24%
They do not influence my vote
19%

Total votes: 21

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Youtube/Sendspace

Postby PENK » 14 Apr 2008, 15:15

A lot of people have taken up the idea of using youtube and sendspace to give people an opportunity to hear the more obscure songs on their lists... but are people actually taking this opportunity, and has it worked?

Two options in the poll - how often you use them, and whether they influence your vote. Obviously, the thread is here for you to explain what you do and why, too.
But please be honest.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Zeke

Re: Youtube/Sendspace

Postby Zeke » 14 Apr 2008, 17:26

I've been using the links provided or even looking up songs I don't know on youtube somewhat regularly. Particularly on lists where either I really like what I do know and am intrigued by the rest or am unfamiliar with the majority of the list. I won't necessarily listen to the whole song unless something about it grabs me fairly quickly just to keep the time it takes to make a decision down to a reasonable level. Even if I already have a song in my own itunes library I'll occasionally give it a quick listen if I can't immediately decide how to score it.

I can think of at least one instance where an otherwise undecided match was decided by finding songs on youtube.

I realize not everyone will have the time to do the same but I think it adds quite a bit to the whole thing. I haven't discovered any out and out hidden gems yet but I have run across a few things I'll probably follow up on later.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 14 Apr 2008, 19:20

I can't say I always check the links out but I often do and I've discovered some great stuff in so doing.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 14 Apr 2008, 19:39

I wish I'd done it now as well. It's probably a good idea on the whole, although I've just looked something up on youtube which frankly then put me off the list in question.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 15 Apr 2008, 01:47

I wish I had access to you tube, but out here speakers are a rarity and so is bandwidth.

Next year I will take advantage if I am at home because it sounds like a great way to find tip top stuff you haven't heard before because people really are recommending stuff they love.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 15 Apr 2008, 01:56

I almost always check out the YouTube links, because they are quick and easy.

I've downloaded from one Mp3 link too.

But I don't think they've swayed me one way or another. Yet.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 15 Apr 2008, 15:19

Myself, it's rare that I've really needed to have a look at the stuff, because in most of the ties they've featured in, I've been able to make an easy decision anyway. I have looked at a few things from lists that have intrigued me, though.

Completely irrelevant point, this, but one thing I've noticed when watching music videos on youtube is that whatever the song, the comments below always seem to consist of a fight involving someone who hates the song talking about blowjobs and mums.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.