Bitter Recriminations 2009 - Now Bitterer Than Ever!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2009 - Now Bitterer Than Ever!

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Feb 2009, 00:45

Sir John Coan wrote:
Baron I wrote:You people are crazy. People vote for what they like or, in lieu of that, what it looks like they would probably like best.
It's the same every year, nothing's going to change it.

They're not listening, M. The truth doesn't sit well with their increasingly hysterical and paranoid claims.

Spoken like somebody who's still in.

And somebody who, last year, voted for the list that opposed me, giving the reason that the other list was me. I haven't forgotten. If the chance to get revenge becomes a tie-breaker, I certainly won't hesitate to use it. :twisted:

As I've made clear, I vote, not for the best selection of ten songs, but the best list. I think there's a difference.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Feb 2009, 00:58

toomanyhatz wrote:And somebody who, last year, voted for the list that opposed me, giving the reason that the other list was me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't remember doing that, but if I said it, then it was meant as a joke. Sorry!

Seriously tho', all this griping and over-analysing is draining some of the fun out of this competition. Some of the comments have been amusing, some of course well-intentioned and true - but it seems every year there's more of this kind of thing and it's increasingly bitter and snipey. There's been some of the most insane nonsense spouted, all manner of ridiculous second-guessing and unfounded suspicions. I don't get it.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Feb 2009, 01:01

But isn't that what this thread's supposed to be about?

I mean, I suppose it's all fair game on here- but it should all be tongue-in-cheek to some degree.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Feb 2009, 01:02

toomanyhatz wrote:But isn't that what this thread's supposed to be about?

Yes, yes, you're right. I'd almost forgotten about that.

Still....

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Feb 2009, 01:05

Sir John Coan wrote:

Still....

Just promise me that if (when?) you're eliminated, you won't skimp on the vitriol or the pettiness. :lol:

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Feb 2009, 01:07

toomanyhatz wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

Still....

Just promise me that if (when?) you're eliminated, you won't skimp on the vitriol or the pettiness. :lol:

Maybe it's strange, but I never want to do that.

I hope this doesn't come across all holier-than-thou, but vitriol is best saved for artists and music, rather than individuals on the board and their taste.

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 13 Feb 2009, 01:09

toomanyhatz wrote:
As I've made clear, I vote, not for the best selection of ten songs, but the best list. I think there's a difference.

There shouldn't be. In my case, the best list is the one with the most songs I like on it. I thought everyone voted for the list with the most songs they like on it.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Feb 2009, 01:11

The Red Heifer wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

There shouldn't be. In my case, the best list is the one with the most songs I like on it. I thought everyone voted for the list with the most songs they like on it.

So basically the key to winning is to take a song from each of the top ten BCB albums as of the last time we voted.

No sir, I don't like it.

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 13 Feb 2009, 01:15

toomanyhatz wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

So basically the key to winning is to take a song from each of the top ten BCB albums as of the last time we voted.

No sir, I don't like it.

That won't get my vote, have you seen that list? What a boring load of shit :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 13 Feb 2009, 02:55

I lost to a good, solid list which featured a number of songs that have actually been on my own in the past. So there's no shame in losing to that. Indeed, like a defeated candidate in the Presidential Primary, I will willingly offer my endorsement to said list. No, my problem is the shameless fact that too many good lists are put against oneanother, in some sort of bizarre fight to the death, while the mediocrities are left on their own waiting for the opportunity to sneak through the back door. So many people have suggested that both should have gone through, and indeed, those who liked cool grooves and tunes gravitated to mine. Far be it from me to suggest that griff has somehow gilded the matchings, yet a less charitable person would indeed suggest that the fix is in this time around. Pay heed of devious giraffes, my fellow BCBers, for you too could be next! And as for those turncoats (y'know who you are), well, I shall not forget your betrayal.

You have been warned. Action will be taken.
Last edited by The Write Profile on 15 Feb 2009, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 13 Feb 2009, 04:24

toomanyhatz wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

No sir, I don't like it.

I dunno. Its fun to complain and all, but it is all game theory, isn't it? Maybe the list you describe would win, maybe there'd be a backlash. Maybe it would take you to the finals where all of a sudden you'd take lumps for being too obvious. Who know? Who cares?

The notion that there is a right way to do this in an alternate universe somewhere is silly. You cast your lot with the taste brigade this time and it earned you the customary first round exit. Imagine that.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

mission

Postby mission » 13 Feb 2009, 06:19

Well, a few of you need to go into George Michael's bedroom, tilt your head back and have a good hard fucking look at yourself.

