How many songs do you know from Match 3-4?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: How many songs do you know from Match 3-4?

Postby LMG » 14 Apr 2008, 20:39

B
We owe so much
To the enemy
If not for them
Where would we be?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 15 Apr 2008, 01:03

The Modernist! wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Let's hope the winner comes from match 1 or 3, all four of the lists there are better than all four of the lists in matches 2 & 4, but that is the luck of the draw, some groups are groups of death and from others lacklustre lists come through because they are up against exercises in tedium :)

In your opinion of course. I rarely agree with your judgements on any of the lists so really what could be dull to you may be great to someone else.

I totally agree, but isn't this the time to wear your heart on your sleeve and campaign for what you love?

I though that was really the whole point, I wouldn't usually be so judgemental about people's music taste, but isn't that sort of the point in teh BCB Cup?

Or is it supposed to be some sort of back slap fest for jolly up attendees to compliment eaqch other :)
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 15 Apr 2008, 01:05

The Modernist! wrote:
Copehead wrote:8 in total from both lists, the last 20 years don't seem to have existed for these two. Is Pretty Persuasion the most recent song on either list? If so that makes it 24 years since either of these people heard a decent track.

you should be sure of what you're saying before making such definitive statements. In fact that there's a 90's techno track on there. Not that it matters.

Which one, I am intrigued?

Not that I like much 90s techno, but if one of those two lists chose it it must at least be interesting.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Apr 2008, 01:08

Copehead wrote:
The Modernist! wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Let's hope the winner comes from match 1 or 3, all four of the lists there are better than all four of the lists in matches 2 & 4, but that is the luck of the draw, some groups are groups of death and from others lacklustre lists come through because they are up against exercises in tedium :)

In your opinion of course. I rarely agree with your judgements on any of the lists so really what could be dull to you may be great to someone else.

I totally agree, but isn't this the time to wear your heart on your sleeve and campaign for what you love?

I though that was really the whole point, I wouldn't usually be so judgemental about people's music taste, but isn't that sort of the point in teh BCB Cup?

Yeah sure. No problem with that!

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 16 Apr 2008, 02:25

Although I know a few more tracks from B than A being that I'm the compiler of said list ;)

Really, though, my tracks didn't seem like they were all that obscure. Not to me at least.

I thought all of these were pretty well known -

Panic In Detroit - David Bowie
Israelites - Desmond Dekker
Jump Into The Fire - Harry Nilsson
Maybe I'm Amazed - The Faces
Matilda Mother - Pink Floyd
Mr. Pitiful - Otis Redding
These Days - Nico
Pretty Persuasion - R.E.M.
Why - The Byrds

The Who's "Early Morning Cold Taxi" is admittedly a lesser known Who track but anyone who has the reissue of The Who Sell Out will know it.

These artists are reasonably well known "BCB" favorites -

Yellow Brick Road - Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
Modern World - The Modern Lovers
Yesterday’s Numbers - Flamin’ Groovies
The Old Man's Back Again - Scott Walker
The Helicopter Spies - Swell Maps

Anyone who knows their 90s American indie will know Guided By Voices' "Game of Pricks" and Sparklehorse's "Painbirds". And I assume anyone who's heard a decent track in the last 24 years would have managed to hear these two ;)

Neko Case's "The Needle Has Landed" is from a somewhat regularly discussed recentish release.

Fight Fire - The Golliwogs is from the Nuggets box and is, as has also been previously noted by Baron, an earlier incarnation of CCR.

The Feelies' "Everybody's Got Something To Hide (Except Me And My Monkey)" is probably the only genuine obscurity on the list what with Crazy Rhythms being out of print. I'd hoped that its being a Beatles cover would induce enough interest to download the track and give it a listen. It really is a fantastic cover and worth that little extra effort.

RcL

Postby RcL » 16 Apr 2008, 04:12

Good stuff - wasn't (as was expected) moaning about people's choices - just asking a simple question.

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 16 Apr 2008, 19:49

RcL wrote:Good stuff - wasn't (as was expected) moaning about people's choices - just asking a simple question.

No offense taken. I just took the thread as an opportunity to ramble a bit about my list.

Setting aside the notion of willful obscurity for a moment the question does have merit. Of the first 4 matches in the third round our match did have the fewest overall votes by about 4 or 5 votes. Very probably a general lack of familiarity with our choices had something to do with that.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 17 Apr 2008, 01:48

Zeke wrote:
RcL wrote:Good stuff - wasn't (as was expected) moaning about people's choices - just asking a simple question.

No offense taken. I just took the thread as an opportunity to ramble a bit about my list.

Setting aside the notion of willful obscurity for a moment the question does have merit. Of the first 4 matches in the third round our match did have the fewest overall votes by about 4 or 5 votes. Very probably a general lack of familiarity with our choices had something to do with that.

The voting seemed to tail off when this unnecessary thread appeared -it seemed to put one or two people off. All very silly as the lists were no more obscure than others being voted on or indeed RcL's own list.