BITTER RECRIMINATIONS 2007 REMIX

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 11 May 2007, 14:40

Eric Soundtracks wrote:Notes from a BCB Cup virgin…

Well the carefully crafted lyrics of The Boys come to mind: “Oh, oh, oh, oh, it’s my first time, Oh, oh, oh, don’t hurt me.” I mean, I’ve been hit square in the knackers by a hockey ball travelling at 90mph, I’ve been caught square on the temple by a bouncer at a not dissimilar speed, I’ve been spear-tackled and dumped on the ground so hard (by a future England back row forward) that I thought I would never breathe again, yet nothing, nothing at all comes close to the brutality of the “sport” known as the BCB Cup.
This is not sending your children to war, so much as parachuting them naked and unarmed into an enemy stronghold. You expose your musical soul and the only inevitability is that it will be trampled over. There is no list that will not be dissected, belittled and scorned. Whatever you do you will fall foul of one of the two basic voting camps: the genuine old fogeys and the wannabe old fogeys with their mantra that “everything post-80 is irrelevant and kids these days, pah” or the hip young things and wannabe hep cats chanting “everything pre-1990 is fusty old shit and if you haven’t got a rap song you can’t win”. Or maybe someone will helpfully pick on one of your songs and vote against you purely because of that. Sometimes not even because they hate it, but maybe because too many other people like it as much as you and it has cropped up in too many lists.
You want to scream as your choices are loftily dismissed: “Have you even heard the fucking song, ferchrissakes? Have you even heard the artist? Or are you voting on received wisdom and board prejudice, or one song you might have heard from that artist once? At least fucking listen to them before slating them.” But then, they probably have, but that doesn’t seem relevant.
What’s worse is that the only thing that can make you feel better after a BCB Cup mauling is to browse a few more threads and write something really vicious and dismissive about some other poor sod’s choices.
And that’s why I won’t be entering again. Or rather, why I will be trying not to enter again. When it all gets started up again, I am sure that masochistic compulsion to seek approval will kick in again, shortly followed by the howls of derision and the pain.

This is my third time in, the first 2 times i was bundled out in the 3rd game of the first round, so I probably averaged out as the person who's lasted the least in BCB Cup history before this year. This year, people seem to like my taste for whatever reason (ears made of cloth is my guess) and I'm in the round of 16. You will get accepted, sir.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 11 May 2007, 15:05

Giraffe wrote:
Corporal Ringo! wrote:
Giraffe wrote:a fucking travesty, this result.

i despair.

It's not so much that he lost but that he lost by so much.
This was a list good enough to win the competition and it was amazing that people couldn't see it.
It's become obvious to me me that many people on this board are as clueless and stuck in the mud in their music tastes as those on the Hoffman boards. As Owen might say "they just don't get it".

owen described it as "a list to fall in love with" in a PM to me earlier. he wasn't wrong.

Owen wrote:Just playing the Skeeter davis track now, there were so many other touchstones of my musical world on the list i didn't mention that one when i voted. Time was when this place was about throwing Hefner, the roots and Skeeter Davis together but it's been a while now.

It's one of those lists that makes you think 'i haven't played that for ages' and then when you do you remember what makes music great.

Says it all really.

The list that beat me was a decent one, but was there really anything particularly interesting about it? It was all so goddamned tasteful (except maybe the Wildhearts, but they're just plain boring). Even with the potentially divisive Nick Cave, it goes for a mature, poppy Cave song. A Cave song which gets used on BBC trailers, for fuck's sake. Plenty of nice songs, but sorely lacking in excitement or imagination. It's a list compiled very carefully and safely. It's very BCB.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 May 2007, 17:36

Love Vigilante wrote: You cloth-lugged baw heids, your treachery and conservatism has robbed the BCB Cup of its rightful winner, of the people's champion.
You people sicken me.

