What have you discovered?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: What have you discovered?

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Jan 2010, 14:45

El Modernisto wrote:The people who refuse to watch are the ones with the timidity of taste, essentially they're saying I'm not interested in anything outside my comfort zone.
You should be disappointed in yourself.

Yes! It's obvious nobody is listening to my youtube clips :(
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 28 Jan 2010, 14:52

Yep, fuck the links, complete waste of time as far as I'm concerned. If people are stupid enough to post 10 really obscure songs that only about 8 people on MySpace have ever heard before, then you're not getting my fucking vote.

Put it this way - let's say the average song length is 3 minutes (mind you, given the number of cape wearing Prog fans on here, it could be 3 hours in some cases). There are 20 songs per match - or one hour of music, plus connection time. Griff posted 8 matches last night - that is potentially 8 hours of music to listen to before voting. Even if you've heard 50% of the songs before, it's still half an hour per match x 64 matches in the first round alone. If anyone on here has enough time to do that, then they need to get out more. Or more succinctly, if anybody really cares about the BCB Cup that much, then they seriously need to have a fucking word with themselves.

I will readily admit that of the 14 matches so far, I reckon I've heard around 20 - 25% of the songs listed at best. List A might have 10 great but really obscure songs, and list B might have 3 really good and well known songs and 7 not so well known. In that case I'm voting B.

Posting 10 unknown songs is never going to win this competition. I'd say you need at least 6 - 7 songs that at least 80% of the people on here will have definitely heard before as a starting point in Round 1. You might have a list of 10 great songs, but if nobody has heard 8 of them, you're fucked from the start. The vast majority of us don't have time to fanny about with links to http://www.neverfuckingheardofit.com

So erm ... rant over. Do carry on.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 28 Jan 2010, 15:00

I vote for Fartpants

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 28 Jan 2010, 15:03

Johnny Fartpants wrote:Yep, fuck the links, complete waste of time as far as I'm concerned. If people are stupid enough to post 10 really obscure songs that only about 8 people on MySpace have ever heard before, then you're not getting my fucking vote.

Put it this way - let's say the average song length is 3 minutes (mind you, given the number of cape wearing Prog fans on here, it could be 3 hours in some cases). There are 20 songs per match - or one hour of music, plus connection time. Griff posted 8 matches last night - that is potentially 8 hours of music to listen to before voting. Even if you've heard 50% of the songs before, it's still half an hour per match x 64 matches in the first round alone. If anyone on here has enough time to do that, then they need to get out more. Or more succinctly, if anybody really cares about the BCB Cup that much, then they seriously need to have a fucking word with themselves.

I will readily admit that of the 14 matches so far, I reckon I've heard around 20 - 25% of the songs listed at best. List A might have 10 great but really obscure songs, and list B might have 3 really good and well known songs and 7 not so well known. In that case I'm voting B.

Posting 10 unknown songs is never going to win this competition. I'd say you need at least 6 - 7 songs that at least 80% of the people on here will have definitely heard before as a starting point in Round 1. You might have a list of 10 great songs, but if nobody has heard 8 of them, you're fucked from the start. The vast majority of us don't have time to fanny about with links to http://www.neverfuckingheardofit.com

So erm ... rant over. Do carry on.

This is what we're up against I'm afraid - a guy in his mid 40s who has been listening to music for 30 + years but has never bothered to look beyond his teenage tastes just in case his prejudices are challenged.
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 28 Jan 2010, 15:38

neville harp wrote:This is what we're up against I'm afraid - a guy in his mid 40s who has been listening to music for 30 + years but has never bothered to look beyond his teenage tastes just in case his prejudices are challenged.

This is what we're up against I'm afraid - a guy who imagines some kind of moral imperatives to be a better listener are meaningful to anyone but himself.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 28 Jan 2010, 15:56

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
neville harp wrote:This is what we're up against I'm afraid - a guy in his mid 40s who has been listening to music for 30 + years but has never bothered to look beyond his teenage tastes just in case his prejudices are challenged.

This is what we're up against I'm afraid - a guy who imagines some kind of moral imperatives to be a better listener are meaningful to anyone but himself.

