Be Honest

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Be Honest

Postby Oscar » 31 Mar 2005, 23:48

I'm choosing my next 5 tracks because I'm through the second round, obviously. I've found myself being influenced by a couple of factors. There's a couple of tracks that are clearly my favourites but have been covered quite frequently by other contestants. I'm reluctant to include these tracks on my list. Also, I'm conscious of the balance of the genres I'm using in my choices. So much so that I'm trying to second guess what people will like or dislike. Is anyone else loosing integrity as quickly as I am?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Apr 2005, 00:00

I know what you mean. I think with music we tend to do that a bit generally anyway i.e. present our tastes to people in a way that shows it in the best possible light (C'mon be honest who hasn't slipped a cool looking album to the front of their pile when you know you've got someone coming round to your flat).
That said i've tried to be as honest as possible. In my next five, I've picked three that might not be known by quite a few people. In all honestly it'll be a vote losing list but that doesn't matter as I like it. It's too easy to pick what people like, I think we could all do it, so if you won that way it would bring no intrinsic satisfaction.
That said, I have been influenced in one way. I might well have picked Atmosphere on another day but its ubiquity has, I'll admit, put me off a bit. I wouldn't vote against it though, I still think it's an amazing song.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 01 Apr 2005, 00:03

I'm trying to pander to people's tastes because I want you all to like me!

I genuinely love the songs on my list but a few of them turned up on other lists too which makes me question my own tastes
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

marios

Postby marios » 01 Apr 2005, 03:15

IlModernista wrote: C'mon be honest who hasn't slipped a cool looking album to the front of their pile when you know you've got someone coming round to your flat?

Ha ha!

Wanker.

:wink:

OK, so perhaps i did it once or twice...

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 01 Apr 2005, 05:18

IlModernista wrote: C'mon be honest who hasn't slipped a cool looking album to the front of their pile when you know you've got someone coming round to your flat?

I don't have any :(

I haven't really tried to gain voted by constructing my list to fit tastes except that I cut back on the prog and heavy rock a bit when I noticed that many fans weren't playing the game. Didn't work though. If I had got through to the next round I probably would have taken comments into account. For example someone said my list was very 'white' (which it is but not deliberately so) so I may have included Stevie Wonder and Miles Davis for the next round as both were on my short list anyway.

Google_[Bot]

Postby Google_[Bot] » 01 Apr 2005, 11:46

I didn't take comments about my actual list into account so much as the general way I felt opinion was moving. At the very start, my original ten seemed well favoured but as the competition progressed I detected a shift in public opinion away from my original choices and towards, well, other stuff.
I admit that influenced my next five choices though I still went for stuff I love.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Apr 2005, 11:50

My mindset was this - if I had to take ten tracks with me to a desert island today, what would they be? I chose accordingly.
For the next five I just imagined someone had said I could have five more.

Trying to analyse how people think about music is the surest way to the funny farm.
In other words an extended look into *******’s head, and it seems to have some pretty good things in it (who among us is totally free of mental garbage?) It’s nice to see that he is confident enough so he can play some blues again,I’d like to hear more.

Google_[Bot]

Postby Google_[Bot] » 01 Apr 2005, 11:57

Diamond Dog wrote:Trying to analyse how people think about music is the surest way to the funny farm.

Even surer than insatiably collecting data on and bootlegs of one band (who weren't that good anyway) whilst working for the post office?

I think not!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Apr 2005, 12:02

Rorschach wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Trying to analyse how people think about music is the surest way to the funny farm.

Even surer than insatiably collecting data on and bootlegs of one band (who weren't that good anyway) whilst working for the post office?

I think not!

To paraphrase The Slider, fuck off The Big Nose.
In other words an extended look into *******’s head, and it seems to have some pretty good things in it (who among us is totally free of mental garbage?) It’s nice to see that he is confident enough so he can play some blues again,I’d like to hear more.

Google_[Bot]

Postby Google_[Bot] » 01 Apr 2005, 12:05

Diamond Dog wrote:

Not so much paraphrasing as quoting (and adding an article for some reason).

You chaps are just jealous anyway because you know girls really dig big noses.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Apr 2005, 12:29

Rorschach wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Not so much paraphrasing as quoting (and adding an article for some reason).

You chaps are just jealous anyway because you know girls really dig big noses.

