THE BITTER RECRIMINATIONS THREAD 2006

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Mar 2006, 18:09

Strider wrote:This is my first BCB Cup and its really is a bit of silly fun don't you think. What is interesting for me to observe is the number of people whose basis for voting against a list is that it is too "canonical". If songs are great they are great despite how many people and critics say they are. No matter how many people say that "Rain" or "Gimme Shelter" or "Like A Rolling Stone" are great songs does not make them any less great and the converse is also true. What is one man's greatness is another man's mediocrity, I suppose. It just bothers me to see the number of folks voting against lists where they state that they like the artists and songs listed but then say its too "canonical". Too me, that just does not make sense.

mimsy!

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 14 Mar 2006, 20:21

Strider wrote:This is my first BCB Cup and its really is a bit of silly fun don't you think. What is interesting for me to observe is the number of people whose basis for voting against a list is that it is too "canonical". If songs are great they are great despite how many people and critics say they are. No matter how many people say that "Rain" or "Gimme Shelter" or "Like A Rolling Stone" are great songs does not make them any less great and the converse is also true. What is one man's greatness is another man's mediocrity, I suppose. It just bothers me to see the number of folks voting against lists where they state that they like the artists and songs listed but then say its too "canonical". Too me, that just does not make sense.

Are you sure they're voting against them? I've noted in my comments that a few lists are canonical or similar but still voted for them if I think they're the best list. I'm not sure people are voting against a list they like because of this?

It makes sense that the final winner will have the list that touches the most bases with the most of us rather than, say, a list dominated by reggae tunes.

So the further we progress the more "canonical" the lists will be.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Mar 2006, 16:13

beenieman wrote:Are you sure they're voting against them? I've noted in my comments that a few lists are canonical or similar but still voted for them if I think they're the best list.

Someone in one of the current matches expressed relief that neither list contained 'Rain'. I think it's just a sign of fatigue at seeing the same song nominated so many times. Somehow, this turns into a backlash against it, and I agree with Strider - that doesn't make any sense.

A song can only seem less great because more people proclaim its greatness if you have very shallow, snobby ideas about what greatness is.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 15 Mar 2006, 19:49

Snarfyguy wrote:
beenieman wrote:Are you sure they're voting against them? I've noted in my comments that a few lists are canonical or similar but still voted for them if I think they're the best list.

Someone in one of the current matches expressed relief that neither list contained 'Rain'. I think it's just a sign of fatigue at seeing the same song nominated so many times. Somehow, this turns into a backlash against it, and I agree with Strider - that doesn't make any sense.

A song can only seem less great because more people proclaim its greatness if you have very shallow, snobby ideas about what greatness is.

I'd be happy to see a list that doesn't include "Rain" cos it's a sub par Beatles song. Not because it's canonical. I didn't know it was.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Mar 2006, 20:13

beenieman wrote:I'd be happy to see a list that doesn't include "Rain" cos it's a sub par Beatles song. Not because it's canonical. I didn't know it was.

Stupid man. Go and lie down now.

Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 20 Mar 2006, 21:35

Diamond Dog wrote:
beenieman wrote:I'd be happy to see a list that doesn't include "Rain" cos it's a sub par Beatles song. Not because it's canonical. I didn't know it was.

Can you post the canon for me please. That way there'll be no more mistakes from me in the future.

Thanks very much.

Google_[Bot]

Postby Google_[Bot] » 23 Mar 2006, 11:28

Snarfyguy wrote:A song can only seem less great because more people proclaim its greatness if you have very shallow, snobby ideas about what greatness is.

*Reluctantly puts hand up*

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Apr 2006, 07:59

beenieman wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Can you post the canon for me please. That way there'll be no more mistakes from me in the future.

Thanks very much.

Do you want to know what I'm tired of? The word canon. It became the worthless buzzword for far too many on here. It was used in place of anything more expressive by lazy bastards unable to formulate their own ideas.

We ought to ban the word from all future posts in this forum - and expose some of the dunderheads for what they are - shallow, facile, moronic fuckwits.

Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Apr 2006, 08:09

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Apr 2006, 22:41

:evil:

Fuck the fucking lot of yous

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 03 Apr 2006, 23:05

John Coan wrote::evil:

Fuck the fucking lot of yous

you took it well, john. people notice things like that.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 03 Apr 2006, 23:12

I'm not bitter, really, I got beaten by a list that covered all the BCB Bases and seems to improve with every new 5 (unlike mine, which has got to the stage of "what's on my stereo? Hmm...that'll do"). However, just like the All Blacks, I was hyped up as being a contender for the final, and even possible winner. "He's in with a chance, they said." Just like the All Blacks, I had a charmed run until the semi-finals, whereby I fell foul due to lack of preparation and poor tactics. Oh well, I'll look to the playoff for third with John Coan. :-D

Strange how many different comments you can get with one list, I had "too eclectic", "too narrowminded", "excellent", "total shite"....the whole spectrum.

All the best to the winner of my semi, I wish him well. Maybe he'll be the champion this year, who knows?
Last edited by The Write Profile on 03 Apr 2006, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Apr 2006, 23:14

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:Strange how many different comments you can get with one list, I had "too eclectic", "too narrowminded", "excellent", "total shite"....the whole spectrum.

True, very true. I mean, there is sort of a 'BCB Canon', but mucho diversity within that.

marios

Postby marios » 03 Apr 2006, 23:30

So, now it's Jeff K vs Strider for the Cup.

The experienced heavyweight Vs the young pretender to the throne.

Can Jeff do the impossible?

:lol:

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 04 Apr 2006, 01:02

i'm open to bribes, non consecutively numbered notes in a brown paper bag will do
king of the divan

cheifwhat

Postby cheifwhat » 12 Apr 2006, 15:04

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:I'm not bitter, really, I got beaten by a list that covered all the BCB Bases and seems to improve with every new 5 (unlike mine, which has got to the stage of "what's on my stereo? Hmm...that'll do"). However, just like the All Blacks, I was hyped up as being a contender for the final, and even possible winner. "He's in with a chance, they said." Just like the All Blacks, I had a charmed run until the semi-finals, whereby I fell foul due to lack of preparation and poor tactics.

you are the cheifwhat of the second BCB cup.

in fact, stop copying me.
Mostly dancing sir,...

Prince Of Peace
Arisen From the Ashes

Postby Prince Of Peace » 23 Jul 2006, 20:51

HA HA WANKERS