Bitter Recriminations 2008 Deluxe Edition

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2008 Deluxe Edition

Postby Butch Manly » 02 Apr 2008, 22:56

Davey King of BCB wrote:It's a fine line between stupid and clever...

Well done for being American and knowing that.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 02 Apr 2008, 23:52

Stupid Giraffe wrote:
Davey King of BCB wrote:It's a fine line between stupid and clever...

Well done for being American and knowing that.

Hey!!!!!!

If I'd said that, everyone would be thinking 'that guy proves yet again what an arrogant, insensitive tool he is', whereas...

Oh.

Carry on.
We owe so much
To the enemy
If not for them
Where would we be?

moonie

Postby moonie » 03 Apr 2008, 00:59

Ha! Ha!

I swear I wish you folks would clean out yer ears. :lol:

The Driver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Driver » 03 Apr 2008, 12:41

* starts thinking of something witty but caustic to add to this thread.... *
He's an idiot savant. Without the savant.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Apr 2008, 17:24

TheDriver wrote:* starts thinking of something witty but caustic to add to this thread.... *

And fails, as always.........
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

&
The John Coan it's FUN to hug

Postby & » 03 Apr 2008, 19:41

Davey King of BCB wrote:
The Rokster wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote: I threw in Stoney End as a bit of a wild card after hearing it on the radio and enjoying it very much: big mistake!

If you'd have gone for Laura Nyro's version, You'd have been fine. Streisand's is actually fine, but not nearly as soulful.

I just came to say.
Nyro's singing is uplifting, a completely natural talent.
"You're a rude and ignorant individual and I hope you get no sleep tonight." - Sir John Coan

The Driver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Driver » 04 Apr 2008, 11:34

TheDriver wrote:* starts thinking of something witty but caustic to add to this thread.... *

C*nts.
He's an idiot savant. Without the savant.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 04 Apr 2008, 16:48

Looking at who's already gone out in the first round I'm wondering what shit list will take the prize.
No, really.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Apr 2008, 20:27

Walk In My Shadeaux wrote:Looking at who's already gone out in the first round I'm wondering what shit list will take the prize.

Thanks Yves

neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 09 Apr 2008, 03:53

I posted this in the tie thread but no one will read that:

I thought I'd try Sk8ter Boi again to see if things had improved over the 2 years since the last time I put it in the BCB cup, but it still seems that people vote more for the name than the song a lot of the time.

If I had put in Hey Ya! like I did last year I would probably have garnered a few extra votes ( but not enough to win ) but then Andre 3000 is balck and raps a bit.

There still seems to be an immense amount of snobbery against a well turned pop hit here, unless it is 40 years old. The same farts who hate Avril Lavign would have hated the Shangri Las in the 60s, but with 40 years of hindsite they think they are cool now.

A great song is a great song and Sk8ter Boi is a great song no two ways about it, but whereas a Four Tops B side, a bit of obscure Kinksiana or a turgid Sly Stone track will get the nod on name recognition, people still often vote with their eyes not their ears. I'm as guilty as anyone I suppose.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 09 Apr 2008, 04:39

Copehead wrote:I posted this in the tie thread but no one will read that:

I thought I'd try Sk8ter Boi again to see if things had improved over the 2 years since the last time I put it in the BCB cup, but it still seems that people vote more for the name than the song a lot of the time.

If I had put in Hey Ya! like I did last year I would probably have garnered a few extra votes ( but not enough to win ) but then Andre 3000 is balck and raps a bit.

There still seems to be an immense amount of snobbery against a well turned pop hit here, unless it is 40 years old. The same farts who hate Avril Lavign would have hated the Shangri Las in the 60s, but with 40 years of hindsite they think they are cool now.

A great song is a great song and Sk8ter Boi is a great song no two ways about it, but whereas a Four Tops B side, a bit of obscure Kinksiana or a turgid Sly Stone track will get the nod on name recognition, people still often vote with their eyes not their ears. I'm as guilty as anyone I suppose.