Excellent stuff!

round of applause

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 12 May 2007, 00:24

Love Vigilante wrote: It's like 1982 all over again, the teams everybody wants to see.....Scotland....are boarding their early flights home

i'm sorry, you lost me there. :?
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 23 May 2007, 23:18

This is my first appearance on the RECRIMINATIONS thread and I don't really know what to say. I'm not used to associating with losers.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 24 May 2007, 03:58

Thanks Carlsson. :evil: You called my list a vote grabber. You don't have a clue about that. :roll:
the Eagles suck.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 24 May 2007, 04:00

Captain Nash wrote:This lot beat my sterling selection. Its only fair to disect, Jumper-style.

Lazarus - Boo Radleys
Very good woozy dub-indie but possibly an overplayed card this year.
Ball of Confusion – The Temptations
Pretty undeniable, really.
Pink Frost - The Chills
I really like this one, romping 80s indie alienation. No complaints.
Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag - Pigbag
Another goodie, the jazz wigouts used to fry my mind as a 12 year old.
Sex Beat - The Gun Club
Rockabilly goth. I guess its ok but not really my thing.
Fast Cars - Buzzcocks
Never heard it.
Itchycoo Park – Small Faces
I can't deny it but gotta admit, its long since lost its flavour for me. I remember playing it incessantly around 89/90.
Queen Bitch - David Bowie
Again, its great and all but not one of my picks from Hunky Dory
Hardest Button to Button – White Stripes
Like it. But another indie/rock track.
God Knows It’s True – Teenage Fanclub
I was gonna pick a TFC track, this is as good as any.
One Step Forward – Max Romeo
Don't know it but like the few of his that I do have - that Out of Space sampled one is particularly cool.
Memphis Egypt – The Mekons
Never heard it.
Rings Around the World – Super Furry Animals
Love it, Beach Boys/Quo/Sci-Fi bonkersness. Probably the best selection here.
Feast On My Heart - Pylon
Never heard it.
TNT - AC/DC
It's the DC. Not liking it is unnatural and I love High Voltage.

So nothing at all wrong with it, sadly. Some over reliance on indie/rock possibly, but pretty darn good mostly. Which is upsetting, I really wanted to hate it.

My most divisive selections were Rehab by Amy Winehouse and Dead Souls by Joy Division. The former, on its own terms without the surrounding tabloid/Q mag nonsense, is as good a pop song as I've heard this last year. Storming. The latter is surely the JD song even for JD haters. Belting propulsive rock track. What's not to like?

Nash, thanks for a really gracious and cool summary of my list. Cheers - I owe you a beer in NYC someday. BTW - get your hands on the Pylon track, it's the Gang of 4 meet the B-52's, meet REM and then some.
the Eagles suck.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 24 May 2007, 13:47

I like some stuff that you lot don't.

In fact I seem to like lots of stuff that you lot don't.

Pffftt!

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 24 May 2007, 14:02

whodathunkit wrote:I like some stuff that you lot don't.

In fact I seem to like lots of stuff that you lot don't.

Pffftt!

And yet all the stuff that you like that no one else does is completely different to all the stuff that I like that no one else does. Weird.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 24 May 2007, 14:04

I just noted something, the most mean comments come from the people that already have the arse :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 May 2007, 21:48

Matty Red Sox wrote: You don't have a clue about that. :roll:

Indeed my friend. Indeed

neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 27 May 2007, 18:07

Matty Red Sox wrote:Nash, thanks for a really gracious and cool summary of my list. Cheers - I owe you a beer in NYC someday. BTW - get your hands on the Pylon track, it's the Gang of 4 meet the B-52's, meet REM and then some.

No problem chief. Really liked your next 5 as well - the Buffalo Springfield/LL Cool J blend was always going to be a winner for me. Will look out for the Pylon - and forward to the pint!

moonie

Postby moonie » 28 May 2007, 15:10

Jeff K wrote:This is my first appearance on the RECRIMINATIONS thread and I don't really know what to say. I'm not used to associating with losers.

Fuck off.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 29 May 2007, 23:44

moonie wrote:
Jeff K wrote:This is my first appearance on the RECRIMINATIONS thread and I don't really know what to say. I'm not used to associating with losers.

