What Have You Discovered? 2014 Edition

Mike Boom

Re: What Have You Discovered? 2014 Edition

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Feb 2014, 17:41

Its a great guitar solo, the rest is pretty boring

Buddha B-Rex

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 11 Feb 2014, 17:49

Well, if it makes it through, hopefully the author will replace Sister Rosetta with some really exciting Eno, or Lambchop.
Freak out. Far out.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 11 Feb 2014, 17:53

I like the fact this beacon of positivity in the Cup has descended into another slagging fest. :D

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Feb 2014, 18:00

Buddha B-Rex wrote:Well, if it makes it through, hopefully the author will replace Sister Rosetta with some really exciting Eno, or Lambchop.

I find Lambchop boring too, but not Eno, I like Eno :D

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 11 Feb 2014, 18:09

Samoan wrote:
Rayge wrote:
penk wrote:At least Scott Walker had a go at writing proper songs and using his imagination. Most gospel and blues stuff all sounds exactly the same.

To your ears, maybe, but that's exactly the way I tend to feel about prog and brown music.

I like Scott Walker by the way.

What is it with BCB that people can't seem to express their liking for something without disparaging something else (I realize it wasn't you who brought him into the debate, the remark just seemed to fit here?

Oh, and 'proper songs'? Please...
What's propriety got to do with music?

You gotta get hip to the BCB zeitgeist, Ray.

Actually I think he gets it. :)

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Feb 2014, 18:16

penk wrote:Maybe. But for me the blues is a touchstone, an evolutionary step. It has long since been superseded by its offspring. All popular music stems from the blues, so filling one's list with rock, soul and hip-hop is a tacit acknowledgement of the blues anyway.

I feel the same as you. It's boring music by and large.
Copehead wrote:I have never seen anything that doesn't convince me that Joe Average people who vote Conservative are fundamentally too thick to understand the world

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 11 Feb 2014, 23:23

Goat Boy wrote:
penk wrote:Maybe. But for me the blues is a touchstone, an evolutionary step. It has long since been superseded by its offspring. All popular music stems from the blues, so filling one's list with rock, soul and hip-hop is a tacit acknowledgement of the blues anyway.

Yes.

Bright lad, is Ed.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Feb 2014, 23:33

Imbobobobo wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

Yes.

Bright lad, is Ed.

Oh, please. :roll:

I don't give a flying fuck what's an 'evolutionary step' any more than I care about what's current or accepted BCB logic or what. I like grit and I like purpose. Fact is no matter how many times the shit's watered down by the Claptons and Mayers of the world, I can still hear it in vintage blues if it's good (and no, it's not all good- but those who have bothered with it so far seem to know their shit).

Nobody's requiring you to like anything. If you find it boring, fine, find it boring. But nobody here's looking for acknowledgement of anything other than what moves them.

And if you don't hear it in (for example) the Robert Pete Williams track I posted, you and I have very different ears. Which I guess I already knew.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Feb 2014, 23:36

Imbobobobo wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
Imbobobo wrote:Of course it's fucking dull.

Sometimes I think I'm going mad when this kind of crap gets praised to the heavens.

It's typical of this place, tho'. None of these Guardian-reading snotnoses would dare say a word against anything hairshirt like that.

I'd say the praise is coming from a very select few, and BCB-wisdom is saying don't bother with stuff you like if it's more than 50 years old, provided you want to get anywhere. So don't act all put-upon.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 11 Feb 2014, 23:39

I LOVE it when you get annoyed! :lol:

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Feb 2014, 23:45

Buddha B-Rex wrote:...gaping hole.

huh huh
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Feb 2014, 06:58

toomanyhatz wrote:
I'd say the praise is coming from a very select few, and BCB-wisdom is saying don't bother with stuff you like if it's more than 50 years old, provided you want to get anywhere. So don't act all put-upon.

Nah, picking those kind of tracks has always been a safe selection in cup terms. They're a synonym for 'good taste'.
Of course stuffing your whole list with old blues is a different matter.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Feb 2014, 07:17

Better to stuff it with 80s era indie, something that smacks of world music, a half-formed northern soul obscurity, some Krautrock, your choice of Daft Punk or Tame Impala (Janelle Monae may be substituted) and something off of Nuggets. Serve shaken, not stirred.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Feb 2014, 07:35

VRZ Robotz wrote:Better to stuff it with 80s era indie, something that smacks of world music, a half-formed northern soul obscurity, some Krautrock, your choice of Daft Punk or Tame Impala (Janelle Monae may be substituted) and something off of Nuggets. Serve shaken, not stirred.