I can only speak for myself here, but knowing that Avril Lavinge song- indeed, it was practically unavoidable for a while- I was perfectly able to form an opinion on it. Which is that I found it a narcisstic, caterwauling, grating and downright irritating track. I can understand why some might enjoy its energy or gall, but it's the sort of rushy, eager to please and absolutely hectoring thing that gets my back up.

Not being an old fart, but I just like those Shangri-Las tracks or probably even the Kinks or Four Tops track you mention, it's got nothing to do whether it's new, it's just that I don't like it. I guess the next question is whether I would've been critical about it were it a Girls Aloud or Rhianna track or something similar, it would've very much depended on whether I like the song in question, I don't like everything the Four Tops did, or Sly did, or even the Shangri-Las for that matter. I just happened to find the Avril song particularly annoying.

Everyone has their own tastes and peccadillos, and that's fine, it wasn't the ultimate thing that swayed me against your list, yours was fine, I just happened to like the other slightly more. It could've been worse though, if you had chosen "American Pie" then I would have REALLY laid into it! :)

Hard luck on going out though- much like mine ( ; ) ), there are worst lists that have got through.

Which reminds me....
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Apr 2008, 05:54

After perusing the lists so far I now wish I'd had the time to cobble together my own list as this competition is clearly there for the taking :lol:

There's seems very little to my taste in round 2 and I'm finding it hard to vote in many. Obviously all the good ones were knocked out in round 1!

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 09 Apr 2008, 07:02

Lord Belborough wrote:After perusing the lists so far I now wish I'd had the time to cobble together my own list as this competition is clearly there for the taking :lol:

There's seems very little to my taste in round 2 and I'm finding it hard to vote in many. Obviously all the good ones were knocked out in round 1!

Time to bow to the altar of good taste, progheads!

In my personal opinion, that Avril song is just one I don't like. I like plenty of her songs just fine, that isn't one of them. Probably due to the lyrics mainly, the song chugs along well enough.

But again, you make a good point, people are (not mentioning any names, just initials (G!)) seeming to champion the obscure over the well known. Is it to make themselves look more with it and cool? Who the fuck knows. I don't buy into this "safe, predictable, canon" shit. You can have 10 of the most popular songs in the world in your list, I'd vote for them of they were better than the other list.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 09 Apr 2008, 08:18

You have a point Heif but for me, if a list is just ten solid canon songs, I'll usually vote against it, because I would not find that particularly interesting to listen to. Yes, I might like all the songs there but I want something a bit more interesting or unusual to provide some spark and personality.
I'm not too bothered about stuff being obscure (hell, a lot of people seem to have voted against my own list solely because they don't know the songs [after all, if they did know the songs, there is no possible way they could vote against them]) but I prefer it to show a bit of imagination. I want it to look like a good mixtape, or to make me want to investigate the songs I don't know.
I don't just want a list that goes Kinks-Joy Division-Public Enemy-token Nuggets selection, because much as I may like the stuff, it is just a bit stodgy if you put it all together like that.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 09 Apr 2008, 08:19

The RightGraduate Profile wrote:

I can only speak for myself here, but knowing that Avril Lavinge song- indeed, it was practically unavoidable for a while- I was perfectly able to form an opinion on it. Which is that I found it a narcisstic, caterwauling, grating and downright irritating track. I can understand why some might enjoy its energy or gall, but it's the sort of rushy, eager to please and absolutely hectoring thing that gets my back up.

Not being an old fart, but I just like those Shangri-Las tracks or probably even the Kinks or Four Tops track you mention, it's got nothing to do whether it's new, it's just that I don't like it. I guess the next question is whether I would've been critical about it were it a Girls Aloud or Rhianna track or something similar, it would've very much depended on whether I like the song in question, I don't like everything the Four Tops did, or Sly did, or even the Shangri-Las for that matter. I just happened to find the Avril song particularly annoying.

