BITTER RECRIMINATIONS 2007 REMIX

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50643
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby German Dave » 07 May 2007, 10:10

yes, nash is probably the closest to my tastes on this board and yet i voted against him (in the end it boiled down to the other list having two songs which went beyond being great and were actually part of the soundtrack to my life). i think he was very unfortunate to come up against a good list compiled by a like-minded soul. i'll be interested to find out who his opponent was.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
Carlsson
Robust
Posts: 49068
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Postby Carlsson » 08 May 2007, 21:37

Giraffe wrote:yes, nash is probably the closest to my tastes on this board.


I thought that accolade went to me Andy?

:cry:


.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short
Posts: 20683
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:59
Location: Marineville

Postby Nikki Gradual » 09 May 2007, 09:36

No one told me you have to waste at least two of your selections on shite, kitsch - dare I say gay? - ephermeral pop rubbish just to prove you're not a music snob (if not what the fuck are you doing on BCB?) and so everyone can vote for it just to prove that their not music snobs either.

Bah humbug.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 26729
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Postby the masked man » 09 May 2007, 11:00

Giraffe wrote:yes, nash is probably the closest to my tastes on this board and yet i voted against him (in the end it boiled down to the other list having two songs which went beyond being great and were actually part of the soundtrack to my life). i think he was very unfortunate to come up against a good list compiled by a like-minded soul. i'll be interested to find out who his opponent was.


I'm always looking for a list I can latch onto and support once I get knocked out, and again Nash's list seemed to fulfill that role. Unfortunately, it got removed before I did, so that idea got scuppered. I always enjoy his selections, and would have liked to see what his next five choices were.

Having said that, you right that it is a very good list that defeated him - not even the good Captain himself could bring himself to hate it! Maybe I'll latch onto that list instead.

User avatar
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short
Posts: 20683
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:59
Location: Marineville

Postby Nikki Gradual » 09 May 2007, 11:26

Oops
Last edited by Nikki Gradual on 09 May 2007, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

User avatar
whodathunkit
Posts: 12173
Joined: 20 Aug 2004, 23:45
Location: Down in the boondocks

Postby whodathunkit » 09 May 2007, 13:03

Eric Soundtracks wrote:No one told me you have to waste at least two of your selections on shite, kitsch - dare I say gay? - ephermeral pop rubbish just to prove you're not a music snob (if not what the fuck are you doing on BCB?) and so everyone can vote for it just to prove that their not music snobs either.

Bah humbug.


Double humbug. Apparently it shows balls. And even bigger balls if you vote for it. Very post-modern.
Image

User avatar
Ali
Wombat Hugger
Posts: 2475
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 21:48

Postby Ali » 09 May 2007, 14:12

whodathunkit wrote:
Eric Soundtracks wrote:No one told me you have to waste at least two of your selections on shite, kitsch - dare I say gay? - ephermeral pop rubbish just to prove you're not a music snob (if not what the fuck are you doing on BCB?) and so everyone can vote for it just to prove that their not music snobs either.

Bah humbug.


Double humbug. Apparently it shows balls. And even bigger balls if you vote for it. Very post-modern.


Maybe some people just happen to like some songs that you don't.

User avatar
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short
Posts: 20683
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:59
Location: Marineville

Postby Nikki Gradual » 09 May 2007, 14:23

Ali wrote:
whodathunkit wrote:
Eric Soundtracks wrote:No one told me you have to waste at least two of your selections on shite, kitsch - dare I say gay? - ephermeral pop rubbish just to prove you're not a music snob (if not what the fuck are you doing on BCB?) and so everyone can vote for it just to prove that their not music snobs either.

Bah humbug.


Double humbug. Apparently it shows balls. And even bigger balls if you vote for it. Very post-modern.


Maybe some people just happen to like some songs that you don't.


Oh come now, I really don't think that is very plausible.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

User avatar
Ali
Wombat Hugger
Posts: 2475
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 21:48

Postby Ali » 09 May 2007, 14:28

Eric Soundtracks wrote:
Ali wrote:Maybe some people just happen to like some songs that you don't.


Oh come now, I really don't think that is very plausible.


So you're going to win the cup, then?

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50643
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby German Dave » 09 May 2007, 16:53

the masked man wrote:
Having said that, you right that it is a very good list that defeated him - not even the good Captain himself could bring himself to hate it! Maybe I'll latch onto that list instead.


i was rather hoping you'd latch onto mine.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short
Posts: 20683
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:59
Location: Marineville

Postby Nikki Gradual » 09 May 2007, 17:32

Ali wrote:
Eric Soundtracks wrote:
Ali wrote:Maybe some people just happen to like some songs that you don't.


Oh come now, I really don't think that is very plausible.


So you're going to win the cup, then?


Out first round and will be out of the Plate in the first round too probably. Clearly the undeniable magnificence of my supreme good taste cannot be the cause, yet it inexplicably appears to be lost on so many people who claim to be music fans. They must therefore be lying and should be ashamed of themselves. Tut tut.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 26729
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Postby the masked man » 09 May 2007, 18:09

Giraffe wrote:
the masked man wrote:
Having said that, you right that it is a very good list that defeated him - not even the good Captain himself could bring himself to hate it! Maybe I'll latch onto that list instead.


i was rather hoping you'd latch onto mine.


Oh come on, I've got standards, you know!

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12028
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 May 2007, 22:20

the masked man wrote:I'm always looking for a list I can latch onto and support once I get knocked out, and again Nash's list seemed to fulfill that role. Unfortunately, it got removed before I did, so that idea got scuppered. I always enjoy his selections, and would have liked to see what his next five choices were.

