is this the end of the bcb cups?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

is this the end of the bcb cups?

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Feb 2014, 05:57

People not submitting lists, drop-offs in number of voters, a struggle to gather 64, you think this cup idea has been played out? I still enjoy the cup, but I am only four years into it. Maybe after ten cups I won't feel the same enthusiasm. Andrew's new format cup works for me, but I think to really revitalize the cup in 2015, we need more newbies. I've got ninety-odd views on my recruitment thread posted in Sweden, but not a single one has joined. I have also tried in Denmark before to no avail. But if any of you are posting on other forums, perhaps start a recruitment thread there. Let's save the bcb cup!
1966 and all that

The Modernist

Re: is this the end of the bcb cups?

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2014, 07:28

It's symptomatic of what's happened to the board in the last few years..people leaving, posting less etc. That's just where we are, there's not much that can be done, so just enjoy the board for what it is and don't worry.

der nister

Postby der nister » 10 Feb 2014, 15:52

The Modernist wrote:It's symptomatic of what's happened to the board in the last few years..people leaving, posting less etc. That's just where we are, there's not much that can be done, so just enjoy the board for what it is and don't worry.

as the board shrinks
maybe we should think
of having less sections
and running movies, cups, announcements
through the general Yateky or Nextdoorland
for some added dynamism
though I know you're all queing up
to say "No" :lol: oh, well
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2014, 17:06

I'd be okay with that myself, but I've a feeling many wouldn't so it might open up a hornets nest. I guess you could start a thread in NDL gauging opinion.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Feb 2014, 20:02

Funny - I'm enjoying this cup more than the last few. The key for me (paradoxically) was to submit a list that mattered less to me. In the past I went with songs that meant a lot to me, and it pissed me off to have them dismissed clearly unlistened to by most. This year I'm just throwing out interesting stuff that amuses me. I accept that only 4 or 5 people will actually hear the music. Hopefully they enjoy it. Everyone else is gonna do what they always do.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 10 Feb 2014, 20:06

I think it's disappointing that voting has dropped because we have had a high quotient of interesting lists this year. People are trying to move away from the standard formula and find new things. I'm still not convinced by the new rules, I think we will see the lists get more conservative as we get to the later rounds, and would like to see them grow more organically as it were, but I still think the standard this year is comparatively high.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 10 Feb 2014, 20:13

There were a handful of dropouts, but these usually had a good reason for it. I must say, however, that those who are partaking still seem to be enjoying the competition, and generally the rule change I've introduced has been well received. Now that we're nearing the end of the second round, we're approaching the 'business end' of the cup, and competition is hotting up. I don't we need to sound the death bell just yet.

I think one consequence of the rule change is that, as the lists remain concise throughout the tournament, every song has to count. I think fine tuning is definitely preferable to accumulation of songs.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 10 Feb 2014, 20:44

the masked man wrote: I think fine tuning is definitely preferable to accumulation of songs.

With respect to the organizer, I couldn't disagree more.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2014, 20:58

VRZ Robotz wrote:Funny - I'm enjoying this cup more than the last few. The key for me (paradoxically) was to submit a list that mattered less to me. In the past I went with songs that meant a lot to me, and it pissed me off to have them dismissed clearly unlistened to by most. This year I'm just throwing out interesting stuff that amuses me. I accept that only 4 or 5 people will actually hear the music. Hopefully they enjoy it. Everyone else is gonna do what they always do.

Winning your tie are you Davey? :lol:

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 10 Feb 2014, 20:59

I have to concur with Andrew. I think the fine-tuning ia a really interesting aspect. But I can also appreciate those who adhere to the reg format. Perhaps a poll is in order.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 10 Feb 2014, 21:40

GoogaMooga wrote: I have also tried in Denmark before to no avail.

Bless yr heart, man
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 10 Feb 2014, 21:45

There's always a drop-off, it's no biggie. What is odd is people still in the comp not voting.

The cups will survive WIMS withdrawl, huge loss that one.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

B

Postby B » 10 Feb 2014, 22:39

Technically I'm not in the competition anymore. Fuckers. But I been out of town, missed voting on some stuff. Back now though