BCB CUP 2008 - THE FINAL!

Magilla
Otago Mago

Re: BCB CUP 2008 - THE FINAL!

Postby Magilla » 26 Apr 2008, 11:03

Johnny C Redway wrote:Hmm.

I have it tied at 33 - 33.

Can anyone confirm this?

PLEASE, NOBODY ELSE VOTE. THE MATCH HAS TIMED OUT.

Griff, I'll count, then PM you.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 26 Apr 2008, 11:04

I have the votes as this:

Page 1: 9 - 10
Page 2: 13 - 5
Page 3: 8 - 10
Page 4: 3 - 7
Page 5: 0 - 1

If that's right, it is 33 - 33.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 26 Apr 2008, 11:15

Magilla wrote:
Griff, I'll count, then PM you.

Cheers, Grant.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 26 Apr 2008, 11:23

Perfect result then. A draw. Well done both
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Beno

Postby Beno » 26 Apr 2008, 11:28

So it's down to a penalty shoot out. Truly anonymous additional 5s standing alone. Bad luck Griff, it looks like your work's not done yet.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 26 Apr 2008, 11:31

Beno wrote:So it's down to a penalty shoot out. Truly anonymous additional 5s standing alone. Bad luck Griff, it looks like your work's not done yet.

Or do we have extra time first?

Hmm...
Goatboy to Belle:

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Apr 2008, 11:42

I've not counted, but if it is a draw, then it's an extra five eac, is it not?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 26 Apr 2008, 11:44

Beno wrote:So it's down to a penalty shoot out. Truly anonymous additional 5s standing alone. Bad luck Griff, it looks like your work's not done yet.

Right, I've considered extending the time, counting back votes from previous ties involving the competitors, asking for an extra five and starting again in a replay but I'm aware that whatever I do, it won't please everyone.

With this in mind, I'm drawn back to the originally stated rules, in particular this:

5. In the event of a drawn tie, the two competitors will go head to head in a tie-breaker with only their next five tracks competing against each other.

In the circumstances, I feel I have to go with this. I hope everyone - competitors and other board members - understands the reasons for my decision.

I will be asking both competitors for an extra five which will go head to head against each other over 48 hours, hopefully starting on Sunday evening.

Penalty shoot-out, it is!

Griff.
Goatboy to Belle:

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 26 Apr 2008, 12:00

Johnny C Redway wrote:Penalty shoot-out, it is!

Until a few days' ago, the finalists could've simply asked this guy for their next five. But I'd be a bit hesitant now... :P
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 26 Apr 2008, 15:25

Since we obviously can't decide which is the better list, I think the match should be forfeited and last year's BCB Cup champion should retain his title for another year. That would be Griff, of course.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 26 Apr 2008, 15:36

Jeff K wrote:Since we obviously can't decide which is the better list, I think the match should be forfeited and last year's BCB Cup champion should retain his title for another year. That would be Griff, of course.

It's a very good point, Jeff. Seeing as nobody actually won, no one can be crowned the new King of BCB so the only sensible thing would be for the status quo to be maintained. Any other course of action could lead to the whole of BCB descending into lawless anarchy. For the good of the site, I am prepared to retain the mantle for another year.
Goatboy to Belle:

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 26 Apr 2008, 15:46

Johnny C Redway wrote:
Jeff K wrote:Since we obviously can't decide which is the better list, I think the match should be forfeited and last year's BCB Cup champion should retain his title for another year. That would be Griff, of course.

It's a very good point, Jeff. Seeing as nobody actually won, no one can be crowned the new King of BCB so the only sensible thing would be for the status quo to be maintained. Any other course of action could lead to the whole of BCB descending into lawless anarchy. For the good of the site, I am prepared to retain the mantle for another year.

Very big of you to agree to hold onto the title. I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't go along with that decision, especially since your list was better than the two finalists from this year.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 26 Apr 2008, 15:58

To be honest I think having a new champion every year confuses people. What they really want is strong leadership. I propose that Jeff be made champion for the next thirty years.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 26 Apr 2008, 16:05

The Modernist! wrote:To be honest I think having a new champion every year confuses people. What they really want is strong leadership. I propose that Jeff be made champion for the next thirty years.

Sounds great!

I accept the offer to be the champion for the next 30 years. After that, I am willing to put my title up for grabs.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 26 Apr 2008, 16:29

Aren't the book deals, the lecture tours, the memorial libraries and the state funerals enough for you guys? Sheeesh!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Apr 2008, 16:59

Jeff K wrote:
Johnny C Redway wrote:

Very big of you to agree to hold onto the title. I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't go along with that decision, especially since your list was better than the two finalists from this year.

I seem to recall saying, oh just about the time this whole thing got started and Griff put himself up for administrating the whole thing that "the fix" was "in".

:roll:
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Apr 2008, 17:18

I'm not sure that I agree with the comments here. Personally, I feel that the fact this match has ended in stalemate merely reflects the fact that neither list inspired the good voters of BCB to make it their champion, suggesting that they would prefer another list, perhaps one which it is generally agreed was very unfortunate to be knocked out before it could take its rightful place in the final. With this in mind I have scoured the entrants into this year's cup and found one list which fits the bill in every way:

Clarence Reid - Nobody But You Babe
The Soft Boys - Kingdom of Love
The Durutti Column - Sketch For Summer
The Triffids - Wide Open Road
Dawn Penn - Are You There
The Nazz - Open My Eyes
Young Marble Giants - Final Day
The Clean - Point That Thing Somewhere Else
Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues
The Modern Lovers - Pablo Picasso
Voices of East Harlem - New York Lightning
Roxy Music - Do the Strand
Darondo - Let My People Go
Loose Joints - Is It All Over My Face
The Modern Folk Quartet - This Could Be the Night
The Pretty Things - The Letter
Funkadelic - Hit It and Quit It
The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows
Life Without Buildings - The Leanover
Bob Relf - Blowing My Mind to Pieces
Alice Clark - You Hit Me (Right Where It Hurt Me)
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
Al Green - Here I Am (Come and Take Me)
Tricky - Aftermath
Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Cinnamon Girl
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 26 Apr 2008, 17:30

I was considering changing my vote before the deadline, but was stuck on a tube this morning coming back from my girlfriend's, and was not able to get home in time to get on-line.

I considered getting off and finding an internet cafe and signing in and altering my vote, but then I thought 'no, that's silly and sad, and as my vote has already determined one match there is no way it would happen in the final'.

Given that this has happened, I would be happy to determine the winner by putting thought into whether I should alter my vote, thus saving everyone the agony of a penalty shoot-out.
We owe so much
To the enemy
If not for them
Where would we be?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Apr 2008, 17:41

Despite Griff's assertions, I say:

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 26 Apr 2008, 19:51

I like the idea of just five more songs without tacking them on to the previous lists.