BCB CUP 2008 - Round 2 Match 4 - COPEHEAD OUT

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: BCB CUP 2008 - Round 2 Match 4

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Apr 2008, 17:34

A
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

German Dave
Utter Cad

Re: BCB CUP 2008 - Round 2 Match 4

Postby German Dave » 08 Apr 2008, 18:35

38 - 21 to A

B was Copehead.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: BCB CUP 2008 - Round 2 Match 4 - COPEHEAD OUT

Postby Copehead » 09 Apr 2008, 03:49

I thought I'd try Sk8ter Boi again to see if things had improved over the 2 years since the last time I put it in teh BCB cup, but it still seems that people vote more for the name than the song a lot of the time.

If I had put in Hey Ya! like I did last year I would probably have garnered a few extra votes ( but not enough to win ) but then Andre 3000 is balck and raps a bit.

There still seems to be an immense amount of snobbery against a well turned pop hit here, unless it is 40 years old. The same farts who hate Avril Lavign would have hated the Shangri Las in the 60s, but with 40 years of hindsite they think they are cool now.

A great song is a great song and Sk8ter Boi is a great song no two ways about it, but whereas a Four Tops B side, a bit of obscure Kinksiana or a turgid Sly Stone track will get the nod on name recognition, people still often vote with their eyes not their ears. I'm as guilty as anyone I suppose.

Good luck to A, at least his/her list has a song or two recorded after 1975 ( the year the music died seemingly for many ), and the mighty Smiths.
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 09 Apr 2008, 17:54

Copehead wrote:If I had put in Hey Ya! like I did last year I would probably have garnered a few extra votes ( but not enough to win ) but then Andre 3000 is balck and raps a bit.

Yes, it had been bothering me why Outkast were better than Avril Lavigne but that's it.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 10 Apr 2008, 01:41

Copehead wrote:A great song is a great song and Sk8ter Boi is a great song no two ways about it

When You're Gone is better
king of the divan

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Apr 2008, 02:58

mentalist wrote:
Copehead wrote:A great song is a great song and Sk8ter Boi is a great song no two ways about it

Girlfriend is shouty and brilliant as well. I toyed with putting that in, but assumed that most people would at least be familiar with Sk8ter Boi.

If I'd put in "My Boyfriend's Back" by the Angels I would have got backslaps all round because that is 40 years old so it is safe for middle aged white blokes to admit liking.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Apr 2008, 03:02

Leg of lamb wrote:
Copehead wrote:If I had put in Hey Ya! like I did last year I would probably have garnered a few extra votes ( but not enough to win ) but then Andre 3000 is balck and raps a bit.

Yes, it had been bothering me why Outkast were better than Avril Lavigne but that's it.

Are they better? They are funnier, more self indulgent, crapper in a lot of songs, and better in perhaps one or two, overall I'd rather listen to Lavigne's first album that most of Outkasts output. And I quite like Outkast and own 2 of their albums.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 10 Apr 2008, 07:06

mentalist wrote:

That is a good song.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Apr 2008, 08:52

The Red Heifer wrote:
mentalist wrote:

That is a good song.

That's next year sorted

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 10 Apr 2008, 10:50

Copehead wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:

Are they better? They are funnier, more self indulgent, crapper in a lot of songs, and better in perhaps one or two, overall I'd rather listen to Lavigne's first album that most of Outkasts output. And I quite like Outkast and own 2 of their albums.

Outkast may have made a lunge for the pop markets from, maybe, Stankonia onwards (certainly Speakerboxxx/The Love Below) but before that they were really, really great straight-up hip-hop. Aquemini is one of my favourite albums of all time and not at all tainted by novelty.

And I like the pop excursions. They're a favourite group.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 11 Apr 2008, 01:22

Leg of lamb wrote:
Outkast may have made a lunge for the pop markets from, maybe, Stankonia onwards (certainly Speakerboxxx/The Love Below) but before that they were really, really great straight-up hip-hop. Aquemini is one of my favourite albums of all time and not at all tainted by novelty.

And I like the pop excursions. They're a favourite group.

I shall have to investigate there pre-Stankonia output then. Thanks for the tip