Who's still in: Cup 2014

fange

Re: Who's still in: Cup 2014

Postby fange » 20 Feb 2014, 05:14

VRZ Robotz wrote:Don't mind the rancour. As long as it's not rancor.

Yeah.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange

Postby fange » 20 Feb 2014, 05:30

The Modernist wrote:
Loki wrote:I was waiting for that! :)

Do it for the sisters Loki!

Yep, good luck S!

The Modernist wrote: I did feel a bit sorry for Nick , I think people went over the top with his list.

I don't know, that's just the Cup, isn't it? Even a lot of the people who wrote supportive comments for his list mentioned it was a bit 'narrow' or 'themed', i think, which it was. I hold no grudge against losing to his list, because there were some really good songs on there. But there is no escaping the fact that it was narrow, and - while i don't want to put words in Nick's mouth - i'm guessing he chose it that way on purpose, as a kind of "These are some songs i LOVE and i'm gonna put em together whther you like it or not" statement.
Some dig that, but others don't and will take some shots at it. That's the game.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Feb 2014, 09:41

I completely dig that. I don't want lists that are up their own arses with cleverness and obscurityness, just because they think that'll win them more votes from the BCB glitterati.

I want lists like Nick's; lists that tell me something about the compiler and what s/he likes,- lists that come from the heart, not the head, if you will ( cue sound of violins playing). Seriously. I don't need to be impressed; I need to be entertained and enlightened about the person behind the selection.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 20 Feb 2014, 10:11

I thought the tradition of the cup was to give full reign to the critical impulse. I'm sure none of it is intended to be taken personally. I mean, my list got a "what is this shit" thread started purely in honour of the Two Ronnies track on it. Nobody seems to have thought that was in bad taste.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Feb 2014, 10:31

Belle Lettre wrote:I mean, my list got a "what is this shit" thread started purely in honour of the Two Ronnies track on it.

:lol:

I don't think I started the thread just because of that song! It was an idea I'd had for a day or two and then that song seemed to fit.

But yeah, none of this is ever personal, of course. Altho' I can understand some people feeling slighted.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Feb 2014, 10:53

The Modernist wrote:
THE DADDY wrote:I enjoy the ranting and mock-bitterness but every year there seems to be more of what you might call rancour, real spite and bitchiness. It's enough to make me seriously reconsider....and then of course by the time it rolls around again next year, you forget.

I don't think it's any worse this year than any other. I did feel a bit sorry for Nick , I think people went over the top with his list..but generally it hasn't seemed so bad this year.

It got attacked for its narrowness and intial obviousness but how is that so different from Penks victor, you know? It was just the wrong kind of narrowness an obviousness for some.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

fange

Postby fange » 20 Feb 2014, 12:23

Polishgirl wrote:I completely dig that. I don't want lists that are up their own arses with cleverness and obscurityness, just because they think that'll win them more votes from the BCB glitterati.

I want lists like Nick's; lists that tell me something about the compiler and what s/he likes,- lists that come from the heart, not the head, if you will ( cue sound of violins playing). Seriously. I don't need to be impressed; I need to be entertained and enlightened about the person behind the selection.

OK - well, this is a snapshot of fange, Polishgirl...

the masked man wrote:War – ‘Low Rider’ link
The Del-Vetts – 'Last Time Around' link
Billy Riley and The Little Green Men – 'Red Hot' link
Hüsker Dü – 'Makes No Sense At All' link
Small Faces – '(Tell Me) Have You Ever Seen Me' link
The Heptones – 'Black On Black (Be A Man)' link
Hank Mobley – ‘A Touch Of The Blues’ link
Prince La La – ‘Need You’ link
Gene Clark – 'Full Circle Song' link
Alice Cooper – ‘Long Way To Go’ link

I wasn't aiming to impress anyone with obscurity - Prince La La and the Del-Vetts are the only ones that are kinda obscure - but I was absolutely trying to entertain and enlighten people about what I like, coz I love every one of these tunes and the different styles are all part of my musical makeup.
I'm sorry if it didn't hit your buttons, but I certainly wasn't trying to be clever, or somehow trick people into voting for something I don't like. What would be the point of that?
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Feb 2014, 12:28

That Prince La La is excellent by the way.

fange

Postby fange » 20 Feb 2014, 12:32

Goat Boy wrote:That Prince La La is excellent by the way.

It's great, isn't it.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Feb 2014, 12:32

I wasn't at all criticising the Fange list; there's plenty in there to enjoy etc. :D

It was just a general comment, supporting the "thrust" of Nick's list.

And I'm in a precarious position criticising anybody, given that I have never entered the Cup.( It being a pointless exercise, as I would just compile a list of Pixies and Cure songs and not include even a glimmer of anything else).
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

fange

Postby fange » 20 Feb 2014, 13:49

Bloody BCB Cup backseat driver! :roll: ;)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 20 Feb 2014, 14:02

Polishgirl wrote:I would just compile a list of Pixies and Cure songs and not include even a glimmer of anything else).

B

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Feb 2014, 14:13

fangedango! wrote:Bloody BCB Cup backseat driver! :roll: ;)

:D

Never mind me; keep your eye on the bloomin' road!!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Feb 2014, 14:13

Loki wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:I would just compile a list of Pixies and Cure songs and not include even a glimmer of anything else).

B

I've got my eye on you, you know. :twisted:

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 20 Feb 2014, 14:45

You better vote for me, you! :x

;)

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 20 Feb 2014, 14:53

She always votes for the wrong list :evil:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 20 Feb 2014, 15:03

She's an 80s girl. :)

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Feb 2014, 15:34

Polishgirl wrote:I completely dig that. I don't want lists that are up their own arses with cleverness and obscurityness, just because they think that'll win them more votes from the BCB glitterati.

I think that the notion that a more obscure list will win more votes is hysterical. It tends to work the other way unless a list is very, very narrow.

But what I really want to take issue with is this idea that more obvious lists are more heartfelt. Did it ever occur to you that a lot of music you consider clever and obscure might be comfort food for the person making the list? Maybe they are trying to tell you something about themselves?

Personally I see the cup as a time to shine the light on a few songs I love that don't get a lot of attention here. Is that less personal than regurgitating the BCB canon slightly differently each year?
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Feb 2014, 15:40

VRZ Robotz wrote:But what I really want to take issue with is this idea that more obvious lists are more heartfelt. Did it ever occur to you that a lot of music you consider clever and obscure might be comfort food for the person making the list? Maybe they are trying to tell you something about themselves?

Personally I see the cup as a time to shine the light on a few songs I love that don't get a lot of attention here. Is that less personal than regurgitating the BCB canon slightly differently each year?

Precisely - I had a feeling those two Trevor Horn Orchestra songs would work against me, but they were a statement of intent, I just HAD to share, first round exit or not.
1966 and all that

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Feb 2014, 15:43

VRZ Robotz wrote:

I think that the notion that a more obscure list will win more votes is hysterical. It tends to work the other way unless a list is very, very narrow.

But what I really want to take issue with is this idea that more obvious lists are more heartfelt. Did it ever occur to you that a lot of music you consider clever and obscure might be comfort food for the person making the list? Maybe they are trying to tell you something about themselves?

Quite.