The new canon

The Modernist

The new canon

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2005, 18:19

I've been quite surprised at the popularity of some songs on people's list. One of the things that's been interesting is to see the artists that have done well on here and although I've not measured this in any way it seems the canon artists like The Beatles, Dylan, Bowie haven't done that well. The Stones have just about held their own. Artists that do seem to reoccur and do well include The Temptations, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, REM and The Kinks. Songs which keep cropping up on a number of lists are:
Witchita Lineman -Glenn Campbell
Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
Cattle And Cane -The Go Betweens
Atmosphere -Joy Division
Waterloo Sunset -The Kinks
Some Velvet Morning -Lee Hazlewood And Nancy Sinatra.

Any others to add or comments in general?

Stat Boy

Postby 010101010101 » 06 Apr 2005, 18:22

There have been a few mentions of Dinosaur Jr's Freak Scene too

--
Judgement Day is upon you

Postby -- » 06 Apr 2005, 18:32

Wu-Tang's Gravel Pit.

Which is, quite frankly, :shock:

Stat Boy

Postby 010101010101 » 06 Apr 2005, 18:38

Iam wrote:Wu-Tang's Gravel Pit.

Made my longlist

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 06 Apr 2005, 18:38

One of the best top 5 singles of the last decade though, i think it's one that reached out beyond people who buy wu stuff generally as well

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2005, 18:56

Owen wrote:

One of the best top 5 singles of the last decade though, i think it's one that reached out beyond people who buy wu stuff generally as well

Really?? I find it rather dull with that repetitive synth line going throughout. The appeal of this is a bit of a mystery to me.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 06 Apr 2005, 19:00

IlModernista wrote:
Owen wrote:

Really?? I find it rather dull with that repetitive synth line going throughout. The appeal of this is a bit of a mystery to me.

The synth keeps it danceable while they do all sorts of 'chuck it all in' lunacy over the top.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 06 Apr 2005, 22:19

The Roots: The Seed has been getting a lot of votes, which is deserving considering it pretty much is one of the more interesting pop songs of the last few years. It works so well, grinding, sharp rock attack merged with one of Black Thought's least sanctimonious, most enjoyable raps/lyrics.

At the risk of saying what Owen did again, Gravel Pit's appeal lies in the "it's kind of strange but I can't pinpoint why", maybe it's the fact that there is that underlying synth line merged with that wierd hook and the fact that ODB seems to be going gently insane.

As has been said before, the closer you get to the finish, the easier it is to "pick posters", but also groups as well. Dylan has got mentioned quite a bit, but it's never really been one song (Visions of Johannah got a couple of votes, there were some others too). Very little James Brown either, which is a bit surprising to say the least.

I think there's been a great mix between young and old.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 06 Apr 2005, 23:02

I like that Wu Tang Clan track, but I always found it somewhat lazy. Effectively, all they did was loop an irresistible riff from Cameo's "Back and Forth" and do very little with it.

Frankly, I'd rather listen to Cameo.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 06 Apr 2005, 23:06

I'd rather listen to the groundhogs :)
You don't like me...do you?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 07 Apr 2005, 06:10

the masked man wrote:I like that Wu Tang Clan track, but I always found it somewhat lazy. Effectively, all they did was loop an irresistible riff from Cameo's "Back and Forth" and do very little with it.

Frankly, I'd rather listen to Cameo.

It's nowhere near as brutally on-point as "Bring the Rukus" or sonically mad as the mess that is "Liquid Swords", for sure, but it's certainly one of the Wu's best 'pop' numbers. Depends how you like your Wu, I suppose.

Eric B & Rakim as well as DJ Shadow have been getting votes for more than one of their tracks, again, good to see. It's funny how it's mainly split between either the breathless, opening gamibt of "I Know You Got Soul" or the more linguistically exciting "Follow the Leader" for EB&R.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Love Vigilante

Postby Love Vigilante » 07 Apr 2005, 09:48

IlModernista wrote:
Owen wrote:

I don't see the fuss either. Pretty average stuff, fails to hold my attention beyond thirty seconds.

As for the surprisingly "rare" appearances for the Beatles, I have theories. The main one is that I expect most people, even with their first ten before we saw what sort of criteria others were judging on, probably didn't want to appear as Slaves to the Canon. And the Beatles are probably the most obvious artist one could pick.

An alternative idea is that maybe we're a bit bored of the Beatles? But I'm not sure this idea holds up, because why would we be bored of the Beatles but not bored of the forty year old, overplayed, Radio 2 favourite that is Waterloo Sunset?
BCB UEFA Cup Fantasy Football Champion 2006/07

Doctor Jimmy
Continental Fuckwit

Postby Doctor Jimmy » 07 Apr 2005, 13:10

I think so far Roadrunner gets the highest number of appearances.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Apr 2005, 21:19

Doctor Jimmy wrote:I think so far Roadrunner gets the highest number of appearances.

I wonder which version most prefer. For me it's the Cale one with that brutal organ sound.