I love it

The Modernist

I love it

Postby The Modernist » 26 Mar 2008, 01:12

Its great this isn't it?

The Modernist

Re: I love it

Postby The Modernist » 26 Mar 2008, 01:18

Already votes are becoming quite unpredictable, as are most of the lists. I'm not seeing the patterns of previous years..all good. I think this will be the best one yet.

:)

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 26 Mar 2008, 01:18

I wish I had entered. I would've fucking killed.
:roll:
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 26 Mar 2008, 01:25

The only think the cup's missing this year is Matty Red Sox. I guess he's still honey-mooning. He was always passionate about this sort of thing.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 26 Mar 2008, 01:34

Ive lurked for a while and really enjoyed last years so i had to give it a go. it looks as though im out at the first hurdle but it has given me a real joy to take part and ill take this energy on to the boards - as well as the residual bile ill be able to spit at those who have slighted my superior judgement :lol:
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 26 Mar 2008, 03:17

My list is shite, now I think about it. I won't say why, 'cos it might give it away a little bit.

But you're right - this is excellent fun.

Why, tho'? It's not like we're listening to these songs, is it? is it the chance to throw out firm opinions casually? people like to opine, to judge, don't they? is that what it is?

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 26 Mar 2008, 03:18

My list is shite as well and i'm already stealing myself for abuse from the various wits
king of the divan

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 26 Mar 2008, 05:28

Likewise, looking at whats come out, I think my list will go down like my ex in front of the Irish pub.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Mar 2008, 11:36

Yeah, I was really confident about my list when I submitted it but waiting for it to appear has made me really nervous and I've started spotting all the little flaws in it.

Then again 90% of the lists so far have been utter toss so I should be a bit more confident, really.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Mar 2008, 11:49

Sir John Coan wrote:My list is shite, now I think about it. I won't say why, 'cos it might give it away a little bit.

But you're right - this is excellent fun.

Why, tho'? It's not like we're listening to these songs, is it? is it the chance to throw out firm opinions casually? people like to opine, to judge, don't they? is that what it is?

It's all game theory John. The cup is about avoiding hidden land mines and finding secret weapons. Building the perfect list is tough business. You can't just put things you love on as some things would be suicide. Then again, you can't be cynical enough to put on a bunch of crowd-pleasing shit that you hate, otherwise you look like an idiot. For me the challenge is figuring out where my taste intersects with the largest number of people on the board - and avoiding being completely obvious in the process. It's a nice feeling when someone says, "inspired choice", and it is agonizing when you realize you've included something that you shouldn't have.

Getting beyond building our own lists - It's fun to see what others come up with and try and guess who is responsible. When they pick a secret favorite of yours, that's a nice feeling. Lastly, it is something that almost the entire board participates in. Nice to have an "event" to break up the monotony.

Just my opinions of course. But those are some of the reasons I enjoy the cup.
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 26 Mar 2008, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

brotherlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby brotherlouie » 26 Mar 2008, 12:08

My first time, and I never bothered looking in before. Too busy and knew I was get distracted and spend even more time here. This year I decided sod it. Consequently I don't really know what works. I'm guessing that the following model has worked in the past:

Beatles LP track
Something off Nuggets
A Velvets track
"Heroes"
A pop gem from 21st Century
A pop gem from 1960's
Some Krautrock
Something off Forever Changes
Some unlistenable shite to look cool
A grudging hip hop number

repeat

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Mar 2008, 12:19

Just put on stuff you love and hope for the best. I think trying to appeal to all bases works but it's also not in the spirit of how the cup should be played.

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 26 Mar 2008, 13:50

neverknows wrote:It all happens very quickly. I don't know about you but I usually form an opinion and "see" my vote in just one read - after that I go back to the lists trying to take my time and be more systematic (too many I don't know, too many predictible, oh-no-not-LCD-Sound-bloody-system again and all that, though I don't have an elaborate 0-10 table like Copehead has), but most of the times that first instinctive reaction will predict my vote. The cup puts me in the same frame of mind as the "Answer with a cover" thread where an image usually screams for an answer and if I try to think about something clever it doesn't work as well.

:lol: :lol: my first time too - Fred this is a perfect summary :lol: great fun.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 26 Mar 2008, 14:09

Davey the Fat Boy wrote: Lastly, it is something that almost the entire board participates in.

Er....well at least the blokes do! Actually there are one or two board members who are a bit sniffy about it which I never get. The rest of the site is packed with reasoned discussion and objective opinions. The Cup's just an over-loud pub argument about music after 4 or 5 pints. And sometimes that's just what you need.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 26 Mar 2008, 15:25

Davey the Fat Boy wrote: You can't just put things you love on as some things would be suicide.

Well that's me out in the first round again then. :cry:

Davey the Fat Boy wrote: Then again, you can't be cynical enough to put on a bunch of crowd-pleasing shit that you hate, otherwise you look like an idiot.

But I believe some people have done, and will continue to do that, and have not been pulled up for it. Personally I'd rather put 10 songs I love down (which I have) and go out in the first round with credibility in tact, than put down 10 known "crowd pleasers" that I either don't own, or haven't even heard, for the sake of trying to make progress.

Having said all that, I entered for the first time last year and when I got knocked out in the preliminary round :x , I vowed not to enter again, for the reasons outlined above. But there is something addictive about giving it a go, for somebody voting for your musical taste above somebody elses.

Still ... I can't see me getting to the second round. And I'll probably get knocked out by a list with an "ironic" Boney M track in it, or something.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Mar 2008, 15:32

It's fucking annoying when you see songs you might put in your next 5 in other peopls lists though. Especially when people compliment them. I Forgot To Be Your Lover by William Bell has now been scrapped from my list of potentials.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Mar 2008, 15:39

I nearly put on Eric B and Rakim's "Follow the Leader" again because it's a track I love, but every cunt was putting it on last year and the year before.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Mar 2008, 15:45

GoatBoy wrote:It's fucking annoying when you see songs you might put in your next 5 in other peopls lists though. Especially when people compliment them. I Forgot To Be Your Lover by William Bell has now been scrapped from my list of potentials.

Funny - I was listening to it just around the time I made my list, but I figured half the board wouldn't know it. What a great song.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Mar 2008, 16:11

GoatBoy wrote:It's fucking annoying when you see songs you might put in your next 5 in other peopls lists though. Especially when people compliment them. I Forgot To Be Your Lover by William Bell has now been scrapped from my list of potentials.

Yeah, there've been at least two songs I've had to scribble off because I've seen them elsewhere. It just looks like copying if you add it after someone else has used it to good effect.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 26 Mar 2008, 18:28

Massive Wanker wrote:I nearly put on Eric B and Rakim's "Follow the Leader" again because it's a track I love, but every cunt was putting it on last year and the year before.

Yes, I've been trying to avoid putting on tracks, like this, that I've used in previous years. As for my approach, there are things that I love which I'm not going to use (Nightwish or any other euro-metal band) as I simply won't get any votes that way. But I absolutely deny that I'm including songs I hate just to appeal 'cool'. I will vigorously defend any charge that my list is just a cynical attempt at garnering votes; every song there has inflamed my imagination.