BITTER RECRIMINATIONS 2007 REMIX

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51115
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Butch Manly » 02 May 2007, 23:22

Velvis wrote:
Velvis wrote:
I noticed a lot of people saying my list was the better list, but the other one had the Triffids. I guess I should check out this Triffids, song, given that it seems this one song is what put me out. I hope it's something decent and not some "Emperor's New Clothes" effect".


Pretty "generic eighties", I thought. You can have it.


keep playing it. i think its genius is that it's catchy and simple yet epic and expansive at the same time. when i hear it i'm stranded in the searing wilderness of the australian outback - lost, alone and helpless ("yelling my insides out at the sun..."). there's a dramatic, cinematic sweep to that song that i find irresistible and completely compelling. of course, it would have taken elvis costello seventeen verses to tell the same tale only half as well.

to call it generic eighties is lazy and glib.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
Owen
definitely not Travolta
Posts: 14658
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 22:52
Contact:

Postby Owen » 02 May 2007, 23:37

Corporal Moddie! wrote:Note I said "a core" as I'm not trying to suggest that all American votes go the same way -that would be ridiculous, but there is still a tendency within a sizable minority which is enough to swing the outcome of most matches.


Back in the olden days when we were still in Al and i were saying that the people who made comments with their votes tended to go one way (for the losing side usually) but that a swathe of votes with no accompanying reasoning seemed to win out each time for the duller list.

Not sure how empirically true that is, i'm sure it was more than coloured by reading the voting on our own contests and cursing everyones lack of taste.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 02 May 2007, 23:46

Owen wrote:
Corporal Moddie! wrote:Note I said "a core" as I'm not trying to suggest that all American votes go the same way -that would be ridiculous, but there is still a tendency within a sizable minority which is enough to swing the outcome of most matches.


Back in the olden days when we were still in Al and i were saying that the people who made comments with their votes tended to go one way (for the losing side usually) but that a swathe of votes with no accompanying reasoning seemed to win out each time for the duller list.

Not sure how empirically true that is, i'm sure it was more than coloured by reading the voting on our own contests and cursing everyones lack of taste.


Yeah I've thought exactly the same thing, but as you say it's difficult to know if that perception isn't coloured by seeing the list you like lose.
But I do think there's some truth to it.

User avatar
cheifwhat
Posts: 6676
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:26
Location: WoOt!

Postby cheifwhat » 03 May 2007, 00:34

I now have limited internet access, so I won't be voting as much as I'd like for the next week or so (unless i get my shit together sooner)
Mostly dancing sir,...

User avatar
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14784
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Postby The Red Heifer » 03 May 2007, 08:32

Owen wrote:
Corporal Moddie! wrote:Note I said "a core" as I'm not trying to suggest that all American votes go the same way -that would be ridiculous, but there is still a tendency within a sizable minority which is enough to swing the outcome of most matches.


Back in the olden days when we were still in Al and i were saying that the people who made comments with their votes tended to go one way (for the losing side usually) but that a swathe of votes with no accompanying reasoning seemed to win out each time for the duller list.

Not sure how empirically true that is, i'm sure it was more than coloured by reading the voting on our own contests and cursing everyones lack of taste.


I like to make comments, but when I made a comment on Harvey K-Tel's (ultimately losing, which proves your point, I guess) list, I got called a dickhead because of my comments! Maybe I should just up the ante, Jumper K style, and just call everything shit :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38059
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Postby Count Machuki » 03 May 2007, 14:54

Corporal Moddie! wrote:
Ali wrote:I think all but about two of the lists I like are out now.


A few more than that are still left in for me, but I know what you mean.

