A Modest Proposal

Samoan

Re: A Modest Proposal

Postby Samoan » 04 Mar 2014, 18:25

The Modernist wrote:
The Fish wrote:
My vote would be for 6 in the first round and then add 2 each round thereafter. 6 means you have to think a bit more about your list. It is enough to impose your personality but not enough to cherry pick every genre. Adding two each round means you will only need to check the last two on each list and as the track numbers increase the number of ties decreases, so the final will be a workable 16 tracks each.

I'd be cool with that.

I think that's a very good idea.
Darkness_Fish wrote: I picked Soft Machine, on the basis I couldn't be bothered listening to the others.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 04 Mar 2014, 18:26

I like that idea too.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 04 Mar 2014, 20:46

never/ever wrote:As far as I know Skope took his ball all by himself and left on his own accord, citing that he needed some time off. So if you are implying I hounded him off in some way, ask the ones who know him.

He didn't give any reason, he just asked me to delete his account. I think he'd just stopped having fun on the board.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 04 Mar 2014, 21:07

the masked man wrote:I like that idea too.

It's the best one so far.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 04 Mar 2014, 21:10

Rayge wrote:
Samoan wrote:I would certainly be up for organizing something else – I've probably got more free time than anyone else on the board, after all.

Do it.

:)

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 04 Mar 2014, 21:15

ANYBODY who wants the mantle of Bizarro, pm me and i'll give you the login
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 04 Mar 2014, 21:46

Count Machuki wrote:ANYBODY who wants the mantle of Bizarro, pm me and i'll give you the login

Bizarro say I want it!

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 04 Mar 2014, 22:15

Count Machuki wrote:ANYBODY who wants the mantle of Bizarro, pm me and i'll give you the login

Another one of life's great mysteries revealed. :cry:

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Mar 2014, 04:37

oh, it's SO yours, G
wear it with honor
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Mar 2014, 08:14

Count Machuki wrote:oh, it's SO yours, G
wear it with honor

In Bizarro world when he say I want it, it mean he no want it!

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 05 Mar 2014, 11:01

Samoan wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
The Fish wrote:
My vote would be for 6 in the first round and then add 2 each round thereafter. 6 means you have to think a bit more about your list. It is enough to impose your personality but not enough to cherry pick every genre. Adding two each round means you will only need to check the last two on each list and as the track numbers increase the number of ties decreases, so the final will be a workable 16 tracks each.

I'd be cool with that.

I think that's a very good idea.

I like it but I think six songs is too few. You'd get less variety and people would be less willing to throw in one or two unusual or risky picks.
I think starting with ten and adding just two or three a round would be good.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Mar 2014, 11:14

I think the idea with not starting with ten is to discourage the catch-all lists.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Mar 2014, 11:32

I haven’t liked the substituting idea to be honest. You live and die by your list, warts n all. And whilst I agree that the lists needed to be shorter I like seeing a list build up over time.
Copehead wrote:I have never seen anything that doesn't convince me that Joe Average people who vote Conservative are fundamentally too thick to understand the world

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Mar 2014, 12:00

The Modernist wrote:I think the idea with not starting with ten is to discourage the catch-all lists.

Has a list with only 6 tracks on it enough gravitas to make you vote for it though?

I think adding songs to an existing list is easier as it may turn people onto voting more for it if they didn't like it the first time- I know that I have ended up changing my mind on lists because of additions. In the beginning I found it confusing to recognize lists and to earmark them if I had listened to the tracks before. What also was a bit 'annoying' was that some of the substituted tracks were the ones that made me vote for the list upfront- they 'anchored' my vote in a way that I would have to be really swayed not to vote for the other list.
It was interesting though to have tried this but I do prefer the 'adding' system. Perhaps that we start with 10 tracks first, then add one song, for the semis add 2 songs and for the finals 3 songs? If possible, entrants can change one track of their initial 10 top too?
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 05 Mar 2014, 12:26

GoogaMooga wrote:I wouldn't know what to submit as "prog/post-rock/modern classical". In fact, other than a greater timespan, stipulating genres is not a good idea IMO.

I'd be RIGHT up for a Post-Rock/Modern Classical Cup.

EPRA would finally stand some chance of making an impact... :ugeek:
Just a penitent man

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 05 Mar 2014, 12:42

never/ever wrote:
Has a list with only 6 tracks on it enough gravitas to make you vote for it though?

Saints preserve us from any list that is aiming for gravitas. To me that is synonymous with earnestness and formality, in every way the opposite of things like fun, sparkiness and originality which would make me want to vote for a list.

I think maybe that is not the choice of word you were aiming for. Perhaps you were thinking of something closer to roundedness ?

Personally with just six I would be more inclined to check out all of the links, rather than reach a decision based on one being ahead on the basis of some random sampling. I believe this will lead to more informed voting.
We're way past rhubarb

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Mar 2014, 12:56

never/ever wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I think the idea with not starting with ten is to discourage the catch-all lists.

It does when it's picked by me.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Mar 2014, 13:01

never/ever wrote:It was interesting though to have tried this but I do prefer the 'adding' system. Perhaps that we start with 10 tracks first, then add one song, for the semis add 2 songs and for the finals 3 songs? If possible, entrants can change one track of their initial 10 top too?

The problem with that is you end up with lists that look more or less the same each round, which I think was one of the problems this year.
I think we should go with The Fish's suggestion which seems to be the best compromise. It keeps the basic format of the original cup, whilst preventing long, unwieldy lists. I quite like the idea of paring the number of songs initially because it increases the focus on each choice and it becomes more about individual songs rather than just liking the look and spread of a list of artists.
Ultimately it's MM's call, but these suggestions are all food for thought.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 05 Mar 2014, 13:37

Speaking as somebody who doesn't compete but who does vote, 10 tracks per list in the 1st round, when there are up to 60-odd lists, is FAR TOO MANY. I didn't bother voting in the 1st round this year, because it would have been ridiculously time-consuming to listen to links etc.

6 tracks sounds sensible, and I'd hope that a good list of 6 would be ample enough to pique my interest.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Mar 2014, 14:04

The Modernist wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:oh, it's SO yours, G
wear it with honor

In Bizarro world when he say I want it, it mean he no want it!

D'oh

Anybody else?!