Cheers, mate. For the record, I think I've spotted your list and I likey muchly. Probably not a guarantee of Cup Longevity, that.

I hadn't settled on a next 5 but had rejected the Native Tongues remix of Buddy by De La Soul and Sparky's Dream from my round 2 list. Other goodies like Ms Fat Booty, Treason (It's Just A Story), Primitive Painters and American Girl were also competing...

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12028
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 May 2007, 22:26

Is it just me or is the site behaving like a bee-yatch at the moment?

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50643
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby German Dave » 09 May 2007, 22:50

Captain Nash wrote:Is it just me or is the site behaving like a bee-yatch at the moment?


it's been awful for a few days, mate.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
Sambient
Posts: 16602
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:56
Location: Nerdvana

Postby Sambient » 11 May 2007, 04:06

Giraffe wrote:
Captain Nash wrote:Is it just me or is the site behaving like a bee-yatch at the moment?


it's been awful for a few days, mate.


Yeah, like, I, uh, think it might've kept, um, some votes from registering for my list. Uh-huh.

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9259
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Postby Jock » 11 May 2007, 07:35

Some folk just have no taste :lol:
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short
Posts: 20683
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:59
Location: Marineville

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 May 2007, 09:39

Notes from a BCB Cup virgin…

Well the carefully crafted lyrics of The Boys come to mind: “Oh, oh, oh, oh, it’s my first time, Oh, oh, oh, don’t hurt me.” I mean, I’ve been hit square in the knackers by a hockey ball travelling at 90mph, I’ve been caught square on the temple by a bouncer at a not dissimilar speed, I’ve been spear-tackled and dumped on the ground so hard (by a future England back row forward) that I thought I would never breathe again, yet nothing, nothing at all comes close to the brutality of the “sport” known as the BCB Cup.
This is not sending your children to war, so much as parachuting them naked and unarmed into an enemy stronghold. You expose your musical soul and the only inevitability is that it will be trampled over. There is no list that will not be dissected, belittled and scorned. Whatever you do you will fall foul of one of the two basic voting camps: the genuine old fogeys and the wannabe old fogeys with their mantra that “everything post-80 is irrelevant and kids these days, pah” or the hip young things and wannabe hep cats chanting “everything pre-1990 is fusty old shit and if you haven’t got a rap song you can’t win”. Or maybe someone will helpfully pick on one of your songs and vote against you purely because of that. Sometimes not even because they hate it, but maybe because too many other people like it as much as you and it has cropped up in too many lists.
You want to scream as your choices are loftily dismissed: “Have you even heard the fucking song, ferchrissakes? Have you even heard the artist? Or are you voting on received wisdom and board prejudice, or one song you might have heard from that artist once? At least fucking listen to them before slating them.” But then, they probably have, but that doesn’t seem relevant.
What’s worse is that the only thing that can make you feel better after a BCB Cup mauling is to browse a few more threads and write something really vicious and dismissive about some other poor sod’s choices.
And that’s why I won’t be entering again. Or rather, why I will be trying not to enter again. When it all gets started up again, I am sure that masochistic compulsion to seek approval will kick in again, shortly followed by the howls of derision and the pain.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

User avatar
Love Vigilante
Posts: 2919
Joined: 23 Sep 2003, 23:30
Location: A house out in Hackensack

Postby Love Vigilante » 11 May 2007, 10:03

I'd like to begin by paying tribute to my squad, who've been magnificent throughout this campaign. Although it wasn't as long as we'd hoped, they did secure a first ever BCB Cup tie win for the Love Vigilante camp. All fifteen did their job - each track got at least one positive comment somewhere along the way - and I'm tremendously proud of them all. They can now go home and put their feet up for the summer and enjoy a well earned rest.

I'd also like to thank those who voted for me. The good taste and open-mindedness of my supporters is to be commended. Although I was somewhat surprised even to reach double figures, I wasn't surprised by who voted for me. If you'd asked me at the start where I had a snowball's chance of getting votes I probably would have listed most of the fine individuals who backed me.

I hope in a small way I have changed the future of the BCB Cup by my success, even as limited as it was. I have proven that it is possible to win matches and put up a strong fight with TV reality talent contest winners, with Swedish goth prog metal, with '70s soft rock, and with songs about Scottish football. We don't need garage rock!

To get to the business of bitterly recriminating, though, I must condemn those who had offered their backing in the first round only to withdraw it so cruelly in the last 32. You know who you are. There were certainly whole swathes of the voting population that I knew could never accept my radical approach. Their Neanderthal attitudes were entirely predictable. But good God people, I thought you understood my revolutionary free-thinking style? How could you then turn back to supporting Wire, Dylan the Stones, all the BCB Cup staples? I don't understand you. It's akin to saying, "Oh, I do love your total football, but gosh, isn't their execution of catenaccio just fabulous?" You cloth-lugged baw heids, your treachery and conservatism has robbed the BCB Cup of its rightful winner, of the people's champion.

And I'm not alone in facing an ill-deserved early exit. Just look across the competition. Fans around the world are sobbing as we speak. It's like 1982 all over again, the teams everybody wants to see - Brazil, France, Scotland - are boarding their early flights home, while the Germans muddle their way through to contest the latter stages.

You people sicken me.
BCB UEFA Cup Fantasy Football Champion 2006/07

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37165
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 May 2007, 11:48

Jock wrote:Some folk just have no taste :lol:



True.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image