THE BITTER RECRIMINATIONS THREAD 2006

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 10 Feb 2006, 14:41

I've said this elsewhere, but all those who voted against my list clearly know nothing about music. It had Apology Accepted on it. And Roads. And Hung Up on a Dream. And Washer. And Distortions.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Snowdog
Real Doyen
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.

Postby Snowdog » 10 Feb 2006, 15:48

It's common knowledge that the best ones go out in round one.

Tactical voting by the lesser entrants to remove the competition.

Obvious.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 11 Feb 2006, 00:28

Obvious. Threatened by our superior tastes, they create a situation where the final is between shit and poo.

C
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 11 Feb 2006, 01:06

My list was a test of character. Unfortunately, the majority of you failed it.
a gibbon running freely

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Feb 2006, 01:38

Penk Ref 41°N 93°W wrote:I've said this elsewhere, but all those who voted against my list clearly know nothing about music. It had Apology Accepted on it. And Roads. And Hung Up on a Dream. And Washer. And Distortions.

I voted for your list in spite of not knowing what songs those are.

I have three Clinic albums (and I really like them), but I'll be damned if I can name a single song title among them.

Just a matter of better bands than the other list had, for me.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 11 Feb 2006, 12:12

"Elitist shit" I didn't mind but "stuffy and bookish"! Leather patches now growing on elbows of jacket. I have become the geography teacher of rock.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 11 Feb 2006, 12:35

Snowdog 2006 wrote:It's common knowledge that the best ones go out in round one.

Obvious.

I'm going to continue that voting strategy. Let's see what crap will win!

Come on, losers! Let's trash this thing!
a gibbon running freely

Dr Gillian McKeith

Postby Dr Gillian McKeith » 11 Feb 2006, 13:39

[quote="The Red Heifer"]Obvious. Threatened by our superior tastes, they create a situation where the final is between shit and poo.

either gets my vote.
I want to have a look at your Pooo

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 Feb 2006, 13:50

Velvis wrote:
Snowdog 2006 wrote:It's common knowledge that the best ones go out in round one.

Obvious.

I'm going to continue that voting strategy. Let's see what crap will win!

Come on, losers! Let's trash this thing!

Bloody hell, I could win! :D

*quickly adds Rush to second round list*

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 12 Feb 2006, 20:27

whodathunkit wrote:"Elitist shit" I didn't mind but "stuffy and bookish"! Leather patches now growing on elbows of jacket. I have become the geography teacher of rock.

whodathunkit sets the questions for the BBC Geography Cup 2006:

1. In what city is Penny Lane?
2. If you are standing in Columbus Circle in New York what is the quickest way to the Brill Building. For extra points name 5 songs written in this building.

etc etc

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2006, 15:27

the questions for the BBC Geography Cup 2006:

2. If you are standing in Columbus Circle in New York what is the quickest way to the Brill Building. For extra points name 5 songs written in this building.
3. If you're standing in front of the club where Ray Charles first played 'What'd I Say' for Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler, which way (and how far) would you walk to get to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s church?
4. Name the Boston suburb in which Aerosmith had a group house and practice space.

etc.

(start a thread, beenieman!!!)

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 13 Feb 2006, 20:57

count machuki wrote:the questions for the BBC Geography Cup 2006:

3. If you're standing in front of the club where Ray Charles first played 'What'd I Say' for Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler, which way (and how far) would you walk to get to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s church?
4. Name the Boston suburb in which Aerosmith had a group house and practice space.

etc.

(start a thread, beenieman!!!)

I had the first 2 questions nailed but I'm not so sure I'd pass now.

I think it's up to BCB's Geography teacher - whodathunkit - to flesh this out and get the G Cup up & running. Wait till the current Cup competition is over.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 13 Feb 2006, 22:26

I'm voting for the most pretentious, unlistenable lists. Because it's what most of you want. And you know what? Merry Christmas. You all deserve it.
a gibbon running freely

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 13 Feb 2006, 22:27

Velvis wrote:I'm voting for the most pretentious, unlistenable lists.

So another vote against me :(

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 13 Feb 2006, 22:42

My list got knocked out because it's so manly and you're all intimidated by it
Fishstick selling fuck

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 13 Feb 2006, 23:22

Jan Tapioca of Hesselink wrote:My list got knocked out because it's so manly and you're all intimidated by it

i have to admit, it did seem a bit thick.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

marios

Postby marios » 14 Feb 2006, 22:27

Might as well join the party.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 14 Feb 2006, 23:00

Yep. Unlike the Image, I certainly am bitter.

Actually, only slightly.

But I do want to know: are people actually selecting what they listen to or is there an attempt to kowtow to some long held "best of all time" thing. Yeah, the canon, if I can raise it again without being shouted down.

While no-one in their right mind can criticise Marvin or Bob or the Stones or the Beatles or the Pistols or Sly or the Clash...seeing them all, back to back, on so many lists is stultifying. If this is really the BCB consensus then we should shut up shop, end of debate. No one can vote against these? Well, I will, just to stop the winning list look like something Charles Shaar Murray may have came up with in 1977.

Anyway, I liked some of the comments on the thread, particularly as most of the positive ones came from people's whose judgement I value.

Rant over.

Edit: to be fair, the list that won in my round was a good one and not too obvious. This a more generalised gripe than it may appear on first reading.

Snowdog
Real Doyen
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.

Postby Snowdog » 14 Feb 2006, 23:33

Personally I find that I don't know (or recognise by their titles) the vast majority of the songs & a good percentage of the artists.

Of the songs & artists I do know I'm overcome with waves of disinterest for most.

Maybe if I were to hear the lists I'd get a completely different impression but for the most part it's "don't know, don't care" apart from a couple of tracks.

Couple that with my ten which, like everyone's selections, are an encapsulation of all that I think is great (but which sinks without trace) & you can see how far removed I am from the content of these lists.

Hardly seems fair that I should be allowed to vote at all. :(
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 14 Feb 2006, 23:40

Snowdog 2006 wrote:Personally I find that I don't know (or recognise by their titles) the vast majority of the songs & a good percentage of the artists.

Of the songs & artists I do know I'm overcome with waves of disinterest for most.

Maybe if I were to hear the lists I'd get a completely different impression but for the most part it's "don't know, don't care" apart from a couple of tracks.

Couple that with my ten which, like everyone's selections, are an encapsulation of all that I think is great (but which sinks without trace) & you can see how far removed I am from the content of these lists.

Hardly seems fair that I should be allowed to vote at all. :(

Yeah, I hear you. There's only really been a handful where I've felt totally bewildered about the songs but most have a few headscratchers nonetheless. If I've liked the other stuff, I've tended to give them the benefit of the doubt. It is difficult in some instances though to get a feel.

But, remember voting with only a flimsy grasp of the issues involved is one of our democratic rights. I certainly intend to continue to do so. :)