Everyone has their own tastes and peccadillos, and that's fine, it wasn't the ultimate thing that swayed me against your list, yours was fine, I just happened to like the other slightly more. It could've been worse though, if you had chosen "American Pie" then I would have REALLY laid into it! :)

Hard luck on going out though- much like mine ( ; ) ), there are worst lists that have got through.

Which reminds me....

People vote for good pop songs all the time in this competition. 'Sk8er Boi' is just not a good pop song.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 09 Apr 2008, 08:24

penk! wrote:You have a point Heif but for me, if a list is just ten solid canon songs, I'll usually vote against it, because I would not find that particularly interesting to listen to. Yes, I might like all the songs there but I want something a bit more interesting or unusual to provide some spark and personality.
I'm not too bothered about stuff being obscure (hell, a lot of people seem to have voted against my own list solely because they don't know the songs [after all, if they did know the songs, there is no possible way they could vote against them]) but I prefer it to show a bit of imagination. I want it to look like a good mixtape, or to make me want to investigate the songs I don't know.
I don't just want a list that goes Kinks-Joy Division-Public Enemy-token Nuggets selection, because much as I may like the stuff, it is just a bit stodgy if you put it all together like that.

You have a point as well. I mean, if you like 2 songs equally, I suppose you'd go for the one you don't see mentioned more often, because of the excitement of seeing it mentioned. Maybe Copehead, and to a lesser extent myself are missing that aspect, maybe people are going apeshit over obscure songs because they didn't expect anyone to have them in their list, hence they are excited?

Hence why I almost invariably vote for any list with a Guided By Voices song in it. They get a bit of the over-rated rap from English ears mainly, so to see one in a list is awesome.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 09 Apr 2008, 09:09

penk! wrote:
People vote for good pop songs all the time in this competition. 'Sk8er Boi' is just not a good pop song.

Quite. Well there is that.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Apr 2008, 10:05

Oh, come on, guys- I can't suck that bad!

I got creamed in the second round. And it's not like anyone was complimentary of my opponent, who I hope to god is not one of my combatants. Lovely people, most of them, but narrow-minded. Diversity does you no good around here.

Yes, a few of you guessed my identity which (check the thread if you don't believe me) I never directly denied.

Now to answer a few silly criticisms of my list:

The Gnarls Barkley Thing - OK, if I were just sticking to tracks I love, this is one of two I wouldn't have picked. First off, the other one, the Pixies track, got me the most compliments in the first round. It's probably my least favorite on my list, but it's also my favorite Pixies song. As for "Crazy," I genuinely like it. OK, it was a token new song, and I was actually naive enough to think it was generally well-liked around these parts. And I'm not often subjected to hit radio, so it's not overplayed in my world. It's a recent pop hit that excited me. Felt like my list needed that. I won't make that mistake again. :evil:

Why David Thomas and not Pere Ubu - Pere Ubu's great, but they're canon. Thomas isn't, and it's a beautiful, beautiful song. It's as good as "Non-Alignment Pact," in its own way.

someone actually called it predictable - I tried to be diverse- I tried to serve all eras- I tried to make it primarily stuff I really, genuinely love- and if you don't love "Dominance and Submission," for example, as much as I do, you either haven't heard it or need your ears checked. I did my best- and I doubt there's a single person who doesn't like at least a track or two I chose. If that's not good enough for you, the problem's yours and not mine.

And just for the record- RcL even voted against me even though he's one of the chief defenders of new music- I'm pretty sure mine is the only list that drew from every decade of the last six.

I still can't believe Davey, Snarfy, Cosmic American Girl, Feeb, Balboa and the Fish all voted against me. You all suck. (OK, I still love you.)
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 09 Apr 2008, 11:03

toomanyhatz wrote: As for "Crazy," I genuinely like it. OK, it was a token new song, and I was actually naive enough to think it was generally well-liked around these parts. And I'm not often subjected to hit radio, so it's not overplayed in my world. It's a recent pop hit that excited me.

I feel the same way.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 09 Apr 2008, 12:04

I can't believe some of you are trying to defend some of Average Lasagne's other tracks. I do despair sometimes.... :roll: