THE BITTER RECRIMINATIONS THREAD 2006

User avatar
RcL
Posts: 8942
Joined: 15 Jun 2005, 02:39

Postby RcL » 14 Feb 2006, 23:44

drk_smlls wrote:
Edit: to be fair, the list that won in my round was a good one and not too obvious. This a more generalised gripe than it may appear on first reading.


I've been moaning about dull canonical lists with nothing after 1980 on them, but the list which beat you seemed to override my cynicism. If that poster can play a good hand next time, my money will be on them.

Not much bitterness from me - the list which beat me was very good - in parts - and had it not been for a few seedy lads with hangovers in the office, longing for a bit of cartoon rock glamour (eg the pustulant sock-puppet squeal of Blister In the Sun), I would have sailed through. That the list included a Fall cover of a song which is poor even by the Kinks' usual knees-up-missus standards makes me hairshirt humble.

But, Round 2, Match 2 was evidently the BCB Cup punctum - that point where the silver chalice of taste was spilled and the Tommee Tippee drinking cup of lowest common denominator got shoved between the snapping lips of the infant battalion.

Marios? Masked Man? All the good guys got headed off at the gulch and gunned down in cold blood! Now we shall see the bad and the ugly holding pistols to each other's temples and saying 'Dig'! Fagin's mob will pick each other's pockets till one scuzzy, Q reading rogue claims the dirty hankie.

I hereby make myself available as coach to any seriously ambitious contestant. Form a queue.

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12116
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Postby Ranking Ted » 14 Feb 2006, 23:51

RcL wrote:But, Round 2, Match 2 was evidently the BCB Cup punctum - that point where the silver chalice of taste was spilled and the Tommee Tippee drinking cup of lowest common denominator got shoved between the snapping lips of the infant battalion.

Marios? Masked Man? All the good guys got headed off at the gulch and gunned down in cold blood! Now we shall see the bad and the ugly holding pistols to each other's temples and saying 'Dig'! Fagin's mob will pick each other's pockets till one rogue claims the dirty hankie.

I hereby make myself available as coach to any seriously ambitious contestant. Form a queue.

Magnificent, sir. I shall hereby renounce the Tommy Tippee drinking cup and call on other like minds to follow suit.

User avatar
Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad
Posts: 50921
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 14 Feb 2006, 23:51

great stuff, lads. keep it up!

it's gold dust, this is.

:D
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 26777
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Postby the masked man » 15 Feb 2006, 00:07

It's almost worth getting knocked out to earn the name-check in Rcl's post!

There's some interesting comments coming from what seems to be an emerging camp (including Rcl, Modernist, Griff, Derek Smalls plus a few others) that favours a broad-based selection and from a more rock-based camp that finds our selections a little, well dilletantish.

For me, all I can say is that I wasn't necessarily going for eclecticism (if anything, I was worried that my selections were initially coming from too narrow a timeframe) - but they do represent what to me was a coherent personal aesthetic. I just wanted a mix of what I really like. Admittedly, you may need to be me to see how it all fits together, but I'm happy this is a list that provides a good shorthand description of what I find exciting.

I have no problems with the list that beat me - not all of it was to my tastes, but I understand why people liked it. But I think the competition is getting really rivetting, and I will be watching avidly from the sidelines.

User avatar
Snowdog
Real Doyen
Posts: 14492
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 09:36
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.
Contact:

Postby Snowdog » 15 Feb 2006, 00:23

RcL wrote:
drk_smlls wrote:
Edit: to be fair, the list that won in my round was a good one


the list which beat me was very good - in parts -


The list that beat me sucked chocolate salty balls.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52737
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Feb 2006, 00:36

the masked man wrote: Admittedly, you may need to be me to see how it all fits together...


In that case I'll pass.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad
Posts: 50921
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 15 Feb 2006, 00:37

Snarfyguy wrote:
the masked man wrote: Admittedly, you may need to be me to see how it all fits together...


In that case I'll pass.


i'm free on friday.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Feb 2006, 18:29

Snowdog 2006 wrote:
RcL wrote:
drk_smlls wrote:
Edit: to be fair, the list that won in my round was a good one


the list which beat me was very good - in parts -


The list that beat me sucked chocolate salty balls.


Rubbish,it pissed on your list from Olympian heights. :)

User avatar
Dr Do-Good (is here)
Posts: 194
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:12
Location: Stuck In The Middle With You

Postby Dr Do-Good (is here) » 15 Feb 2006, 19:20

the masked man wrote:It's almost worth getting knocked out to earn the name-check in Rcl's post!

There's some interesting comments coming from what seems to be an emerging camp (including Rcl, Modernist, Griff, Derek Smalls plus a few others) that favours a broad-based selection and from a more rock-based camp that finds our selections a little, well dilletantish.

For me, all I can say is that I wasn't necessarily going for eclecticism (if anything, I was worried that my selections were initially coming from too narrow a timeframe) - but they do represent what to me was a coherent personal aesthetic. I just wanted a mix of what I really like. Admittedly, you may need to be me to see how it all fits together, but I'm happy this is a list that provides a good shorthand description of what I find exciting.

I have no problems with the list that beat me - not all of it was to my tastes, but I understand why people liked it. But I think the competition is getting really rivetting, and I will be watching avidly from the sidelines.


Excellent post.

I must say that as I continue to vote in each match I'm finding it harder and harder to comment or get excited.

I'm getting mighty cheesed seeing the same old same old being offered up for our delectation: The Beatles' Rain, something by The Clash seems to be de rigeur this year, A bit of Bob and a soupcon of the VU or JAMC, add a dash of Radiohead and a little bit o' soul.... some of these lists are like painting by numbers.

We evidently do not all subscribe to the view that you shouldn't give the people want they want; give them what's good for them. Or, at the very least, give them what you truly like.

Eclecticism does not equate to elitism; and if it does? I for one don't care.

Did someone say stultifying? Too bloody right - we're getting left a turgid selection; one in which the lowest common denominator will win out on the basis that it offends least number of voters.

Can some of the remaining players please take a few chances and put some of your own personal favourites in and hang the consequences. I promise you'll get my vote.
"Lord, You sure knowed what You was doin' when You brung me to this very cell at this very time.
A man with ten thousand dollars hid somewheres, and a widder in the makin'."

User avatar
Django
Posts: 13369
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 14:33
Contact:

Postby Django » 15 Feb 2006, 19:29

Dr Do-Good (is here) wrote:Can some of the remaining players please take a few chances and put some of your own personal favourites in and hang the consequences. I promise you'll get my vote.


As long as it's not "studenty wank", right? :lol:

Would you care to name a list that you honestly think doesn't contain somebody's favourite songs, as an example?

Personally speaking, I'm still in, and every single track on my list is one of my favourites. Quite honestly, I find the suggestion that some of them may not be, that I may be "pandering to the masses" a little insulting.
Last edited by Django on 15 Feb 2006, 21:16, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
dgs
Posts: 4766
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 23:02
Location: sconnie botland

Postby dgs » 15 Feb 2006, 19:30

Am I out yet?
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

User avatar
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ
Posts: 14680
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 10:55
Location: Today, Tomorrow, Timaru
Contact:

Postby The Write Profile » 15 Feb 2006, 21:14

Not that I'm out yet, but I think accusations of being "cynical and calculated", especially as early as first round choices, is a bit much. I think as much as we'd like to argue otherwise, on many things here there is something of a consensus, or more to the point, there are quite a few people who share similar tastes. It's no surprise that this should happen, you don't know what other people's choices will be (or you shouldn't, anyway).

We'd all like to be esoteric and eclectic to a degree, but the sad fact is that our favourites are sometimes the same as everyone else's. I've said this before and I'll say this again- every list has at least two or three songs which I really like or at least enjoy. Some have more than others, others might just, on the whole, swing towards my "approach" in music. No one list is exactly the same, and I think that's where the fun comes in- determining whether two very similar lists have something to separate them, be it in arrangement, or just, well, more things you like.



But yes, it's always nice to idiosyncratic lists which tell me something about the poster's tastes, even if it is only by accident. And it's the ones I tend to like more, in fact.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37189
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 Feb 2006, 21:24

The man from Dunedin speaks the truth.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad
Posts: 50921
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 15 Feb 2006, 21:26

mediocretes wrote: "studenty wank"


i had one of those this afternoon.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
Django
Posts: 13369
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 14:33
Contact:

Postby Django » 15 Feb 2006, 21:37

EverythingButTheGiraffe wrote:
mediocretes wrote: "studenty wank"


i had one of those this afternoon.


Wearing Doc Martens and eating chicken and mushroom pot noodle while masturbating furiously over a picture of that orange haired bird out of Lush? Ay, takes me back....

User avatar
Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad
Posts: 50921
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 15 Feb 2006, 21:40

mediocretes wrote:
EverythingButTheGiraffe wrote:
mediocretes wrote: "studenty wank"


i had one of those this afternoon.


Wearing Doc Martens and eating chicken and mushroom pot noodle while masturbating furiously over a picture of that orange haired bird out of Lush? Ay, takes me back....


to the treasury! :lol:
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
beenieman
Posts: 15400
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 21:43

Postby beenieman » 15 Feb 2006, 21:41

Classic, canonical songs often acquire their status for the very reason that they are the best songs. It's not surprising to see their inclusion.

That said the lists that show the compiler treads a different path in their listening habits are interesting - though they can struggle to get the votes of a majority.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52737
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Feb 2006, 21:42

mediocretes wrote:Personally speaking, I'm still in, and every single track on my list is one of my favourites. Quite honestly, I find the suggestion that some of them may not be, that I may be "pandering to the masses" a little insulting.


I agree.

I'd attribute the fact that 'Rain' is on so many peoples' lists simply to our collective) estimation of it. I think it's cynical to see the appearance of certain songs as 'vote grabbers' and that view seems to me to espouse the idea of listing songs you want people to think are your favorites rather than your actual favorites themselves.

Remember when we did the 'Favorite Album' contest a while back? The results were pretty canonical. All I can conclude from that is that more people here like The Beatles than any particular esoteric or obscure artist. The notion that that somehow shouldn't be the case doesn't make any sense to me.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
dgs
Posts: 4766
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 23:02
Location: sconnie botland

Postby dgs » 15 Feb 2006, 21:54

Surely, the concept in this sort of competition is not to determine what are the best songs on an individual basis, otherwise its just a rehash of the vote your best 10 and then its a pretty logical conclusion as to whats going to win but rather the 10, 15, 20 songs as a whole, the sequence, the feeling, the blend of influences.

or have i totally misunderstood?
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

User avatar
beenieman
Posts: 15400
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 21:43

Postby beenieman » 15 Feb 2006, 21:57

dgs wrote:Surely, the concept in this sort of competition is not to determine what are the best songs on an individual basis, otherwise its just a rehash of the vote your best 10 and then its a pretty logical conclusion as to whats going to win but rather the 10, 15, 20 songs as a whole, the sequence, the feeling, the blend of influences.

or have i totally misunderstood?


I thought that at first and submitted the first 10 tracks from one of my favorite mix-tapes.

I was told I had totally misunderstood & so submitted a rehash of my best 10 which is what's went thru, and withdrew the earlier list.