This year's big acts

The Modernist

This year's big acts

Postby The Modernist » 05 Feb 2009, 19:35

In 2009 it seems BCB has gone for...Yo La Tango, Diana Ross, Nick Cave, New Order, Can, Neu, William Bell and Gang Of Four.

A motley crew to be sure (Motley Crue are my prediction for 2010 btw).

Anyone I missed? Any comments?

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Re: This year's big acts

Postby Butch Manly » 05 Feb 2009, 20:02

Dr Modernist wrote:Yo La Tango, Diana Ross, Nick Cave, New Order, Can, Neu, William Bell and Gang Of Four.

*Heads back to drawing board*

:(
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Feb 2009, 20:04

Next year I'm going for Styx, Kansas, Rush, Ted Nugent, Journey & Triumph, but not the obvious tune choices.
No, I'm talking the good songs.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 05 Feb 2009, 20:08

I think the Krautrock turnout is to be expected - it's long been a healthy bias on BCB and this is the first year I remember it being really expressed. And in Can, you have a band which are actually capable of reaching out beyond the experts. I put them in my list, first, because I've genuinely been blown away by the discovery of 'Halleluwhah' in the last year, but also because they're a band who take me out of my poppy comfort zone and give me some edge. I'll be up front about that. Clearly, the calculation backfired - hard for Can to be edgy when every man and his dog are picking them as well.

I'm most frustrated about the William Bell situation. I honestly could've picked about four other Bell numbers - especially 'Crying All By Myself', which I prefer to 'I Forgot to Be Your Lover' - but I judged that 'IFTBYL' would have greater visibility from its recent inclusion on Take Me to the River. Unfortunately, everyone else judged the same!

I'm very interested by the cyclical group-think of how we pick artists every year. I'm also interested in how one can inadvertently appear very foolish and hackneyed by coinciding with lots of other people. It's a minefield.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 05 Feb 2009, 20:18

Leg of lamb wrote:I'm very interested by the cyclical group-think of how we pick artists every year. I'm also interested in how one can inadvertently appear very foolish and hackneyed by coinciding with lots of other people. It's a minefield.

The best way around it is to be wilfully obscure. That's what I was aiming for by picking complete unknowns like Gene Clark, Caetano Veloso, Brenda Holloway, the Congos and John Cale, anyway. Wouldn't expect anyone on a music board to have heard of any of them.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 05 Feb 2009, 20:22

penk! wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:I'm very interested by the cyclical group-think of how we pick artists every year. I'm also interested in how one can inadvertently appear very foolish and hackneyed by coinciding with lots of other people. It's a minefield.

The best way around it is to be wilfully obscure. That's what I was aiming for by picking complete unknowns like Gene Clark, Caetano Veloso, Brenda Holloway, the Congos and John Cale, anyway. Wouldn't expect anyone on a music board to have heard of any of them.

:?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 05 Feb 2009, 20:42

penk! wrote:

yes, well said penk.

for a board of music geeks it's absolutely shocking what's considered willfully obscure.

i think i might choose a beatles b-side next year, just to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

of course i'll post a youtube link with it.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Feb 2009, 20:47

solarskope wrote:i think i might choose a beatles b-side next year, just to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Surely you only know how to input "West Ham" into the Youtube searchbar?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 05 Feb 2009, 20:51

Diamond Dog wrote:
solarskope wrote:i think i might choose a beatles b-side next year, just to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Surely you only know how to input "West Ham" into the Youtube searchbar?

"west ham united" to you.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Feb 2009, 20:58

cat amongst the pigeons.

BROS!!!!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 05 Feb 2009, 21:01

solarskope wrote:
penk! wrote:

yes, well said penk.

for a board of music geeks it's absolutely shocking what's considered willfully obscure.

i think i might choose a beatles b-side next year, just to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

I assumed he was taking the piss.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 05 Feb 2009, 21:13

solarskope wrote:
penk! wrote: The best way around it is to be wilfully obscure. That's what I was aiming for by picking complete unknowns like Gene Clark, Caetano Veloso, Brenda Holloway, the Congos and John Cale, anyway. Wouldn't expect anyone on a music board to have heard of any of them.

yes, well said penk.

Actually I'm pretty sure that Cale has appeared on at least three lists and both Clark and Holloway have appeared on at least two.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 05 Feb 2009, 21:16

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
solarskope wrote:
penk! wrote: The best way around it is to be wilfully obscure. That's what I was aiming for by picking complete unknowns like Gene Clark, Caetano Veloso, Brenda Holloway, the Congos and John Cale, anyway. Wouldn't expect anyone on a music board to have heard of any of them.

yes, well said penk.

Actually I'm pretty sure that Cale has appeared on at least three lists and both Clark and Holloway have appeared on at least two.

i assume i was taking the piss.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 05 Feb 2009, 21:17

:lol:
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 05 Feb 2009, 22:14

Lance Matthew wrote:Next year I'm going for Styx, Kansas, Rush, Ted Nugent, Journey & Triumph, but not the obvious tune choices.
No, I'm talking the good songs.

The Nuge's Hey Baby is a cracker, and from the same era, how about Les Dudek's City Magic?
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 06 Feb 2009, 09:45

I don't understand the William Bell thing, a rightfully obscure Stax soul artist. Have we run out of songs by rightfully famous 60s and 70s soul artists so we have to start mining the second division now?

Why not Sam Cooke better singer better songs, same with Otis Redding, are they just a bit too obvious for us now or was 2007 the year of the Bell rediscovery?
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 06 Feb 2009, 10:10

It interests me, rather than pisses me off, that so many went for 'I Forgot....'. How can this be? Did someone start a thread on it recently?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Feb 2009, 10:17

Mrs. Remould wrote:It interests me, rather than pisses me off, that so many went for 'I Forgot....'. How can this be? Did someone start a thread on it recently?

I think it was included on the Take Me To The River compilation which has been pretty popular on this board hence its inclusion. Personally, I first heard it on that Mojo Soul Riot cd.
Last edited by Goat Boy on 06 Feb 2009, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 06 Feb 2009, 11:34

Copehead wrote:I don't understand the William Bell thing, a rightfully obscure Stax soul artist. Have we run out of songs by rightfully famous 60s and 70s soul artists so we have to start mining the second division now?

Why not Sam Cooke better singer better songs, same with Otis Redding, are they just a bit too obvious for us now or was 2007 the year of the Bell rediscovery?

You see I fundamentally disagree with this. Your idea that there is some premier league of famous soul artists -marvin, smokey, aretha etc. And below this some next division of slightly less famous soul singers -Soloman Burke say or Ann Peebles and then you have a division below this of more obscure names..and this is supposedly meant to be a guarantee of the respective quality of this stuff. I don't know where you get this stuff from, I don't know anyone who loves soul music who thinks this way. Are some of the records on Dave Godin's deep soul compilations poor because the artists are obscure?
This is nonsense frankly. It's about the record, it always has been.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 06 Feb 2009, 11:51

Dr Modernist wrote:In 2009 it seems BCB has gone for...Yo La Tango, Diana Ross, Nick Cave, New Order, Can, Neu, William Bell and Gang Of Four.

All of whom, with the possible exception of early New Order, are shite.