The "some reason" in question being here:-

http://www.blackcatbone.34sp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24541&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=118
We're way past rhubarb

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Apr 2005, 13:04

Sorry, I just assumed everyone knew about His Lordship's latest decree.

Beno

Postby Beno » 01 Apr 2005, 22:12

OSCAR wrote:There's a couple of tracks that are clearly my favourites but have been covered quite frequently by other contestants. I'm reluctant to include these tracks on my list.

I agree, the original 10 songs were effectively picked "blind" so it didn't matter if others had the same choice of, say Heroes - how could you have known? Even if Heroes was genuinely your 16th favourite song though I doubt you would include it in your list now - and that's not about winning, it's about not looking a prat.

Lord Belborough wrote:someone said my list was very 'white' (which it is but not deliberately so) so I may have included Stevie Wonder and Miles Davis for the next round as both were on my short list anyway.

Comments received about the black/white, rock/pop and male/female balance of lists can have a more insidious influence. I would hope that nobody would pick a track they didn't truly care for to meet a quota. Choosing 5 from say 15 tracks on a shortlist though comes down to a whim at the moment of posting so it is possible at some level "quotas" do come into play.

It's not about racism or sexism of course, just about trying to prove how rounded your musical knowledge is. Not that having only white male rock in your list means you know nothing about other music, just that it wouldn't appear in your first hour of perfect listening pleasure - which over a lifetime isn't much.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Apr 2005, 10:37

Thinking about this (which is dangerous) I'm a little confused why the 'obvious' choices are so derided by so many. Surely, there's a perfectly acceptable reason for an awful lot of lists including "Waterloo Sunset" or "Heroes" for instance - they're excellent tracks that have (in those selectees eyes) stood the test of time. If the idea is to present a representative cross section of the persons musical taste, they should be included. If the idea is to present a snapshot of what the person thinks is cool, they probably won't be.

I prefer honest to cool.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 02 Apr 2005, 11:38

Diamond Dog wrote:Thinking about this (which is dangerous) I'm a little confused why the 'obvious' choices are so derided by so many. Surely, there's a perfectly acceptable reason for an awful lot of lists including "Waterloo Sunset" or "Heroes" for instance - they're excellent tracks that have (in those selectees eyes) stood the test of time. If the idea is to present a representative cross section of the persons musical taste, they should be included. If the idea is to present a snapshot of what the person thinks is cool, they probably won't be.

I prefer honest to cool.

Yeah, there does seem to be a trend towards rewarding the esoteric or surprising lists as more 'personal' and I'd be a bit upset if someone said that about my list. Just because lots of other people vote for Atmosphere doesn't mean that it can't mean the world to you alone.

Saying that, though, if a person picks a more leftfield choice that's also a favourite of mine then I'll be more inclined to vote for them than a list of 'safe' favourites. That's just human nature. But I can honestly say that Heroes, Atmosphere, Waterloo Sunset, Beatles songs, etc have never worked negatively in a list. That would just be madness.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 02 Apr 2005, 12:06

I have Waterloo Sunset and Heroes on my original list, but it would seem like a wasted choice to chose Atmosphere now, much as I love it.
Maybe we should have all chosen 25 songs before the whole thing started and they would be released 10 then 5 and 5 and 5. Then again, it is quite fun this way.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 02 Apr 2005, 12:16

I thought about going a bit more BCB with my subs as i think the only people who had heard 4 or 5 of my first 10 probably would have been those who did so on my comps or because i'd raved about them and people obviously can only go for stuff they know. but I thought fuck it in the end, I knew that at least one of them would cost me votes (and it has) but it's a big part of my musical make up so it stayed

Heroes and Waterloo sunset have both been vote winners for me, i'm not that into Joy division, it's only really when there's a tie that i've gone for stuff on the basis of taking a chance. I voted for both spesh and the bhoy in the first round and either list could have come from a mojo list special edition

marios

Postby marios » 02 Apr 2005, 12:29

So, are we supposed to choose another 5 for the quarter-finals now?

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 02 Apr 2005, 14:03

How many people are left in?

I've lost count :(

marios

Postby marios » 02 Apr 2005, 14:17

The Prof wrote:How many people are left in?

I've lost count :(

My bad. Final 16, not quarter finals.

I've just sent my 5 to Tapioca.