I love it

Tapiocahead

Re: I love it

Postby Tapiocahead » 26 Mar 2008, 19:20

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
GoatBoy wrote:It's fucking annoying when you see songs you might put in your next 5 in other peopls lists though. Especially when people compliment them. I Forgot To Be Your Lover by William Bell has now been scrapped from my list of potentials.

Funny - I was listening to it just around the time I made my list, but I figured half the board wouldn't know it. What a great song.

I think I chose that last year - I lost.
Fishstick selling fuck

RcL

Postby RcL » 27 Mar 2008, 02:03

As for how I choose my own song list - Masked Man has pretty much nailed it above.

Here's how I judge A vs B:

First, I look through and see if it's an obvious win. If A has only one song I know and love and B has six, then I'll call for B. But if they seem at all close, I bring a point system into play - might not be the best (none of us has time to download and evaluate all the tracks we don't know), but it works for me... :geek:

For songs I know: I give three points to one I like a lot; two points to a song I like quite a lot; one to a song I think is okay. Nothing for a song I don't like.

I don't like to give zeros to songs I don't know, so I award one or two points depending on whether I know and like the artist. If it's an artist I consistently don't like I might give 0. If I don't know the song and know little or nothing about the artist, I award a neutral 1.

Anything over 20 is a good list.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 27 Mar 2008, 02:31

I'm not judging by a point system at all. I just can't suss one out... it's too methodical for something as intangible as how much love I have for a piece of music (and doesn't even come close to quantifying why I dig it).

No. I'm going on pure, instant gut reaction. And I already disagree with one of my own decisions! :x

As for the songs I chose, I had only two rules:
1) I have to genuinely love the song
2) It has to be in my collection. I actually have a copy of all the songs I chose.

And then I compiled the wimpiest, most-watered down tracks I could find into a list that would pander to the great BCB unwashed.

Please love me. :cry:
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 27 Mar 2008, 18:50

Hey Griff, suck it up and put out the next batch of ties, man.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 27 Mar 2008, 19:17

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Hey Griff, suck it up and put out the next batch of ties, man.

Yeah! I've been waiting all day!
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 27 Mar 2008, 19:53

I've lost interest now I've been dumped out.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 27 Mar 2008, 20:08

:lol:

I knew it!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 27 Mar 2008, 20:17

Get that Plate going Griff. The best list always wins the Plate, as you well know.....

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 27 Mar 2008, 20:45

Fucking hell, It's hard enough running the Cup right now! :lol:

I must admit the Plate does hold a bit more allure now, though. I suppose the worst thing is going out in the second round of the cup.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 27 Mar 2008, 20:47

The plate was a bit of a failed experiment. You could run it after the cup has finished I guess, it might hold more interest then.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 27 Mar 2008, 20:55

The Modernist! wrote:The plate was a bit of a failed experiment. You could run it after the cup has finished I guess, it might hold more interest then.

I like the idea (and yes, I even did last year!) but agree it should wait until after the Cup.

Gradual's away right now anyway....
Goatboy to Belle:

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 27 Mar 2008, 22:11

king feeb wrote:I'm not judging by a point system at all. I just can't suss one out... it's too methodical for something as intangible as how much love I have for a piece of music (and doesn't even come close to quantifying why I dig it).

No. I'm going on pure, instant gut reaction. And I already disagree with one of my own decisions! :x

2) It has to be in my collection. I actually have a copy of all the songs I chose.

And then I compiled the wimpiest, most-watered down tracks I could find into a list that would pander to the great BCB unwashed.

Oh, we all love you Feeb.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 27 Mar 2008, 23:11

Stupid Giraffe wrote:I suppose the worst thing is going out in the second round of the cup.

:(

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 27 Mar 2008, 23:44

I must say that almost all the lists are pretty good so far. Even the ones I voted against had two or three songs that I adore. On the same token, the lists that I voted in favor of had a couple of songs that I have no use for. They're all evenly matched, not one list stands out though. Except for my own, of course.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

king feeb

Postby king feeb » 28 Mar 2008, 00:38

The fucking thing is that at least two of the songs on my list have already been used by others.

Mind-reading alien fuckers!

*puts on aluminum foil hat*

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Mar 2008, 00:44

comrade moleskin wrote:
king feeb wrote:I'm not judging by a point system at all. I just can't suss one out... it's too methodical for something as intangible as how much love I have for a piece of music (and doesn't even come close to quantifying why I dig it).

Oh, we all love you Feeb.

Speak for yourself, Moley. I hate the fucker. I only put up with him because I like Sonny so much. :lol:

His good taste in music usually redeems him, of course.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

king feeb

Postby king feeb » 28 Mar 2008, 03:45

Well, that's okay. I don't really want your "love". I want your respect. And a large sum of your money (payable in Pounds, Yen, Euros or US Dollars).

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Mar 2008, 11:57

I've tried to be kinder and more reasonable in my comments this year, but having been on the receiving end of scathing comments from jokers with no taste at all, the gloves will be off from now on!

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 29 Mar 2008, 00:36

Massive Wanker wrote:Just put on stuff you love and hope for the best. I think trying to appeal to all bases works but it's also not in the spirit of how the cup should be played.

Due to time constraints I put my list together in about 30 seconds, with no real thought at all. I think it shows, but it is an honest list of stuff I love if nothing else.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Mar 2008, 12:18

Balboa wrote:
Massive Wanker wrote:Just put on stuff you love and hope for the best. I think trying to appeal to all bases works but it's also not in the spirit of how the cup should be played.

Due to time constraints I put my list together in about 30 seconds, with no real thought at all. I think it shows, but it is an honest list of stuff I love if nothing else.

Exactly the same as me - I'd completely forgotten the deadline, and scrambled mine together (mostly using stuff I'd put on my Mix Club CD's) in no more than five minutes.

And those that are analysing - get a life.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......