I have just been reamed by a list containing comedy tunes by the likes of Falco and Greedy Fucking Smith.

My alarmingly well-crafted assemblage of the whitest of white pop and the funkiest of funky good shit, leavened as it was with some contemporary pastoral pieces and measured out with soul-cleansing sorbets of light and bright intelligence, has been dryhumped by you fucking clowns in your hastiness to "have fun".

"Fun" in this case being the shuffling of feet and nervous sideways glances of the criminally unfunky. "Fun" in this case being the nerd's delight in being a bit whacky! I'm wild me! Look, look - I'm listening to Falco! Well, not actually listening. Thinking about it.

Download "Black Gladiator," turn up track 1, take off your carefully-chosen casualwear and dance like a motherfucker.

It is your only hope.

(Thanks to Griff for the comp - it's been a hoot and I hope to see list 14A triumph.)
Goodness gracious me.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Feb 2009, 07:39

And it's all a load of bollocks ultimately, because one thing we all have in common is a stubborn certainty that our way is the right one. But the fact of the matter is there's no pleasing everyone. A lot is involved, and at least some of it is which way the wind's blowing. I like the fact that the same songs and the same artists appear mysteriously. That'd only be possible if enough people stray from the purely BCB-ist.

I know it'd please Davey- it'd please the Taste Brigade, for that matter- to think that I was pandering to them. My main inspiration was nothing of the sort, however. It was to accomplish three things- one was to disguise myself enough so that the songs would stand alone and votes wouldn't be prejudiced- negative or positively- by being too identifiable. One was to take a stance about what I found important. Taking the entire Revolver album may have netted me up to 14 songs I thought superior to what just about anyone else can offer up, but it's not just about the best songs. I want to be surprised, enlightened, even outraged- and how can I ask that without offering it in return.

And finally, I wanted to win. I accomplished the first two. I'm still proud of my list. And even though most of it doesn't represent what I'd call my very favorite music (in anything more than an ephemeral way, anyway), it's all music I'm richer for hearing- and think others should feel the same.

I could pretend it doesn't bother me that most of the lists- mine included- that do what I want from these things are getting voted down. But the fact that it does goes beyond canon vs. obscure and diverse vs. focused. It's about making something more than just the sum of its parts. Because putting the parts together seems like part luck and part figuring out which way the wind's blowing and then turning in the proper direction. In that sort of situation going out early but fighting is almost a bigger accomplishment than figuring out what'll work. In that respect I've already gotten my award, so thank you all.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 13 Feb 2009, 13:02

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Feb 2009, 19:03

when will this sham be brought to an end?

this is BCB stinking to high heaven.

the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Feb 2009, 20:52

Now that we're in round two and I see that it's only five new songs mixed with the same ten songs we had previously I've almost completely lost interest.
Whenever I read a new match of two lists I get this sense of deja vu.."wait, I've seen that song on a list before".... "ooo, that one looks familiar."

I still say it would be much more interesting if each contestant could only use a song once so you'd have to come up with an entirely new list every round.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 13 Feb 2009, 23:40

We'll get to work on fixing it for you Matt. :roll:

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 14 Feb 2009, 01:28

What it all comes down to is that there's been too little Dexys Midnight Runners.
All you people who picking Captain beefheart, why don't you pick " Yes Yes My Dear" instead.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 14 Feb 2009, 08:14

Round 2 is now complete and, as we reach the mid-competition hiatus, the following contestants remain standing:

Griff
masked man
The Red Heifer
Coan
Bad Ambassador
Tapicoahead
Kalowski
Mike Boom
DWD
SBA
James R.
Goat Boy
Alvin Row
Heilan Coo
Billybob
Neil Jung

And to think your impeccable, beautifully compiled list of pop heaven was vanquished by one of that lot. Depressing, isn't it? Oh well, there's always next year.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 14 Feb 2009, 08:29

The RightGraduate Profile wrote: Far be it from me to suggest that griff has somehow gilded the matchings, yet a less charitable person would indeed suggest that the fix is in this time around. Pay heed of devious giraffes, my fellow BCBers, for you two could be next!

:lol:

I must say, there have been some pair-ups that had me cringing as they came out of the hat. Laughing nervously, even. That's the way of the Cup, though. Sometimes you get Mansfield Town at the first hurdle, sometimes you get Manchester United.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."