martha wrote:For the bitter thing, I gave at the office and it didn't go so well for me. So instead some thanks to everyone who participated this year in the cup, thereby allowing me to play.
Some benefits of the cup for me:
1. I had fun, natural fun and it took my mind off real life issues that I'm dealing with.
2. Exposed me to great music I hadn't heard before.
3. I like competition and games in general.
4. I enjoyed all the theoretical discussions as to why we vote the way we vote, division lines between Q and Mojo readers, what constitutes a BCB canon, and all the other conjecture.
5. Got me more interested in BCB and BCBers again.
6. Despite losing, it validated my musical tastes via large scale consensus and gave me a real sense of belonging here.
7. I got some fantastic compliments on my list and really enjoyed myself.
8. It was fun! I had a blast.
I nearly made it to the semifinals. Thank you for that -- it was quite a ride. I was excited to be here playing and I had boatloads of fun. So a big fat thank you to everyone for joining and playing and voting and letting me join and vote and play, because I had a blast. Thank you BCB from the cockles of my heart and quite sincerely too.
You pretty much took the words out of my mouth. I played this because of a need for numbers - I had never even looked at this section of the forum before and quite honestly would have been expecting to be laughed out the door for my tastes. So it was quite a morale booster to do as well as I did, despite some mealy-mouthed comments occasionally
That all said, not too sure whether I would try this again. Some people take the competition element far too seriously.....