Fuck off.

Hey! I voted for you. In fact, I think I was the only other person who voted for your list besides yourself.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

moonie

Postby moonie » 30 May 2007, 00:50

Jeff K wrote:
moonie wrote:

Fuck off.

Hey! I voted for you. In fact, I think I was the only other person who voted for your list besides yourself.

We went down flaming, didn't we??

What's worse is we're out and Griff is still in. :cry:

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 30 May 2007, 00:54

moonie wrote:
Jeff K wrote:
moonie wrote:

Fuck off.

We went down flaming, didn't we??

What's worse is we're out and Griff is still in. :cry:

He's had a lot of luck with his opponents so far though :wink:

petulant clarksville

Postby petulant clarksville » 06 Jun 2007, 21:12

I said it there, and now i'll say it here too.....
petulant clarksville wrote:HOORAY! i WIN!!! ETC.

count machuki wrote: it seems as if 'a' might be confused about what truly bad music is.

Confused ? You're right, I'm completely confused about almost everything. Or am I? :? No, I'm not! I'm not the least bit confused about what songs I hate! The fact that I voted against myself and then PMed Bizarro to ask him to ignore it and then PMed him again to ask him to disqualify me (or not) is quite beside the point. Probably. And probably not.

I'm probably just too lazy and self-obsessed to really spend much time wondering what songs other people are likely to hate. Obviously loads of other people must like these songs a lot or the songs wouldn't have spent so much of their time IN MY FACE.

WATCH OUT NOW, I'M GOING TO VENT MY SPLEEN......

John Lennon - Woman Well, Yoko may have been too polite to ask for the sick bowl, but I'm not.
Chris de Burgh - Lady in Red A very romantic nightmare of toe-curling awfulness.
Bob Dylan - Lay Lady Lay Bob, I wouldn't normally turn down a top-notch songwriter, but lay across my big brass bed? Really you're just asking for a knee in the balls with this. Stick with the ravens!
Roy Orbison - Crying Roy, I have a lot of respect for you but this is appalling whiney nonsense.
Tim Buckley - Dolphins Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for putting you in here with this lot, Tim. But I just don't care for it. At all. Sorry.
Whitney Houston - I will Always Love You Nothing at all wrong with this except for the sound of it. And the multi-headed monsters it seems to have spawned.
Nena - 99 Red Balloons Oh, this was just a filler. I should have put Scott Walker here. (Psoriatic, probably. Because if you had that disease, the song would really make you feel better, wouldn't it?)
Joe Dolce - Shuddup Your Face Again, I'm not the least bit pleased with this selection, it was lazy. Any fool could hate this, there's no skill in it whatsoever. Ashamed of that. I should have chosen Fight, by the Rolling Stones. That's a miserable little song lurking in a forgotten corner that should be dragged out into the open and given a good thrashing.
Van Halen - Jump! Off a cliff!
Jeff Beck - Hi Ho Silver Lining Yes. Are you drunk, at the end of a party? Do you need an excuse to put your arms around your best mate and stagger around the room in an ever lengthening chorus line of stupidity, trampling on wallflowers who have been waiting all night to be asked to dance, and will you then get into a fight on the way home and round off the evening by vomiting all over your mother's hall carpet? If so, this one's for you! Enjoy!
Er... IMO*

*Which, of course, stands for It's Mightily Obvious.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Jun 2007, 21:18

Did you folks see that piece of shit list that knocked me out?

I pretended to be all classy about it - but jeez...what a shit sandwich.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 13 Jun 2007, 00:00

Davey the fat bo. Y wrote:Did you folks see that piece of shit list that knocked me out?

Wow I was thinking the same thing about the list that beat mine....and it was YOURS!!

Mind you I did vote for it this past round.
the Eagles suck.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 13 Jun 2007, 00:52

Davey the fat bo. Y wrote:Did you folks see that piece of shit list that knocked me out?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pah, you should've seen the list that beat me!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Still, I bet Jeff K and that's all that matters.

Oh, I see another Matt's bet me to it.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.