Either that or he's bitter that his list is on it's way out in the first round for the third consecutive year :lol:
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Jan 2010, 16:10

I don't think too many people deliberately put together obscure lists though. Mine is one which has been called "obscure" (repeatedly), but I swear that thought never crossed my mind when I was preparing it. I didn't want to use hit singles that we all know (now I realize I should've) so instead opted for deep cuts which people who own the albums would know. Never once did I think "Oh yeah, not too many people will know this."

I was genuinely surprised when the claims of obscurity began to pile up.

If I make it to the second round than I can rectify that by putting five canon songs in but then I feel guilty.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jan 2010, 16:40

Lance Matthew wrote:I don't think too many people deliberately put together obscure lists though. Mine is one which has been called "obscure" (repeatedly), but I swear that thought never crossed my mind when I was preparing it. I didn't want to use hit singles that we all know (now I realize I should've) so instead opted for deep cuts which people who own the albums would know. Never once did I think "Oh yeah, not too many people will know this."

I was genuinely surprised when the claims of obscurity began to pile up.

If I make it to the second round than I can rectify that by putting five canon songs in but then I feel guilty.

Well as we're saying on the other thread, there are many ways to approach this but I still think the go with wht you love option is the best one even if it will get you the odd sneer. I hope you stick to your guns Matt!
I have no idea which one is your list -I'm going to try and find it.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Jan 2010, 16:53

El Modernisto wrote: I have no idea which one is your list -I'm going to try and find it.

Well, if you and San Juany can find my list just because I said many have called it obscure (when there are currently 28 lists on this page) then more power to you.

I certainly wasn't trying to reveal myself on purpose.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 28 Jan 2010, 16:57

Lance Matthew wrote:

I know that.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 28 Jan 2010, 16:58

El Modernisto wrote:
Well as we're saying on the other thread, there are many ways to approach this but I still think the go with what you love option is the best one even if it will get you the odd sneer.

I, personally, feel that this is the only approach worth a damn.

Should you win, the win will be all the sweeter for it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Jan 2010, 17:27

...somebody has voted twice in the same match but for different lists! I guess choosing one or the other is too difficult for some :roll:
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Django

Postby Django » 28 Jan 2010, 17:29

Goat Boy wrote:...somebody has voted twice in the same match but for different lists! I guess choosing one or the other is too difficult for some :roll:

It's not me, is it?
Lid P wrote:Ozzy bit a cow in half and there was milk everywhere

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Jan 2010, 17:34

django wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:...somebody has voted twice in the same match but for different lists! I guess choosing one or the other is too difficult for some :roll:

It's not me, is it?

Not as far as I know, Django.

Django

Postby Django » 28 Jan 2010, 17:39

Goat Boy wrote:
django wrote:

It's not me, is it?

Not as far as I know, Django.

Good. I thought I'd done that yesterday, but then checked and I hadn't - as far as I could see. :?
Lid P wrote:Ozzy bit a cow in half and there was milk everywhere

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 28 Jan 2010, 20:59

Oh get your head out of your bumhole. ;)

Seriously, how many people on here have time to click on 10 - 20 youtube clips, in 64 matches, just to decide what bloody list to vote for. It's fuck all to do with musical taste.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 28 Jan 2010, 21:01

Sir John San Juan And His Old Lady wrote:
Lance Matthew wrote:

I know that.

Try telling that to the LAPD.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 28 Jan 2010, 21:03

Johnny Fartpants wrote:

Seriously, how many people on here have time to click on 10 - 20 youtube clips, in 64 matches, just to decide what bloody list to vote for. It's fuck all to do with musical taste.

I was hoping for a "Homo" at least

....erm that came out all wrong :lol:

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Jan 2010, 21:08

neville harp wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:

I was hoping for a "Homo" at least

....erm that came out all wrong :lol:

Don't worry...it takes a lot of courage to come out in the first place. We still support you. Well, Fartpants does, anyway.

;)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 28 Jan 2010, 23:50

I have learned I don't have time to do this! I got a lot out of the first two, but I just can't keep up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -