ROUND 3 MATCH 5 - Django out

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12310
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Postby The Fish » 10 Mar 2006, 08:17

B
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4711
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Postby NMB » 10 Mar 2006, 08:50

B
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
funky_nomad
paranoid
Posts: 11626
Joined: 14 Aug 2003, 11:31
Location: Doomsville

Postby funky_nomad » 10 Mar 2006, 09:00

B
Just a penitent man

Jumper k

Re: ROUND 3 MATCH 5

Postby Jumper k » 10 Mar 2006, 09:20

A....

Massive Attack- Unfinished Sympathy second best thing they've done - official
Grandmaster & Melle Melle- White Lines (Don't Don't Do It) Faultless
Wilson Pickett- 6345789 (That's My Number) Great
DJ Shadow- Building Steam With A Grain of Salt Meh!
Jonathon Richman & the Modern Lovers- Roadrunner (Pts. 1 & 2) Dull, lifeless and shite
Underworld- Born Slippy See Jonathan Richman
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terril- Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing Average
The Clash- (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais OK
David Bowie- Sound & Vision C'mon Sparks are so much better
The Chills- Pink Frost good choice, like it
Jay-Z- 99 Problems Shite - you obviously don't like hip-hop
Husker Du- New Day Rising - Bob screams, better served by Ice Cold Ice
Chic- Good Times Unimpeachable
James Brown- Give it Up or Turnit Loose See Chic
The Exciters- Tell Him. Not exciting
Max Romeo- Chase the Devil Good, not great
Gregory Isaacs- Tune In ?????
Al Green- Simply Beautiful Too soppy
ODB- Got Your Money You really don't like hip-hop do you?
The Kinks- I'm Not Like Everybody Else Neither am I - shite.

B....

Over the Hill - John Martyn Dreadful
Sure Shot - Beastie Boys Average
World Turned Upside Down - Dick Gaughan Nice choice
Debaser - Pixies Obvious but I'll let you off
Concrete Schoolyard - Jurassic 5 Overplayed, overhyped overandoutRock & Roll - The Velvet Underground Surely some mistake? Rock and Roll and the VU? When did that happen?
I Want to see the Bright Lights Tonight - Richard & Linda Thompson Fuck off and see them then
Dalliance - The Wedding Present Good
Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis - Tom Waits Like it, but not much
Everything in it's Right Place - Radiohead obviously not in this list it isn't
Hideous Towns - The Sundays Hideous clowns
Protection - Massive Attack 14th best track, official
Helicopter - M Ward Meh
Murder, Tonight, in the Trailer Park - Cowboy Junkies Thats how I felt when I listened to it
Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones Faultless
Jackass - Beck As good as the programme
The Saturday Boy - Billy Bragg Today is Friday, I rest my case
Born to Lose - Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers Great
Handshake Drugs - Wilco Dreadful
Summer in the City - The Lovin' Spoonful superb

So another difficult choice, I really want to vote for A but the hip-hop choices are rank and there is a definite air of the broad spectrum cover all bases theme.
B has some good tracksbut is let down by a pervading air of stagnant mediocrity.
Its the holy triumverate of Chic, JB and Massive against their Satanic Majesties and err Massive.
A[/i]

User avatar
Spec
Posts: 10387
Joined: 20 Aug 2003, 11:58
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby Spec » 10 Mar 2006, 09:48

Over the Hill - John Martyn
Debaser - Pixies
Rock & Roll - The Velvet Underground
I Want to see the Bright Lights Tonight - Richard & Linda Thompson
Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis - Tom Waits
Everything in it's Right Place - Radiohead
Hideous Towns - The Sundays
Protection - Massive Attack
Helicopter - M Ward
Murder, Tonight, in the Trailer Park - Cowboy Junkies
The Saturday Boy - Billy Bragg
Handshake Drugs - Wilco

B by the largest distance so far

User avatar
Marquis de Scarborough
Not Nobility
Posts: 5366
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:48
Location: The Temple of The Sacred Cunt

Postby Marquis de Scarborough » 10 Mar 2006, 09:51

A despite some bizarre "hip hop" choices.
GoatBoy wrote: Honestly, if Angelina Jolie had a Wolverhampton accent I think I’d have to restrict her to just a blow job.


Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough...

User avatar
Jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Posts: 11396
Joined: 14 Nov 2003, 17:27
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)
Contact:

Postby Jude » 10 Mar 2006, 09:59

B
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

User avatar
satans favourite son
vortex surfer
Posts: 3533
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:37
Location: Exo-skeletal junction at the railroad delay
Contact:

Postby satans favourite son » 10 Mar 2006, 11:45

A
Image

Madrugada
Posts: 1767
Joined: 25 Sep 2005, 14:59
Location: Cloud-hidden, whereabouts unknown

Postby Madrugada » 10 Mar 2006, 11:48

A

I'm feeling funky.

User avatar
Mr Tapioca Head
formerly Mr Tapioca Head
Posts: 1722
Joined: 20 Sep 2004, 13:11
Location: Trying to hide

Postby Mr Tapioca Head » 10 Mar 2006, 12:52

A
What mean expendable?

User avatar
Mr Tapioca Head
formerly Mr Tapioca Head
Posts: 1722
Joined: 20 Sep 2004, 13:11
Location: Trying to hide

Postby Mr Tapioca Head » 10 Mar 2006, 12:55

A
What mean expendable?

User avatar
Django
Posts: 13369
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 14:33
Contact:

Postby Django » 10 Mar 2006, 13:00

It has to be B. Surely.

User avatar
RcL
Posts: 8942
Joined: 15 Jun 2005, 02:39

Postby RcL » 10 Mar 2006, 14:40

B
wins
it
here

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51241
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Butch Manly » 10 Mar 2006, 18:55

this tie has been incredibly difficult for me (hence the tardiness in voting) but ultimately i'm going for the one with the many little idiosyncratic choices that i really like because i did a few of them and i think that should be acknowledged at least as much as the dreaded "canon". for stuff like billy bragg, m ward, the sundays, "sure shot" and the weddos, i'm going B.

sorry, A, it really was tough.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast
Posts: 9466
Joined: 19 Oct 2003, 11:33
Location: Crying in the chapel
Contact:

Postby Leg of lamb » 10 Mar 2006, 18:58

A for the cup. The only thing that could derail this list is people getting resentful about how catholic and fun it is compared to their own.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 10 Mar 2006, 19:02

Leg of lamb wrote:A for the cup. The only thing that could derail this list is people getting resentful about how catholic and fun it is compared to their own.


That and the fact it's a little too black for some tastes..

*awaits abuse

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 10 Mar 2006, 20:00

A

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45260
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: ROUND 3 MATCH 5

Postby The Prof » 11 Mar 2006, 00:09

Jumper K wrote:A....

Massive Attack- Unfinished Sympathy second best thing they've done - official
Grandmaster & Melle Melle- White Lines (Don't Don't Do It) Faultless
Wilson Pickett- 6345789 (That's My Number) Great
DJ Shadow- Building Steam With A Grain of Salt Meh!
Jonathon Richman & the Modern Lovers- Roadrunner (Pts. 1 & 2) Dull, lifeless and shite
Underworld- Born Slippy See Jonathan Richman
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terril- Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing Average
The Clash- (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais OK
David Bowie- Sound & Vision C'mon Sparks are so much better
The Chills- Pink Frost good choice, like it
Jay-Z- 99 Problems Shite - you obviously don't like hip-hop
Husker Du- New Day Rising - Bob screams, better served by Ice Cold Ice
Chic- Good Times Unimpeachable
James Brown- Give it Up or Turnit Loose See Chic
The Exciters- Tell Him. Not exciting
Max Romeo- Chase the Devil Good, not great
Gregory Isaacs- Tune In ?????
Al Green- Simply Beautiful Too soppy
ODB- Got Your Money You really don't like hip-hop do you?
The Kinks- I'm Not Like Everybody Else Neither am I - shite.

B....

Over the Hill - John Martyn Dreadful
Sure Shot - Beastie Boys Average
World Turned Upside Down - Dick Gaughan Nice choice
Debaser - Pixies Obvious but I'll let you off
Concrete Schoolyard - Jurassic 5 Overplayed, overhyped overandoutRock & Roll - The Velvet Underground Surely some mistake? Rock and Roll and the VU? When did that happen?
I Want to see the Bright Lights Tonight - Richard & Linda Thompson Fuck off and see them then
Dalliance - The Wedding Present Good
Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis - Tom Waits Like it, but not much
Everything in it's Right Place - Radiohead obviously not in this list it isn't
Hideous Towns - The Sundays Hideous clowns
Protection - Massive Attack 14th best track, official
Helicopter - M Ward Meh
Murder, Tonight, in the Trailer Park - Cowboy Junkies Thats how I felt when I listened to it
Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones Faultless
Jackass - Beck As good as the programme
The Saturday Boy - Billy Bragg Today is Friday, I rest my case
Born to Lose - Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers Great
Handshake Drugs - Wilco Dreadful
Summer in the City - The Lovin' Spoonful superb

So another difficult choice, I really want to vote for A but the hip-hop choices are rank and there is a definite air of the broad spectrum cover all bases theme.
B has some good tracksbut is let down by a pervading air of stagnant mediocrity.
Its the holy triumverate of Chic, JB and Massive against their Satanic Majesties and err Massive.
A[/i]


Keep it up Frank - that was a good read :D

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 11 Mar 2006, 01:11

la giraffe wrote:this tie has been incredibly difficult for me (hence the tardiness in voting) but ultimately i'm going for the one with the many little idiosyncratic choices that i really like because i did a few of them and i think that should be acknowledged at least as much as the dreaded "canon". for stuff like billy bragg, m ward, the sundays, "sure shot" and the weddos, i'm going B.

sorry, A, it really was tough.


well i'm as bored with the tasteful classic version of music as you are. however if it means replacing the "canon" with The Wedding Present I'll take the "canon". At least you can listen to it.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35053
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Postby PENK » 11 Mar 2006, 05:04

El Modernista wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:A for the cup. The only thing that could derail this list is people getting resentful about how catholic and fun it is compared to their own.


That and the fact it's a little too black for some tastes..

*awaits abuse


Knob
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.