round 2 match 14 - Dr Jimmy out

Doctor Jimmy
Continental Fuckwit

Postby Doctor Jimmy » 04 Apr 2005, 12:57

It's not too bad, though I might have gone for different Costello and Waits tracks if I had given it some more thought. Pinball Wizard isn't my favourite Who track either, but since it was the first one I ever heard and the one that had me sold instantly, it holds a very special place for me.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Apr 2005, 13:56

Doctor Jimmy wrote:It's not too bad, though I might have gone for different Costello and Waits tracks if I had given it some more thought. Pinball Wizard isn't my favourite Who track either, but since it was the first one I ever heard and the one that had me sold instantly, it holds a very special place for me.

I voted for you David, but it was a good opponent you came up against. I have to say the costello track was a wierd one....
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 04 Apr 2005, 14:04

Diamond Dog wrote:
Doctor Jimmy wrote:It's not too bad, though I might have gone for different Costello and Waits tracks if I had given it some more thought. Pinball Wizard isn't my favourite Who track either, but since it was the first one I ever heard and the one that had me sold instantly, it holds a very special place for me.

I voted for you David, but it was a good opponent you came up against. I have to say the costello track was a wierd one....

One of the reasons I voted for your selection was because of the Costello track.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 04 Apr 2005, 14:25

OSCAR wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

One of the reasons I voted for your selection was because of the Costello track.

i didn't vote for him but yeah it's a cracking track, one of the last ones of his that i rated. Seemed a bit weird seeing it singled out as a weak link

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 04 Apr 2005, 15:04

Owen wrote:
OSCAR wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

i didn't vote for him but yeah it's a cracking track, one of the last ones of his that i rated. Seemed a bit weird seeing it singled out as a weak link

Great album, great track. It would definitely have been my choice of track from the album (or maybe Poisoned Rose ... or Little Palaces).

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Apr 2005, 15:13

I suppose it's that I really don't rate the album that highly, so choosing a track off of it seems odd - to me. If you like the album, fair enough. For me, it doesn't begin to compare with "Imperial Bedroom" or "This Years Model".

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 04 Apr 2005, 15:21

Diamond Dog wrote:I suppose it's that I really don't rate the album that highly, so choosing a track off of it seems odd - to me. If you like the album, fair enough. For me, it doesn't begin to compare with "Imperial Bedroom" or "This Years Model".
Nothing compares to 'Imperial Bedroom' or 'This Years Model'

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Apr 2005, 15:23

OSCAR wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I suppose it's that I really don't rate the album that highly, so choosing a track off of it seems odd - to me. If you like the album, fair enough. For me, it doesn't begin to compare with "Imperial Bedroom" or "This Years Model".

So why choose a track off of something else?

I fear we may reach consensus here.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 04 Apr 2005, 19:11

"Indoor Fireworks" was actually one of the reasons I voted for Doctor Jimmy's list too. It's a fine song from an underrated album, and I'd always thought of it as one of Costello's most satisfying songs. I was delighted to see someone else thought the same.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 04 Apr 2005, 19:30

Diamond Dog wrote:
OSCAR wrote:

So why choose a track off of something else?

I fear we may reach consensus here.

To be honest, I would (did) struggle to choose one track from 'Imperial Bedroom' or 'This Years Model'. I adore both albums from beginning to end. I think 'Indoor Fireworks' stands up amongst Costello's best compositions even if the album it comes from isn't in his top league. I think the song is a fantastic metaphor and has a wonderful timeless quality.