1st Round Match 14 - Ali

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 21 Apr 2007, 16:39

I think those are two seperate things really, I mainly investigate new to me older stuff as well. Although I do think that in itself is something people move into as they age.

I'm not sure thats what we see in the cup though, I didn't just say 60s and 70s stuff, I said 60s and 70s rock (and it's not particularly the 'new to me' stuff thats getting picked, it is the stuff everyone who likes music has known as long as they were into music) that seems to be the vote winners. It's not really a value judgement either, more just the slow acceptance that thats what this site is largely about these days

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 21 Apr 2007, 19:05

A
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 22 Apr 2007, 06:21

goldwax wrote: Remember, I love Jewel's Intuition, and theoretically still do--haven't heard it in years--but no way in hell would I put it on a list that I'm entering into a popularity contest like the BCB Cup, you know?

Funny you should mention that, I was so close to putting Jewel's "Foolish Games" on my list, because it is one of the mnost brilliant things I've ever heard. But I'd cop a pasting for putting it in, because it's not a common favourite here.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 22 Apr 2007, 12:01

If you like something you should just pick it.
But I guess it depends how serious you are about wanting to win, clearly some people have really considered the reception of their choices while others have simply picked what they liked.

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 22 Apr 2007, 12:20

It's all a bit of fun, but having your taste in Jewel poked fun at isn't I guess :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 22 Apr 2007, 12:24

The argument over what you should choose is always an interesting one. I think, talking personally, that a certain amount of subconscious selection based on what might go down well does happen.

Basically, I don't have a clearly-defined all-time top ten, but I do have hundreds of songs that I love roughly equally. It's just common sense to focus on the songs within that pool that are likely to be known to most BCBers. I could choose the b-side of an obscure post-punk single from 1980 that sold maybe a couple of thousand copies (and I'm actually thinking of a track I love that matches that description right now), but that seems self-defeating.

As it happens, I chose my list in about ten minutes, based entirely on which ten songs suited my mood, one way or another, at that particular time. I ended up with a mix of genres, and if you want to accuse me of tokenism, well, I can see how you might come to that conclusion. But each of the ten songs is something I've played a lot, and each of the choices I would defend passionately. I don't think it's obscure, but some others who don't have my background (British, 40-something) might disagree.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Apr 2007, 15:28

Corporal Moddie! wrote:If you like something you should just pick it.
But I guess it depends how serious you are about wanting to win, clearly some people have really considered the reception of their choices while others have simply picked what they liked.

Maybe because this is my first BCB cup, I don't understand the point of all of this. If it is to come up with the lists that are most unique to us, then being kicked out in the first round should be counted as a win.

But the game is set up essentially as "who can come up with the most popular list." It's a challenge to see who can push the collective buttons of this whole place. Why do we pretend that it is about "what we love"? Mind you - I do love every single track I picked...but I love an awful lot of music. Everyone here does. That's why we're here. So why not look among the things you love and search for the greatest commonality?

It would be interesting to see if we could come up with a different contest format that rewarded individuality - but this isn't it. By its design this is about our shared musical values.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 22 Apr 2007, 15:38

davey the fat boy wrote:
Corporal Moddie! wrote:If you like something you should just pick it.

Maybe because this is my first BCB cup, I don't understand the point of all of this. If it is to come up with the lists that are most unique to us, then being kicked out in the first round should be counted as a win.

Hm. There's some validity in what you say, it's quite an interesting point. Most people wouldn't like that to happen to them, tho' - they're looking for people who'll shake their hands and say 'good choices, dude!'.

Jumper k

Re: 1st Round Match 14

Postby Jumper k » 22 Apr 2007, 16:29

a...
When I Kissed the Teacher - ABBA Chrsitonacrutch! Its fucking ABBA. Can you imagine kissing one of them without eating a shed load of facial hair? Then there is Benny and Bjorn...
Run Through the Jungle - CCR Slowly, being chased by a starving Jaguar hopefully.
Babylon's Burning - The Ruts Fine
I Think It's Gonna Work Out Fine - Ike & Tina Turner Written before you got married then
I Know I'm Losing You - The Faces You've lost me already you dullards
Electric Lash - The Church More like being hit by a soggy kipper, purposeless.
Reggae Hit The Town - The Ethiopians Nice
Let the Good Times Roll - The Cars Blandness personified. I can't imagine having any good times with The Cars as a soundtrack.
Down in the Valley - Solomon Burke Dig deep Soloman, keep digging, hit the bottom yet? Yep, you have with this track
Big Boss Man -Jimmy Reed Fat wrestlers do not make good subjects for songs. Unless its by Big Daddy Kane

b...
Into Your Arms - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Come to me Nick. I'll embrace you and your miserable countenance, with a vice like grip around your throat.
Hold On, Hold On - Neko Case I'm holding. What for? Surely not this somnambulists delight?
Daylight - Aesop Rock More twilight. Grey and fading into memory. Thankfully
Meaning Of Life - Heptones Still searching for it after listening to this.There has to be more to it you know. It has to have more gravitas than this inconsequential gubbins
Terry - Twinkle I had a mate called Terry. He was a cunt. So is Twinkle
Train Under Water - Bright Eyes Words almost fail me Mr Oberst. Medieval torture was invented with the likes of you in mind, a good spell in the iron maiden should sort you out. Come to think of it a short spell in Iron Maiden would also sort you out you pussy.
Jolene - Dolly Parton This sounds so much better in a room full of pasty faced sun dodgers, surrounded by smoke and dry ice. Being sung by an unfeasibly thin druggy with a messiah complex. Not a pneumatic helium cartoon with hair Marge Simpson would be proud of.
Get Out Of My Life Woman - Lee Dorsey Hard not to like
Back To Black - Amy Winehouse Prison tattoos and Robert Smith make-up do not a career make my girl. Hopefully.
Passin' Me By - The Pharcyde Like it

Hard to differentiate bewtween the 2 lists here. It kind of boils down to The Ruts vs Lee and The Ethiopians vs Pharcyde. Kudos must go to a proper hip-hop choice but its ruined by proximity to Bright Eyes, which is hateful. Then again A has The Cars and that is the decider.

B

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 22 Apr 2007, 20:44

a - 30
b - 25

B was doomed from the start as it contains 3 songs that have featured in my previous lists.

B is Ali
Fishstick selling fuck

Ali
Wombat Hugger

Postby Ali » 22 Apr 2007, 20:57

I should have created 6 aliases to vote for me...