think that record is so fucking ace that...yeah, I guess there was some hope that - viewed in a certain context - there would be a certain (relevant to the remainder of your post, I think) non-reflexive recognition of "Yeah, that IS a fucking jam - no matter what I've been telling myself lo these last 35 years".

Sorry, I didn't realize that was your choice, and I don't even mean to use the word 'calculated' in a pejorative sense. All our choices are calculated to elicit a certain response and yeah, that reaction in quotes above, is exactly what I was talking about. I think it was a very well-calculated and canny choice, especially considering (or even regardless of the fact that) Daryl Dragon pretty much was The Beach Boys for like five minutes when no one else gave a shit in like '74 or so. His keyboard textures are solid gold.

Hats off.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 19 Feb 2010, 05:26

Snarfyguy wrote:

Sorry, I didn't realize that was your choice, and I don't even mean to use the word 'calculated' in a pejorative sense. All our choices are calculated to elicit a certain response and yeah, that reaction in quotes above, is exactly what I was talking about. I think it was a very well-calculated and canny choice, especially considering (or even regardless of the fact that) Daryl Dragon pretty much was The Beach Boys for like five minutes when no one else gave a shit in like '74 or so. His keyboard textures are solid gold.

Hats off.

Oh, I've seen C&T do a pretty rotten "Shop Around" on a bootlegged Midnight Special DVD within the past few days, so I do understand the very band name eliciting a certain...queasiness.

But, God-DAMN, next time "Love Will..." comes up on the oldies station, CRANK THAT FUCKER UP. It is one of the JUICIEST, FATTEST sounding records I've ever heard.

And the bridge is the shit.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 19 Feb 2010, 11:49

Any of these, although not entirely without merit, would be a certain kiss of death:

Styx
Marillion
Coldplay
Pavlov's Dog
Genesis
ELP
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 19 Feb 2010, 11:52

"Crack City" - Tin Machine
"Star, Star" - Stones
Among many others I suspect...

12stringbassist

Postby 12stringbassist » 19 Feb 2010, 12:47

My list got sniffed at for having 'Always the last to know' by Del Amitri in it. Which is great.
At least it wasn't the rather worrying 'Nothing ever happens'.
The world was holding its breath waiting for me to post that, obviously......