Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 17 Jun 2007, 14:09

B easily.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 17 Jun 2007, 14:18

AB stain

Neither has any particular flow, nor reason why a particular track has been favoured over another.

Wasn't there a thread about 'why aren't you voting in the BCB Cup?'

Well, there ya go...
We owe so much
To the enemy
If not for them
Where would we be?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Jun 2007, 14:46

B
Copehead wrote:I have never seen anything that doesn't convince me that Joe Average people who vote Conservative are fundamentally too thick to understand the world

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Jun 2007, 15:36

B

For me, the segues between songs are better and the final song is impeccably placed.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Jumper k

Re: BCB CUP - THE FINAL!

Postby Jumper k » 17 Jun 2007, 19:31

So. We are left with the 2 lists.
A is 80's and 90's personified. Defiantly based on Indie with a couple of nods to the hippier end of the 60's and some token obvious hip-hop and soul. Pasty-faced dreary stuff that the sad lonely accountancy students were left to dance to on their own to at the end of the night at the Student disco on a Tuesday. Their height of sophistication is the Sade lp stuck at the back of the pile on the floor in the scummy bedsit vaingloriously waiting for the day when there might be the sniff of some action of the lusting kind. It remains mint to this day.

B tries so hard to cover all the bases that it is pitiful and ends up looking like and end of year critic list in the Daily Mail done by the Business Correspondant who once read Lester bangs beacuse they thought it was a car manual. The protagonist thinks they have the Funk but really all they have is a tank top and a pair of patent Wedges. If you look hard enough you will find the complete Elton John discography on vinyl and tape close to the Amstrad upright stereo. You can currently find this person in the local Afghan restaurant sipping Yaks milk tea and arguing Hesse with the bored owners 18 year old son. Who thinks he is a twat.

A
Because The Stranglers choice is beyond redemption of any kind. I'd rather listen to to Jefffuckingbuckley than that pile of excrement.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 17 Jun 2007, 19:49

Bravo!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Marquess

Postby The Marquess » 17 Jun 2007, 20:48

A
I HATE Waterloo Sunset

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 18 Jun 2007, 01:42

B

petulant clarksville

Postby petulant clarksville » 18 Jun 2007, 09:26

I had to duck & cover!

Yeah, it's really, hmmmm......

Hmmmmmm.

Actually I can't really justify swerving from my headlong inclination toward A.

Loads of great tracks, A. Simple as that.

B, you're going to win so, ... y'know.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 18 Jun 2007, 12:43

A for me despite my least favourite Nick Cave track.
Fishstick selling fuck

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 18 Jun 2007, 17:49

Plenty of great stuff in both lists, but B has been my favourite list for a while. Partly it's down to immediate impact - I see 'Transmission' and 'Across 110th Street' at the head and immediately know I'm likely to vote for the list. But there's plenty of treasure after that. Nothing at all wrong with A, but B just has a funkier selection.

B

Jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby Jude » 18 Jun 2007, 18:04