Of course ultimately these things are done on consensus, and consensus will always favour the tried and trusted and slightly bland. That's just how these things work.
I think any winning list will have to appeal to a core of American votes which often I've noticed tend to go the same way, the British votes on the other hand tend to be a bit all over the place. That means being attractive to certain sensibilities (more inclined towards traditionalism, less inclined towards pop or dance).
Note I said "a core" as I'm not trying to suggest that all American votes go the same way -that would be ridiculous, but there is still a tendency within a sizable minority which is enough to swing the outcome of most matches.


you kind of tried to cover your ass there at the end, but, for the love of pete zepfreak, IT AIN'T ALWAYS US vs. UK!!!

british taste sucks every bit as much as american taste
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 03 May 2007, 17:49

count machuki wrote:
you kind of tried to cover your ass there at the end, but, for the love of pete zepfreak, IT AIN'T ALWAYS US vs. UK!!!

british taste sucks every bit as much as american taste


Not "covering my arse" at all CG, merely trying to clarify a point to preempt this kind of response.
Anyway whadda I know, my taste is so bad I voted for your list! :)

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38059
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Postby Count Machuki » 03 May 2007, 18:32

Corporal Moddie! wrote:
count machuki wrote:
you kind of tried to cover your ass there at the end, but, for the love of pete zepfreak, IT AIN'T ALWAYS US vs. UK!!!

british taste sucks every bit as much as american taste


Not "covering my arse" at all CG, merely trying to clarify a point to preempt this kind of response.
Anyway whadda I know, my taste is so bad I voted for your list! :)


ah, fair enough...i ain't tring to rock the boat
.
.
.
and it's 'ass' not 'arse'
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 03 May 2007, 18:49

goldwax wrote:
count machuki wrote:and it's 'ass' not 'arse'


I didn't think your list was that bad, Count.

He lost to me, draw your own conclusions.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38059
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Postby Count Machuki » 03 May 2007, 21:10

Jumper k wrote:
goldwax wrote:
count machuki wrote:and it's 'ass' not 'arse'


I didn't think your list was that bad, Count.

He lost to me, draw your own conclusions.


OH! :shock:

that bloody explains a lot. do a real commentary on my list, man...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38059
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Postby Count Machuki » 03 May 2007, 21:12

this cup is a farce.

jumper k is the clear victor here. he garnered 29 votes against my 27, and here you baftards give him a mere 17?

cloth ears, i tell you...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38059
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Postby Count Machuki » 03 May 2007, 21:32

Corporal Moddie! wrote:
k.a.l.o.w.s.k.i. wrote:
C: My list was better than the other list, but you cats is too white bread.



Probably


probably?
:wink:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce
Posts: 8077
Joined: 21 Apr 2004, 13:39
Location: 51.816831° N -0.812436° E
Contact:

Postby Prez! » 04 May 2007, 20:02

count machuki wrote:and it's 'ass' not 'arse'


No, it's Arse, an Ass is a four legged animal related to the Donkey family.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12233
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Postby Ranking Ted » 04 May 2007, 20:31

Is it time to start fulminating and bitter recriminating for me yet? No, not really, but I'm taking a drubbing and I'm half-jaked, so its on.

What is it with you people? Cloth eared conservative mutherfuckers. Where? EVERYWHERE! 3 fucking years. 3 fucking second round ejections. I will count the ways later but, really, its a disgrace.

I'm getting steamed up now. Possibly a small chablis and a listen to non-Cup music may help. At least I'm in good company in loser's row...

User avatar
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14784
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Postby The Red Heifer » 04 May 2007, 23:00

Which one is yours?
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12233
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Postby Ranking Ted » 05 May 2007, 09:13

:oops: My previous post is an object lesson in not drinking and posting. I'd only had five pints of this as well.

Image

Must be the aging process. Anyway, I will complete the rant later (in a more considered stylee...) :D

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12233
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Postby Ranking Ted » 06 May 2007, 20:29

This lot beat my sterling selection. Its only fair to disect, Jumper-style.