There is a winning formula definitely and you've identified quite a bit of it, although you're wrong about the 80s..that's equally likely to lose you votes, especially among the US voters.

Chris P Bacon

Postby Chris P Bacon » 12 Feb 2014, 09:07

Buddha B-Rex wrote:This is brilliant from match 16. At 90 seconds the lid comes off.

Since this is meant to be a positive thread .......... if you have just discovered Sister Rosetta then you might enjoy this fascinating documentary about her from BBC4

How the hell they haven't made a film about her life I don't know.
We won by not being you. Perhaps even the greatest of prizes.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Feb 2014, 12:20

The Modernist wrote:
VRZ Robotz wrote:Better to stuff it with 80s era indie, something that smacks of world music, a half-formed northern soul obscurity, some Krautrock, your choice of Daft Punk or Tame Impala (Janelle Monae may be substituted) and something off of Nuggets. Serve shaken, not stirred.

There is a winning formula definitely and you've identified quite a bit of it, although you're wrong about the 80s..that's equally likely to lose you votes, especially among the US voters.

True. With the exception of Martha it doesn't really go down well with US posters but there's been much less this year. I think the lists definitely reflect a more American sensibility. Hardly any Krautrock either. African and south american tunes appear much more regularly these days.
Copehead wrote:I have never seen anything that doesn't convince me that Joe Average people who vote Conservative are fundamentally too thick to understand the world

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Feb 2014, 16:02

Goat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

True. With the exception of Martha it doesn't really go down well with US posters but there's been much less this year. I think the lists definitely reflect a more American sensibility. Hardly any Krautrock either. African and south american tunes appear much more regularly these days.

It depends on how much. Even the Anericans are generally including something by Siouxsie & the Banshees or Echo & the Bunnymen, because they know that they'll be on the wrong end of a UK voting blitz without a token or two.

You simply can't win the cup playing to the US vote - mostly for the obvious reason that a cadre of US voters want desperately to be like their UK counterparts. You can tell which ones by their use of phrases like "cunt", "Macca" etc...
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Feb 2014, 16:44

VRZ Robotz wrote:
It depends on how much. Even the Anericans are generally including something by Siouxsie & the Banshees or Echo & the Bunnymen, because they know that they'll be on the wrong end of a UK voting blitz without a token or two.

Well, Siouxsie & the Banshees aren’t indie. They may lose the vote of Copehead or a Deebank but this voting group is down significantly on previous years as is the EPRA (modern indie, that sorta thing). Personally I couldn’t give a fuck if these artists are there myself but I've always felt more aligned with the US posters in many ways.

You simply can't win the cup playing to the US vote - mostly for the obvious reason that a cadre of US voters want desperately to be like their UK counterparts. You can tell which ones by their use of phrases like "cunt", "Macca" etc...

No you can’t. It’s a balancing act but I think it’s swung slightly in favour of the Americans this year, that’s all.

Americans wanting to be Brits? Where's Matt Wilson when you need him? :lol:

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Feb 2014, 16:58

I'd say roughly there are four blocs, they aren't totally separate and there is some crossover, but the four voting blocs are: firstly a classic, canon, roots bloc -they look for the familiar and the canon stuff in their voting, there is a second bloc who privilege old soul, jazz, a bit of country, they'll also be partial to the odd critically approved band..they seldom venture past the late 70s and are primarily US, A UK bloc who look for pop, post-punk and indie that reminds them of their student days (they tend to just post A or B) and lastly a smaller bloc who have obscurer tastes and are looking for more adventurous selections, this last bloc is often seen as influential but isn't really, unless it's to swing a tight match. Of course there are individuals who don't really fit into any of the categories, but I reckon 80% do.

If you can be bothered it's quite easy to come up with a spread which will have a broad appeal to three of those blocs and that will always be enough to win. I've seen lists this year that have been very much constructed (knowingly I'd say) to have that appeal. Me, I'd rather pick what I want and sod the voters!

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Feb 2014, 17:25

The Modernist wrote:If you can be bothered it's quite easy to come up with a spread which will have a broad appeal to three of those blocs and that will always be enough to win. I've seen lists this year that have been very much constructed (knowingly I'd say) to have that appeal. Me, I'd rather pick what I want and sod the voters!

This shouldn't require saying, but it's quite possible to do both. Like I said I pandered for sure, but I pandered only by category- I still managed to use only tracks I love.

Not that it did either of us any good.