A
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 18 Jun 2007, 18:34

Another Girl Another Planet The Only Ones surely nobody feels the need to hear this song ever again.
Tower Of Song Leonard Cohen tower of shit.
Just Like Heaven The Cure erm, are you sure, mr creamcakes? sounds like hell to me.
Don't Forget About Me Dusty Springfield if only i could, dusty. overrated faux UK soulless soul.
25 Miles Edwin Starr still too near, though.
Last Goodbye Jeff Buckley can anyone see the irony in the title?
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out The Smiths sadly, that double-decker bus never did hit him, did it?
The Seed (2.0) The Roots the mediocrity.
Something The Beatles i mean, of all the songs he could choose from...
Try A Little Tenderness Otis Redding ok. you're a bit overrated, otis. but don't take it to heart, mate.
Dry The Rain - The Beta Band is this on that 3 EPs thing? if it is, it's really, really dull.
Red Right Hand - Nick Cave oh fuck off, you tiresome aussie goth.
Sexx Laws - Beck ooh look. two Xs! how clever. or something.never trust a scientologist.
Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) - Frank Wilson sadly, it is not reciprocated, franky boy.
I'm In Love With A German Film Star - The Passions you're a pretentiontious twat, then.
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana smells like cordite to me.
Perfect Skin - Lloyd Cole & The Commotions wordy, jangly shite from a fat golfer from derby? erm, no thanks.
You Set The Scene - Love if it's all right by whispering bob, it's not all right by me. hugely overrated hippy bollocks.
Safe From Harm - Massive Attack when it's all said and done, it's coffee table music, really, isn't it? music for people who buy three albums a year
A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys clumsy faux ska in a silly accent for 15 year olds who like to think they're into meaningful songs.
Maggot Brain - Funkadelic you said it, mate.
Hurt - Johnny Cash is this an instruction? i hope so.
Embarrassment - Madness isn't it just?
Debaser - The Pixies what exactly is a "debaser", frank? thought so. meaningless drivel.
Common People - Pulp he's living in paris now, you know. how very working class of him.
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones shameless vote grabbing. have some imagination, will you.
Eye Know - De La Soul i bought 3 feet high and rising when it came out. haven't played it in 15 years.
Float On - Modest Mouse why are you singing in that silly voice, you buffoon?
The Facts Of Life - Black Box Recorder never heard it, i'm glad to say.probably shite, though
The Man Don't Give A Fuck - Super Furry Animals what a coincidence - neither do i.
Playground Love - Air if there's one thing worse than bristol coffee table music, it's french coffee table music.
Song For The Dumped - Ben Folds in which case, i have use for this song.
A Pair Of Brown Eyes - The Pogues like she'd be interested in you, shane.
Julia - Pavlov's Dog it's prog. need i say more?
Hold On, I'm Comin' - Sam & Dave if it's all the same to you, i'll be off to the pub, dave. or is it sam?

so there you have it. this list was compiled by a thirty-something wideboy so he could listen to it in his mark II capri whilst he cruises around london-on-the-sea showing off his furry dice and his and hers sun visor. even now, like his furry dice, he probably still thinks it's classy.

B.

it was close, though.
Little Jim was no-one's fool - he owned the town's only jam butty mine.

Marquis de Scarborough
Not Nobility

Postby Marquis de Scarborough » 18 Jun 2007, 18:42

Let’s have a look a bit deeper then.

A

Another Girl Another Planet - The Only Ones
Tower Of Song - Leonard Cohen
Just Like Heaven - The Cure
Don't Forget About Me - Dusty Springfield
25 Miles - Edwin Starr
Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
The Seed (2.0) - The Roots
Something - The Beatles
Try A Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
Dry The Rain - The Beta Band
Red Right Hand - Nick Cave
Sexx Laws - Beck
Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) - Frank Wilson
I'm In Love With A German Film Star - The Passions
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Perfect Skin - Lloyd Cole & The Commotions
You Set The Scene - Love
Safe From Harm - Massive Attack
A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys
Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Embarrassment - Madness
Debaser - The Pixies
Common People - Pulp
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
Eye Know - De La Soul
Float On - Modest Mouse
The Facts Of Life - Black Box Recorder
The Man Don't Give A Fuck - Super Furry Animals
Playground Love - Air
Song For The Dumped - Ben Folds
A Pair Of Brown Eyes - The Pogues
Julia - Pavlov's Dog
Hold On, I'm Comin' - Sam & Dave

35 stone cold classics. Each one of them deserving to win this title on its own. Obvious? I have no idea what the fuck that even means. They’re great tracks, and that’s the only thing that counts. Some of the pretentious cunts on here really ought to work that out.