Lazarus - Boo Radleys
Very good woozy dub-indie but possibly an overplayed card this year.
Ball of Confusion – The Temptations
Pretty undeniable, really.
Pink Frost - The Chills
I really like this one, romping 80s indie alienation. No complaints.
Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag - Pigbag
Another goodie, the jazz wigouts used to fry my mind as a 12 year old.
Sex Beat - The Gun Club
Rockabilly goth. I guess its ok but not really my thing.
Fast Cars - Buzzcocks
Never heard it.
Itchycoo Park – Small Faces
I can't deny it but gotta admit, its long since lost its flavour for me. I remember playing it incessantly around 89/90.
Queen Bitch - David Bowie
Again, its great and all but not one of my picks from Hunky Dory
Hardest Button to Button – White Stripes
Like it. But another indie/rock track.
God Knows It’s True – Teenage Fanclub
I was gonna pick a TFC track, this is as good as any.
One Step Forward – Max Romeo
Don't know it but like the few of his that I do have - that Out of Space sampled one is particularly cool.
Memphis Egypt – The Mekons
Never heard it.
Rings Around the World – Super Furry Animals
Love it, Beach Boys/Quo/Sci-Fi bonkersness. Probably the best selection here.
Feast On My Heart - Pylon
Never heard it.
TNT - AC/DC
It's the DC. Not liking it is unnatural and I love High Voltage.

So nothing at all wrong with it, sadly. Some over reliance on indie/rock possibly, but pretty darn good mostly. Which is upsetting, I really wanted to hate it.

My most divisive selections were Rehab by Amy Winehouse and Dead Souls by Joy Division. The former, on its own terms without the surrounding tabloid/Q mag nonsense, is as good a pop song as I've heard this last year. Storming. The latter is surely the JD song even for JD haters. Belting propulsive rock track. What's not to like?

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51115
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Butch Manly » 06 May 2007, 22:08

"rehab" is an instant classic. simple as that.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 06 May 2007, 22:59

You must be gutted to have been knocked out when you look at what's been drawn tonight.

User avatar
Beno
Posts: 6580
Joined: 04 Nov 2004, 22:05
Location: Gasoline Alley

Postby Beno » 06 May 2007, 23:08

Captain Nash wrote:This lot beat my sterling selection. Its only fair to disect, Jumper-style.

Lazarus - Boo Radleys
Very good woozy dub-indie but possibly an overplayed card this year.
Ball of Confusion – The Temptations
Pretty undeniable, really.
Pink Frost - The Chills
I really like this one, romping 80s indie alienation. No complaints.
Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag - Pigbag
Another goodie, the jazz wigouts used to fry my mind as a 12 year old.
Sex Beat - The Gun Club
Rockabilly goth. I guess its ok but not really my thing.
Fast Cars - Buzzcocks
Never heard it.
Itchycoo Park – Small Faces
I can't deny it but gotta admit, its long since lost its flavour for me. I remember playing it incessantly around 89/90.
Queen Bitch - David Bowie
Again, its great and all but not one of my picks from Hunky Dory
Hardest Button to Button – White Stripes
Like it. But another indie/rock track.
God Knows It’s True – Teenage Fanclub
I was gonna pick a TFC track, this is as good as any.
One Step Forward – Max Romeo
Don't know it but like the few of his that I do have - that Out of Space sampled one is particularly cool.
Memphis Egypt – The Mekons
Never heard it.
Rings Around the World – Super Furry Animals
Love it, Beach Boys/Quo/Sci-Fi bonkersness. Probably the best selection here.
Feast On My Heart - Pylon
Never heard it.
TNT - AC/DC
It's the DC. Not liking it is unnatural and I love High Voltage.

So nothing at all wrong with it, sadly. Some over reliance on indie/rock possibly, but pretty darn good mostly. Which is upsetting, I really wanted to hate it.

My most divisive selections were Rehab by Amy Winehouse and Dead Souls by Joy Division. The former, on its own terms without the surrounding tabloid/Q mag nonsense, is as good a pop song as I've heard this last year. Storming. The latter is surely the JD song even for JD haters. Belting propulsive rock track. What's not to like?

When I saw who was out I looked at the lists and without checking I'd assume the list above was yours. It's more what I'd associate with you than your own list.