Who's still in: Cup 2014

Polishgirl

Re: Who's still in: Cup 2014

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Feb 2014, 16:12

VRZ Robotz wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:I completely dig that. I don't want lists that are up their own arses with cleverness and obscurityness, just because they think that'll win them more votes from the BCB glitterati.

I want lists like Nick's; lists that tell me something about the compiler and what s/he likes,- lists that come from the heart, not the head, if you will ( cue sound of violins playing). Seriously. I don't need to be impressed; I need to be entertained and enlightened about the person behind the selection.

I think that the notion that a more obscure list will win more votes is hysterical. It tends to work the other way unless a list is very, very narrow.

But what I really want to take issue with is this idea that more obvious lists are more heartfelt. Did it ever occur to you that a lot of music you consider clever and obscure might be comfort food for the person making the list? Maybe they are trying to tell you something about themselves?

Personally I see the cup as a time to shine the light on a few songs I love that don't get a lot of attention here. Is that less personal than regurgitating the BCB canon slightly differently each year?

I wasn't saying that. What I SAID was "I don't want lists that are up their own arses with cleverness and obscurityness, just because they think that'll win them more votes from the BCB glitterati."

It's great to listen to a list and find something new that I wouldn't otherwise be aware of. It's the JUST BECAUSE bit that's integral to what I was saying. I didn't say that the obvious ones are more heartfelt. Nick's wasn't obvious,imho; it was a list that I enjoyed because it included stuff I knew and stuff I didn't, but it hung together well and felt authentic. It's the way I perceive the motivation behind the track choices. It's always going to be subjective; that's how it works.

There's really no need to start wringing your hands about hysterical notions.

My other issue with the Cup - and this again is a personal one- there are so many contestants at the outset and I just don't have the time to listen to every track I don't know on every list and/or how those tracks hang together when taken as a whole. That's why I didn't vote in the first round.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Feb 2014, 16:27

All well and good. And of course, we are free to project whatever intentions we want on the makers of any list. But that doesn't make our projections right.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 20 Feb 2014, 16:32

VRZ Robotz wrote:
Personally I see the cup as a time to shine the light on a few songs I love that don't get a lot of attention here.

Me too, despite not having much in common with the majority here. That's what's so nice about the song v song format (and this plays into what Pippa said about having so many songs to listen to in the first round) - it really spotlights individual tunes, and I'm sure people actually listen to them ALL THE WAY THRU, looking for/examining nuances, etc.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 20 Feb 2014, 16:58

Who are these BCB glitterati then ?

How do I join ? :P
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Feb 2014, 17:07

Samoan wrote:Who are these BCB glitterati then ?

How do I join ? :P

They're the ones who look like pearly kings and queens. There's a series of fearsome and appalling perverted initiation ceremonies that one has to go through in order to join ( aka Jolly Ups ) and even then, elevation to their glorious status is in no way guaranteed. :D
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Feb 2014, 17:09

It's basically me, Googa and the computer program set up to play the role of John Coan. We seldom accept new blood, and there's an elaborate hazing ritual when we do.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 20 Feb 2014, 17:18

GoogaMooga wrote:
VRZ Robotz wrote:But what I really want to take issue with is this idea that more obvious lists are more heartfelt. Did it ever occur to you that a lot of music you consider clever and obscure might be comfort food for the person making the list? Maybe they are trying to tell you something about themselves?

Personally I see the cup as a time to shine the light on a few songs I love that don't get a lot of attention here. Is that less personal than regurgitating the BCB canon slightly differently each year?

Precisely - I had a feeling those two Trevor Horn Orchestra songs would work against me, but they were a statement of intent, I just HAD to share, first round exit or not.

Then you should have picked the Trevor Horn track you liked the best and not picked two like a twat.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 20 Feb 2014, 18:00

:lol:

There's filling your list with exciting new obscure nuggets you think people will dig... and then there's putting two Trevor Horn Orchestra tracks on there.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 20 Feb 2014, 20:09

It's fair to say that the cup brings out the best in Moddie.
I run out of talent

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Feb 2014, 20:10

WG Kaspar wrote:It's fair to say that the cup brings out the best in Moddie.

Yeah - I just wish he was as feisty on YY!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 20 Feb 2014, 20:36

THE DADDY wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:It's fair to say that the cup brings out the best in Moddie.

Yeah - I just wish he was as feisty on YY!

There's nothing I can discuss on there. I've never heard a Boston album!

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Feb 2014, 20:37

Start a thread on what you have heard then!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 20 Feb 2014, 20:52

THE DADDY wrote:Start a thread on what you have heard then!

Can't be arsed!

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Feb 2014, 20:55

And there you have it.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 20 Feb 2014, 20:57

I feel I've largely done my time there and have nothing new to say. I may get the odd flash of inspiration once a week!

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 20 Feb 2014, 20:58

OK, this is the confirmed list in Round 4:

Chris P Bacon
clive gash
Davey the Fat Boy
loki
Matt Wilson
Mike Boom
Sgt Pepper
WG Kaspar

I don't have all the round 4 lists in yet, but I can put two ties up tonight.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 20 Feb 2014, 20:59

the masked man wrote:OK, this is the confirmed list in Round 4:

Chris P Bacon
clive gash
Davey the Fat Boy
loki
Matt Wilson
Mike Boom
Sgt Pepper
WG Kaspar

I don't have all the round 4 lists in yet, but I can put two lists up tonight.

Don't let Wilson procrastinate Andrew!

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 20 Feb 2014, 21:15

Loki wrote:Chris P Bacon
clive gash
Davey the Fat Boy
Loki
Matt Wilson
Mike Boom
Sgt Pepper
WG Kaspar

Jesus Christ, is this what it's come to? :(
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 22 Feb 2014, 16:35

THE DADDY wrote:And there you have it.

:lol:

dead to rights
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Feb 2014, 17:01

I don't think starting more threads is the answer. There is just not much investment in real discussion anymore. Take Quaco's Bee Gees vs. Spoonful thread. He set up an interesting topic, I decided to try an explore it (which I admittedly seldom do anymore, due to the lack of interest around here)...but then only a few people make a halfhearted effort at discussion.

That seems to be the norm now, which is too bad because it really did used to be different.