Abstain

Balboa

Abstain

Postby Balboa » 31 Mar 2008, 22:00

What's with the abstain option?

Do you mean you cannot choose?

Really?
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Davey the Fat Boy

Re: Abstain

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 31 Mar 2008, 22:05

It's a nce way of saying, "both lists suck".
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 31 Mar 2008, 22:08

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It's a nce way of saying, "both lists suck".

Oh, ok. I don't like it though.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 31 Mar 2008, 22:09

... although given that it's usually the prog fans who use it, it can be translated as "I haven't heard any of these songs and none of them seem to feature 12-minute clavichord solos, so I won't bother trying them."
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Beno

Postby Beno » 31 Mar 2008, 22:12

In many ways its the honest thing to do if you only know a couple of songs off either list. Not that I practice that, I'd have a guess even if I didn't know any songs.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 31 Mar 2008, 22:15

Why don't people just not vote? Why do they have to tell me they are abstaining?

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 31 Mar 2008, 22:16

whodathunkit wrote:Why don't people just not vote? Why do they have to tell me they are abstaining?

Exactly.

C
Robust

Postby C » 31 Mar 2008, 22:17

Balboa wrote:What's with the abstain option?

Do you mean you cannot choose?

Yes

neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 31 Mar 2008, 22:41

Balboa wrote:
whodathunkit wrote:Why don't people just not vote? Why do they have to tell me they are abstaining?

Exactly.

Well, at least it lets you know that people are taking an interest but just can't pick a list for whatever reason. I've no problem at all with "abstain." I know some people use it as a negative comment but I don't think everyone does. I've abstained a few times in the past because I either couldn't separate the lists so it would be unfair to vote either way or else I've just not known enough of either.

Funnily enough, I've not voted on every thread this year because I'm so wrapped up in posting the things and counting the votes. It's like I can't see the wood for the trees.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 31 Mar 2008, 22:55

I think it a bit pointless myself. I did make a comment earlier on a poster earlier who seems to be making a habit of abstaining. He did it again tonight when confronted with two genuinely varied and entertaining lists. He seems to be saying I only like an incredibly narrow range of music, and if it doesn't fit that then I'm not interested. In which case I'm not sure why he bothers.
There's quite a few lists I've looked upon with the incomprehension of a Japanese tourist suddenly transplanted in the middle of the Outer Hebrides, but even then there's usually something I can hook on to. But if I was genuinely apathetic then I would abstain, like not voting that can be a statement in itself..but if you're doing it all the time why bother.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 31 Mar 2008, 22:58

Then again, why not? What harm is it doing?

I'm more angry about your abject misunderstanding of the greatness of "So You Win Again." :lol:
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 31 Mar 2008, 23:47

penk! wrote:

... although given that it's usually the prog fans who use it, it can be translated as "I haven't heard any of these songs and none of them seem to feature 12-minute clavichord solos, so I won't bother trying them."

Truest comment here.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 01 Apr 2008, 03:37

Stupid Giraffe wrote:
Balboa wrote:

Exactly.

Well, at least it lets you know that people are taking an interest but just can't pick a list for whatever reason. I've no problem at all with "abstain." I know some people use it as a negative comment but I don't think everyone does. I've abstained a few times in the past because I either couldn't separate the lists so it would be unfair to vote either way or else I've just not known enough of either.

Funnily enough, I've not voted on every thread this year because I'm so wrapped up in posting the things and counting the votes. It's like I can't see the wood for the trees.

I abstained once because there was nothing between two lists I quite liked. I posted the abstention because I had already open the post before I decided I wasn't going to be able to vote so I just posted it.

My voting posts are done as I am thinking about it.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 01 Apr 2008, 05:43

Abstain! - a fantastic single by the criminally overlooked 5:30. Hmmmmmm......maybe I should include it in my list and claim all the abstention votes on a technicality...... :geek:

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 01 Apr 2008, 08:00

The Modernist! wrote:I think it a bit pointless myself. I did make a comment earlier on a poster earlier who seems to be making a habit of abstaining. He did it again tonight when confronted with two genuinely varied and entertaining lists. He seems to be saying I only like an incredibly narrow range of music, and if it doesn't fit that then I'm not interested. In which case I'm not sure why he bothers.

Because its part of his style and thats part of the joke. As long as its consistent, whats the harm?

Stop being so humourless and get with the beat daddy-o.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Apr 2008, 09:22

Corporate Whore wrote:
The Modernist! wrote:I think it a bit pointless myself. I did make a comment earlier on a poster earlier who seems to be making a habit of abstaining. He did it again tonight when confronted with two genuinely varied and entertaining lists. He seems to be saying I only like an incredibly narrow range of music, and if it doesn't fit that then I'm not interested. In which case I'm not sure why he bothers.

Because its part of his style and thats part of the joke. As long as its consistent, whats the harm?

Stop being so humourless and get with the beat daddy-o.

I'm not referring to Carlsson here and I don't think it's being done for humorous reasons either particularly. But look I don't really care much either, the only comment I made was to note that it's a bit sad that you cannot find anything of worth in a succession of really strong lists.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 01 Apr 2008, 11:07

penk! wrote:

It's probably a subconscious reaction to the old Rush lyric

"And if you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice"
Just a penitent man

brotherlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby brotherlouie » 01 Apr 2008, 18:33

For myaelf, I've abstained a couple of times. For my part, I do it if I don't know enough of the tracks to make an informed decision. It also means that I can skip through the thread, see my avatar and know I've made a decision of a sort.

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 01 Apr 2008, 18:50

There's quite a few lists I've looked upon with the incomprehension of a Japanese tourist suddenly transplanted in the middle of the Outer Hebrides, but even then there's usually something I can hook on to. But if I was genuinely apathetic then I would abstain, like not voting that can be a statement in itself..but if you're doing it all the time why bother.

Bloody hypocrite.

You have a pop at Chopping for losing interest after getting knocked out.
I've abstained a few times, would you rather I lost interest & didn't bother? Make your mind up!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Apr 2008, 18:58

prezzzzz wrote:

Bloody hypocrite.

You have a pop at Chopping for losing interest after getting knocked out.
I've abstained a few times, would you rather I lost interest & didn't bother? Make your mind up!

Oh for fucks sake! I didn't even start the thread. Look I've never said no one should ever abstain, I understand why there might sometimes be good reasons for doing so. I merely expressed my surprise at one poster continually abstaining time after time, even when the lists contained, by common consent, very good and varied music.
Why don't you follow what's actually been said before jumping in with both feet next time.