BCB CUP 09: SEMI FINAL 1 - The Fall of Coan!

Bungo the Mungo

Re: BCB CUP 09: SEMI FINAL 1 - The Fall of Coan!

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Mar 2009, 23:00

:o

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Mar 2009, 23:01

Sir John Coan wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I'm just amused that you had a Dylan song on your list.

Did it hurt?

:D

I like that song, really. And I thought it might put people off the trail, a bit.

Griff said I wouldn't have got as far as I did last year if people had known it was my list. :evil:

I knew it was you, and while I didn't vote for you this round, it's only because you went up against the best remaining list- you would have gotten my vote against either of the others. You had a good run, and some congrats are surely in order. And now you've lost to the same list as I did. Though you had a much better showing.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Mar 2009, 23:05

Thanks.

It was fun while it lasted. Altho' I can't help feeling - even tho' I stayed in almost until the bitter end - that the initial stages are more lively and more enjoyable. It was frenetic this year, and more voters than ever.

Good luck to both finalists. Even that Bloom character.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 03 Mar 2009, 23:09

Well I've been supporting your list all the way John. Unlucky.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 03 Mar 2009, 23:14

Well, at least we know who Ian Bond really is.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Mar 2009, 23:15

Dr Modernist wrote:Well I've been supporting your list all the way John. Unlucky.

Are you sure? :lol:

Thanks anyway, G.

I think something could be done about the initial 64 lists, by the way. Each participant could choose two, or five, or whatever - of their initial lists. Songs that aren't known, songs that are really special. Then compilations could be made. Something like that.

Something, anyway. Those lists are sort of wasted, if you know what I mean. People put thought into them.

Apart from C, of course

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Mar 2009, 23:16

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Well, at least we know who Ian Bond really is.

I wish I knew. He's a fuckin' pain, that fella.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 03 Mar 2009, 23:58

toomanyhatz wrote:I knew it was you,

I knew it was him too.

Mainly because he used about five of the same songs he did last year when he got to the final.

Not only is he a cheat, he's really bad at hiding it too.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Mar 2009, 00:01

Professor Digital wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I knew it was you,

I knew it was him too.

Mainly because he used about five of the same songs he did last year when he got to the final.

Not only is he a cheat, he's really bad at hiding it too.

:evil:

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 04 Mar 2009, 00:02

:lol:

You weren't the only one, incidentally - I had it pointed out to me via PM that another poster (who shall remain nameless) had used, in his initial ten, four of the songs he used in his initial ten last time - resulting in a first-round exit both times.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Mar 2009, 00:05

Professor Digital wrote::lol:

You weren't the only one, incidentally - I had it pointed out to me via PM that another poster (who shall remain nameless) had used, in his initial ten, four of the songs he used in his initial ten last time - resulting in a first-round exit both times.

Well that's just plain stupid!

Seriously - I don't think there's anything wrong in using some of the same songs from one year to the next. You were the only one to notice and comment on this, I think. I really can't see how this can be regarded as cheating.

Anyway, I honestly didn't know that I had (altho' if you'd have asked, I would have thought it possible) - I didn't check previous lists.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 04 Mar 2009, 00:08

Sir John Coan wrote:

Seriously - I don't think there's anything wrong in using some of the same songs from one year to the next. You were the only one to notice and comment on this, I think. I really can't see how this can be regarded as cheating.

Anyway, I honestly didn't know that I had (altho' if you'd have asked, I would have thought it possible) - I didn't check previous lists.

Yes you fucking did - you asked if it was OK in a thread about 2 days before the competition started!

I think it is cheating - if someone just copied a load of songs from the previous year's winning list, that'd be cheating, right? So copying half a dozen songs from the runner-up list is cheating too, as a list based around those songs has already shown it can be successful in the cup.

Basically what I'm saying is that you're a cunt and should be banned from participating in future.
Ian Bond is perfectly welcome to join in though, as long as he's drawn against Ron Viveur.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 04 Mar 2009, 00:12

Professor Digital wrote:Basically what I'm saying is that you're a cunt and should be banned from participating in future.
Ian Bond is perfectly welcome to join in though, as long as he's drawn against Ron Viveur.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Mar 2009, 00:14

Professor Digital wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

Yes you fucking did - you asked if it was OK in a thread about 2 days before the competition started!

Did I? :lol:

I think it is cheating - if someone just copied a load of songs from the previous year's winning list, that'd be cheating, right? So copying half a dozen songs from the runner-up list is cheating too, as a list based around those songs has already shown it can be successful in the cup.

Two points:

there's a big difference between copying the whole of a winning list, or most of it, and using half-a-dozen of the same songs from a runner-up list in consecutive years

we're all entitled to do this, so we all have the same chances

I'm positive I wasn't the only one to do this. And I didn't fucking win, anyway. So nothing's lost.

You did get a bee in your bonnet about this one, Ed. I didn't think it was worth kicking up such a stink.

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 04 Mar 2009, 00:15

john should have won his list was great.you all had good lists i think but his was probaly the best.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Mar 2009, 00:17

Yep. Thanks, Ian.

Mr. Meat

Postby Mr. Meat » 04 Mar 2009, 00:19

Ish my shon here AGAIN?

My friendsh - apologiesh. Kindly ignore the little bashtard. I'll short him out once we get home.

Now - if you'll excushe me.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 04 Mar 2009, 00:21

Sir John Coan wrote:there's a big difference between copying the whole of a winning list, or most of it, and using half-a-dozen of the same songs from a runner-up list in consecutive years

we're all entitled to do this, so we all have the same chances

For what it's worth, I agree with this. It can't be cheating since it doesn't really reap much advantage. And are all participants now supposed to start double-checking that they're not re-using tracks from previous years? The sharp-eyed among us should be able to catch this and punish it (if that's what they choose to do) anyway.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 04 Mar 2009, 00:32

Next year everybody should start with this year's winning list and add to it.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 04 Mar 2009, 12:01

I've voted with A in each round I think. I was convinced it was Coan!