Be Honest

The Midnight Special
Renaissance Man

Postby The Midnight Special » 02 Apr 2005, 20:39

There is a certain set of perhaps 50 songs, maybe 100 which would get in my definite top 50/100/however many list. But apart from the top handful, I couldn't put them in any order if my life depended on it. These are the songs that are in contention for my squad(s). Luckily that allows me too pick and choose with half an eye on the potential responses, without any guilt about going for popularity. The songs that have made it into my list have been the ones that have come to mind. That said, I'd have included more pre-war blues - but I bottled it because I considered few people would know them. I also did make a conscious effort not to appear to be "classic" with songs for the second round, after being accused of it in the first round.
Gracias por su visita

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 03 Apr 2005, 08:51

Of course, people with really individual , esoteric taste were bound to lose out to the wittering drones. Those of us who seek out new and interesting sounds, who revere the truly innovative , original artists, were always going to be beaten down by the mob at the first hurdle.

Not that I'm bitter...
You don't like me...do you?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Apr 2005, 09:01

Unlucky Bear wrote:Of course, people with really individual , esoteric taste were bound to lose out to the wittering drones. Those of us who seek out new and interesting sounds, who revere the truly innovative , original artists, were always going to be beaten down by the mob at the first hurdle.

Not that I'm bitter...

Well, you've just contradicted what most have said so far - that being that, in fact, people are tending to vote against 'safe' lists and look positively on the stunningly elitist sets (like yours).
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 03 Apr 2005, 09:13

Diamond Dog wrote:
Unlucky Bear wrote:Of course, people with really individual , esoteric taste were bound to lose out to the wittering drones. Those of us who seek out new and interesting sounds, who revere the truly innovative , original artists, were always going to be beaten down by the mob at the first hurdle.

Not that I'm bitter...

Well, you've just contradicted what most have said so far - that being that, in fact, people are tending to vote against 'safe' lists and look positively on the stunningly elitist sets (like yours).

Well, a lot of talk is all very well, but when it came down to the vote...it was all smokey robinson and the beach boys...makes me sick.

I think I'll start my own trophy, and it will be invite only!!

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 03 Apr 2005, 09:20

Unlucky Bear wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Not that I'm bitter...

Well, a lot of talk is all very well, but when it came down to the vote...it was all smokey robinson and the beach boys...makes me sick.

I think I'll start my own trophy, and it will be invite only!!

May not be a bad idea actually. I could include my favourite genesis track then.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 05 Apr 2005, 09:45

I was previously unaware that we were noy allowed to vote for songs that other people might like (for some reason I'm slated for including James Brown and the Beatles :roll: *snob emoticon*) so for my next 5, I thought bollox to this and chose what I wanted regardless.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 05 Apr 2005, 10:25

Not that I'm bitter...

And you chose this list?

The headmaster ritual - The Smiths.
Town Crier - Elvis Costello
Numbers - Soft Cell
I heard it thru the Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Suspicious minds - Elvis presley
I Talk to the wind - King Crimson
I would be in love anyway - Frank Sinatra
Back in the Night - Dr Feelgood
Skanga Rupee edwards
Split pt 2 - The groundhogs

I mean, good on you for choosing the songs you clearly love, but calling a list with the Groundhogs in it innovative is pushing it a bit.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 05 Apr 2005, 18:01

Bleep wrote:

Not that I'm bitter...

And you chose this list?

The headmaster ritual - The Smiths.
Town Crier - Elvis Costello
Numbers - Soft Cell
I heard it thru the Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Suspicious minds - Elvis presley
I Talk to the wind - King Crimson
I would be in love anyway - Frank Sinatra
Back in the Night - Dr Feelgood
Skanga Rupee edwards
Split pt 2 - The groundhogs

I mean, good on you for choosing the songs you clearly love, but calling a list with the Groundhogs in it innovative is pushing it a bit.

I was 12 when split came out. It was the most astonishing noise i had ever heard. The whole of the split quartet is still an amazing achievement, and with Cherry Red on side two, it still stands as an extremely influential and innovative album, and split part two is the best track on it. In 1971 TS Mcphee was pushing back the boundaries of elctric guitar performance. I stand by my ( somewhat tongue in cheek) comments.