Why do some people not vote in this?

The Modernist

Why do some people not vote in this?

Postby The Modernist » 16 Apr 2007, 22:34

Ir's a genuine question.
Admittedly I'm a bit of a BCB cup obsessive to the point where I tend to lose interest in the rest of the board while this is on. But I'm amazed there are regular posters who just never come here, you'd think they might try it in a bored moment or just through curiousity. It's such a great format I don't know how you can't be interested in it.
I guess because I've posted this on here I won't get a reply from those that don't join in!

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 16 Apr 2007, 22:37

maybe they think it's a closed shop and shouldn't vote unless they've entered it themselves. i know i felt that way about the first one until urged to do otherwise.

or maybe they think it's all a bit pathetic. :lol:
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 16 Apr 2007, 22:38

I occasionally forget, I try and give myself a bit of time between posting the lists and then voting, so that if possible I forget whose lists they are (it does happen sometimes) and then I forget which tie I've voted in and it all gets a bit messy,
Fishstick selling fuck

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Apr 2007, 22:53

I wonder if some folks just look at some of the lists, find that at least one of them has too much that's unfamilar, then feel a bit unqualified to judge.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 16 Apr 2007, 22:57

I sometimes feel I'm too obsessive over this. I check back here several times a day, in the hope that Mr Tapioca has posted new ties - even if I know none are actually due.

But, yes, it's fascinating. Not only do you get the scary thrill of seeing how others rate your selections, you can also get to pass judgement on your fellow BCBers' tastes. That alone makes the whole thing so unmissable. I'm also surprised that more people don't seem to share this obsession, though we do have more entrants this year.

The only consolation is that the BCBers whose tastes I most admire all seem to be solid supporters of this venture. Hopefully this will help my favourite lists win ties!

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 16 Apr 2007, 22:58

davey the fat boy wrote:I wonder if some folks just look at some of the lists, find that at least one of them has too much that's unfamilar, then feel a bit unqualified to judge.

actually, it does amaze me how many songs so close to BCBers' hearts are unfamiliar to me. it's a great thing for making you go out and seek stuff, though.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 16 Apr 2007, 22:58

davey the fat boy wrote:I wonder if some folks just look at some of the lists, find that at least one of them has too much that's unfamilar, then feel a bit unqualified to judge.

I never find ignorance to be an issue. Petty and ill-informed, that's the key.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 16 Apr 2007, 23:00

Of course, it's the only way.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 16 Apr 2007, 23:03

The Mighty Giraffe! wrote:

actually, it does amaze me how many songs so close to BCBers' hearts are unfamiliar to me. it's a great thing for making you go out and seek stuff, though.

I think we should make an effort with the MP3 project of this that was suggested.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 16 Apr 2007, 23:03

I just looked on my Itunes to see if I had any Mary Jane Hooper, luckilly I did! not the one selected in the comp, but it was a fantastic track anyway. It's a really good competition for reminding you about stuff you've overlooked or just not been aware of.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 16 Apr 2007, 23:05

Very much so...my record collection is still in its embryonic stage and a lot of the lists have more unfmailiar than familiar for me. But I vote in the ones where i think i know enough of the songs.
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

dang65

Postby dang65 » 16 Apr 2007, 23:06

It's a bit of a Catch 22 for me. I've got absolutely no idea what this BCB Cup thing is, so I never bother to look at the threads. And because I never look at the threads, I've got absolutely no idea what this BCB Cup thing is. It sounds super though.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 16 Apr 2007, 23:07

i'd like to see the slider, rorschach, teabag, macandy, smamfy, piledriver et al voting but then, if they did, i reckon i'd be doomed, on balance.

if only nancy were still here. :(
Goatboy to Belle:

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 16 Apr 2007, 23:08

I don't.

The way I look at it, if it's a great song it would already be on my list. No need for me to go scout out other people's favorite songs.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 16 Apr 2007, 23:14

The Prof wrote:

I think we should make an effort with the MP3 project of this that was suggested.

indeed. everyone send your stuff to gater. i've got both last year's and this year's in a playlist already.
Goatboy to Belle:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 16 Apr 2007, 23:15

Jeff K wrote:

I don't.

The way I look at it, if it's a great song it would already be on my list. No need for me to go scout out other people's favorite songs.

that's just the sort of attitude that will get you nowhere in this competition, jeff. :roll:
Goatboy to Belle:

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 16 Apr 2007, 23:18

Jeff K wrote:

I don't.

that's just the sort of attitude that will get you nowhere in this competition, jeff. :roll:

:lol:
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 16 Apr 2007, 23:27

The Prof wrote:I think we should make an effort with the MP3 project of this that was suggested.

indeed. everyone send your stuff to gater. i've got both last year's and this year's in a playlist already.

Is this happening? I'm on for it it it is. That means I can be disparaging from a position of knowledge rather than prejudice. And also hopefully be introduced to some fabulous new music, of course...

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 16 Apr 2007, 23:30

Captain Nash wrote:And also hopefully introduce some tasteless tossers to some fabulous new music, of course...

which is the main thing.
Goatboy to Belle:

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 17 Apr 2007, 01:13

I love it.
Maybe next year I'll enter.
And wreck shop.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.