GROUP C - MATCH 2

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 23 Mar 2006, 16:59

Up against a stiff 31 from A, here's my scoring for B ...

B...

The Beatles - Long, Long, Long (+1 - nice confident choice of a Beatles track. It's got a lot of charm but White Album fragments aren't really gonna sweep the boards in this competition, for me)
Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind (+3 - big fat salt tears made song. Unbelievable delivery)
Wreckless Eric - Whole Wide World (+2 - reminds me of a mate)
Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone (+3 - what else could you give it?)
The Clash - White Man in Hammersmith Palais (+2 - it is great but I don't think it's the undeniable greatest hour they had. It's pre-eminence bemuses me a bit)
The Slickers - Johnny Too Bad (+3 - awesome, you could throw a dart at the Harder They Come tracklisting and get a solid +3)
The Four Tops - Bernadette (-1 - much better Four Tops to be had. I suppose I'm being a bit harsh but I don't want this guy running away with it)
The Beach Boys - Til I Die (+2 - a pretty astonishing composition if you ask me)
The Sweet - Ballroom Blitz (0)
Public Enemy - Fight the Power (+3 - a nail in the coffin of any opponent)
Howlin' Wolf - 300 Pounds of Joy (0)
Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse (+3 - on principle, because it's Gregory. The fact that it's his best known song is irrelevant because it's immense)
Donna Summer - Love's Unkind (+1 - don't know it, sadly. I want to reward Donna though so I'm enacting the 'Elvis wildcard'.)
Dion - I Was Born To Cry (0)
The Fall - Spoilt Victorian Child (+2 - I'm on a Fall kick at the moment and this song is hilarious)
The Miracles - Shop Around (+1 - most Smokey songs would waltz to a +3 but this is cool but a bit nasty. I want grace in my Smokey.)
The Sugarcubes - Birthday (0)
The Faces - Stay With Me (0)
The Who - The Real Me (0)
The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds (0)
The Brogues -I Ain't No Miracle Worker (0)
The Staple Singers - I'll Take You There (0)
Belly - Feed The Tree (0)
Toots and the Maytals - Take Me Home Country Roads (+1 - I do love me some Toots)
The Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden (0)

Ouch! What a worrying home strait - unfamiliarity is obviously and unfortunately the reason but it does appear to be a dip in quality from its stellar opening. As a result it stalls on 26.

Gonna have to go with A. Hell, doing it this way is FUN!
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 23 Mar 2006, 16:59

A

B chose the wrong Beatles track for a start. should have been 'Rain'

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Mar 2006, 21:09

B, you've gotta be kidding, Beast of Burden?

A
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 23 Mar 2006, 23:27

A

Gater05

Postby Gater05 » 24 Mar 2006, 02:33

-B-

Strider

Postby Strider » 24 Mar 2006, 14:12

I'll vote for A again.