Don't You Darken My Door Again

The Modernist

Don't You Darken My Door Again

Postby The Modernist » 08 Apr 2005, 16:33

Judging by some of the comments made, i reckon the following are persona non grata on BCB:
The Housemartins
The Smiths
Bjork
Jeff Buckley
Roxy Music
The Wedding Present

Any other vote losers?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 08 Apr 2005, 16:39

Joni Mitchell and Rickie Lee Jones were singled out from my list a couple of times. I deliberately voted against Genesis at least twice.
We're way past rhubarb

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Apr 2005, 16:49

I've deliberately been trying to recognise the good things in people's list rather than vote against a list simply because i don't like a particular artist which seems unnecessarilly negative. However, I think as voting goes on and people will be faced with lists whose strengths cancel each other out, people are increasingly likely to pick up on the tracks they don't like which they may have forgiven in earlier rounds.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 08 Apr 2005, 16:49

The Tonettes for some inexplicable reason. But that was just goldwax ...
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Apr 2005, 16:51

Leg of lamb wrote:The Tonettes for some inexplicable reason. But that was just goldwax ...

Yes, he suffers from Tonettes Syndrome.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 08 Apr 2005, 16:56

Deffo the Wedding Present.

Mentioning genesis has me reaching for the back button.

Cookie Monster

Postby Cookie Monster » 08 Apr 2005, 19:29

IlModernista wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:The Tonettes for some inexplicable reason. But that was just goldwax ...

Have you heard it? It's a shit song! With absolutely no soul! (It's on Stax.)

Mr Tapioca Head
formerly Mr Tapioca Head

Postby Mr Tapioca Head » 08 Apr 2005, 20:44

Manic Street Preachers
Tori Amos
Ash

were all vote losers in other lists.

My Sharona was the killer in mine
What mean expendable?

Mr Tapioca Head
formerly Mr Tapioca Head

Postby Mr Tapioca Head » 08 Apr 2005, 20:45

Mr Tapioca Head wrote:Manic Street Preachers
Tori Amos
Ash

were all vote losers in other lists.

My Sharona was the killer in mine

Picking no artist at all was the biggest vote loser of all though
What mean expendable?

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Re: Don't You Darken My Door Again

Postby Oscar » 08 Apr 2005, 21:07

IlModernista wrote:Judging by some of the comments made, i reckon the following are persona non grata on BCB:

Roxy Music

A person would have to be stone deaf, very ugly, on a severe heroin and alcohol intake and dead not to apreciate the utter genius of Roxy Music. What calibre of numpty are we tolerating on this board? And why don't we just ban them.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Apr 2005, 21:08

OSCAR wrote:
IlModernista wrote:Judging by some of the comments made, i reckon the following are persona non grata on BCB:

Roxy Music

A person would have to be stone deaf, very ugly, on a severe heroin and alcohol intake and dead not to apreciate the utter genius of Roxy Music. What calibre of numpty are we tolerating on this board? And why don't we just ban them.

Agreed. And insult them profusely before we banish them. Bastards.
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

dgs

Postby dgs » 08 Apr 2005, 21:31

meat and poison and all that .

I think the way its developed has been quite interesting. The last 8 are not who you may have thought from the outset and the last two rounds have been close with a "truer" insight into the boards listening habits.

Agree about roxy music and the same goes for the weddoes.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

Google_[Bot]

Postby Google_[Bot] » 08 Apr 2005, 22:29

sigh, The Korgis

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Apr 2005, 22:40

Rorschach wrote:sigh, The Korgis

..Yeah that came in for some stick. And yet it's such a beautiful sounding record. I always associate it The Passions I'm In Love.. as both had this spacious, oceanic sound that years later would be called chillout or ambient. But back then you had very few records that sounded like that.

Anyway i liked it.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Apr 2005, 22:42

IlModernista wrote:
Rorschach wrote:sigh, The Korgis

..Yeah that came in for some stick. And yet it's such a beautiful sounding record. I always associate it The Passions I'm In Love.. as both had this spacious, oceanic sound that years later would be called chillout or ambient. But back then you had very few records that sounded like that.

Anyway i liked it.

It's wishy washy, airy fairy, sanitised shite.
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 09 Apr 2005, 17:09

Cookie Monster wrote:
IlModernista wrote:

Have you heard it? It's a shit song! With absolutely no soul! (It's on Stax.)

It's pristine girl group pop and utterly, gorgeously, devastatingly sad. The fact that it doesn't conform to the Stax archetype of 'soul' matters not one jot to me. A lovely anomaly.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 09 Apr 2005, 17:24

OSCAR wrote:

Roxy Music

Now I'm all for Roxy Music, but it is an acquired taste. It only comes naturally to those who are borderline geriatric and live in the U.K. (which could probably be limited further to Jolly Olde England).
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 11 Apr 2005, 23:23

OSCAR wrote:
A person would have to be stone deaf, very ugly, on a severe heroin and alcohol intake and dead not to apreciate the utter genius of Roxy Music.

and yet you like them.

(for the record, i love the korgis track)
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

x
sometimes abrasive

Postby x » 12 Apr 2005, 12:01

OSCAR wrote:

The original Poxy Music - the biggest load of preening, posing pseuds who made the worst cacophony that I've seen and heard in a lifetime (well, Steve Harley (but not Cockney Rebel) also gets a special mention in the 'preening, posing pseud' category of my diaries.).

Out of the audience that saw them that night I would imagine they earned the emnity of well over 85%. They were absolute shite! And they have done nothing in the meantime to change my mind.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 12 Apr 2005, 12:05

OSCAR wrote:A person would have to be stone deaf, very ugly, on a severe heroin and alcohol intake and dead not to apreciate the utter genius of Roxy Music. What calibre of numpty are we tolerating on this board? And why don't we just ban them.

Nah, that's just plain wrong. They were very annoying, especially when the singin gstarted. Sophisticated as Tony Hadley.