B

Transmission - Joy Division - Ah yes, suicide boy. Dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio? I’d rather dance on the miserable talentless cunt’s grave than listen to this dirge.
Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack – Careful you don’t get run over, actually, don’t be careful at all.
Runaround Sue - Dion and the Belmonts – No, runaway Sue, as far away from these cunts as possible.
Who Knows Where the Time Goes? - Fairport Convention - All I know is it fucking drags listening to this dreary shite.
Band of Gold - Freda Payne - Is it any surprise he fucked off? Thought not.
It was a Good Day - Ice Cube – “At least I didn’t have to use my AK!” Perhaps the Isley Borthers will use theirs for ripping Footsteps In The Dark off.
Summer Wind - Frank Sinatra – This stinks, just like the wind it reminds me of.
Beasley Street - John Cooper Clarke – Not just northern bollocks, but northern poetry bollocks.
We the People Who Are Darker than Blue - Curtis Mayfield – Oh goodie, some 3rd rate funk. Just what this list needs. Another base covered, apparently.
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Darlene Love – not a fucking chance if you keep singing love.
The Ballad of Easy Rider - The Byrds – More car crash than motorbiking freedom I reckon.
Have You Seen Her? - The Chi-Lites – Of course I shagged her this morning and she said I was miles better than you.
Apology Accepted - The Go-betweens – You should be apologising for this fucking rubbish.
Je t'aime....moi non plus - Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin – Something to appeal to our French listeners. How patronising. I’m surprised there’s no Plastic Bertrand to grab the Belgian vote.
Shoot Speed/Kill Light - Primal Scream – Shoot Gillespie/Kill this thing off. Now.
The Crown - Gary Byrd and the GB Experience – I don’t know this, but based on what’s come before it it’s definitely fucking rubbish.
Lenny Valentino - The Auteurs – Indie at it’s absolute worst. Really. A has a much better Luke Haines track, and in fact Showgirls would have been a much better pick than this cack.
Sabotage - Beastie Boys – It certainly is a Sabotage. Someone must have rigged the charts and drugged the record industry and record buying public for this comedy to have been taken seriously.
Deeper Into Movies - Yo La Tengo – Good idea guys, as a stint behind the counter at Blockbuster beckons.
Do What You Gotta Do - Nina Simone – I gotta turn this off.
No Reply - The Beatles – no redeeming features here either.
Pull Up To The Bumper - Grace Jones – Oh no, you might start singing again, I’m off.
Walk On By - The Stranglers – Unforgivable. Simply unforgivable.
I Don't Care Anymore - Doris Duke – Neither do I. Not for this old bollocks anyway.
Everyone's a VIP to Someone - The Go! Team – Almost good this one, but you still managed to pick the weakest track in their repertoire. Clueless cunt.
Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush – Faster Kate, faster. With any luck you’ll be so out of breath that you won’t manage to sing any more of this drivel.
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young and Crazy Horse – Everybody know you’re a cunt too Neil.
I Can Never Go Home Anymore - The Shangri-Las – I’m not surprised you’ve been disowned for producing this load of bollocks.
Blue Boy - Orange Juice – Blue because your career is choking? Let’s hope so.
Long Promised Road - The Beach Boys – Keep heading down it boys, eventually you’ll get lost with any luck.
The Hymn For The Cigarettes - Hefner – Not even lung cancer could make me sympathetic to this choice.
Make It Easy On Yourself - The Walker Brothers - …by turning this off and putting something a whole lot less dull on.
Seven Minutes To Midnight - Wah! Heat – Wylie. Enough said.
Young Americans - David Bowie – More insulting than LMG at 3am after a bucketful of Thunderbird. I’d rather cut my own bollocks off than be subjected to this.
Many Rivers To Cross - Jimmy Cliff – Many opportunities to drown this caterwauling cunt.

So there we have it. It’s a no-brainer really, which is why the voting so far is what it is. Given that the person behind list B is an emotional alcoholic twat I suppose it’s easy to conclude that in his chemical addled mind these songs have some value. Obviously, he’s deluded and just plain wrong.
GoatBoy wrote: Honestly, if Angelina Jolie had a Wolverhampton accent I think I’d have to restrict her to just a blow job.

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough...

Marquis de Scarborough
Not Nobility

Postby Marquis de Scarborough » 18 Jun 2007, 18:44

So it's B, obviously.

Well done Andy.
GoatBoy wrote: Honestly, if Angelina Jolie had a Wolverhampton accent I think I’d have to restrict her to just a blow job.

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough...

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 18 Jun 2007, 20:38

It's all over, another year another dragged on far too long BCB cup.

I'm afraid to say that Griff is the winner - makes me glad I didn't let him the first time round.

Thank you to everyone that took the time to submit lists and vote.
Fishstick selling fuck

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 18 Jun 2007, 23:47

Tough shit Dan, well done Griff. Thanks to Tapioca.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 18 Jun 2007, 23:55

Thanks, Tappy!

Hope to make it further than the prelims next year!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

petulant clarksville

Postby petulant clarksville » 19 Jun 2007, 10:34

Well done everyone, you've all been fabulous!

Please please please Mr Tapioca, if you're in charge next year, please don't let me enter. iT WOULD END IN TEARS!

TRY TO REMEMBER!

DON'T LET ME ENTER!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Jun 2007, 11:27

I didn't get the chance to vote in the final so it doesn't matter what I say.

Congratulations Andy and to you too Dan.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod