what's trending this year?

User avatar
Jeff K
The Original K
Posts: 32675
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:08
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Contact:

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Jeff K » 20 Jan 2014, 16:59

Unfortunately I can't use Junkyard now that it's been trashed for everyone to see.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

User avatar
Chris P Bacon
Posts: 320
Joined: 05 Jan 2014, 01:52

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Chris P Bacon » 20 Jan 2014, 23:42

The words spark / sparkle in a review.

Think I might include something by the Smael brothers if by some incredible stroke of luck I manage to scrape through to the next round.
We won by not being you. Perhaps even the greatest of prizes.

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 14227
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: Petrus inhibito pompus

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby kewl klive » 21 Jan 2014, 00:13

More fiercely middlebrow granola classical.
Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37437
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Count Machuki » 21 Jan 2014, 01:28

"Trending"

:lol:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

Bungo the Mungo

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 21 Jan 2014, 12:09

Jeff K wrote:
Général Arse Biscuités wrote:
Jeff K wrote:
It's early yet but it appears that Baby Huey is this year's Help You Ann.


:D

I was hoping 'Help You Ann' itself would reappear....

Never has one song been so represented in the Cup. Was it because that Children of Nuggets box had just come out?


I think everyone wants to find that semi-obscure song that has the potential to perk the old, jaded ears up.


Well, you would think so, wouldn't you?

and just how many replies has the 'what have you discovered this year?' thread had? ;)

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20170
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Jeemo » 21 Jan 2014, 17:06

Not me.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22695
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Copehead » 21 Jan 2014, 17:32

Jeff K wrote:
clive gash wrote:Baby Huey.


It's early yet but it appears that Baby Huey is this year's Help You Ann.


baby Huey has been this year's Help You Ann for about the last 5 years

He has become such a BCB Cup cliche that I am not sure if his use hasn't become ironic or even post-ironic
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11339
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Rayge » 21 Jan 2014, 17:42

Copehead wrote:
baby Huey has been this year's Help You Ann for about the last 5 years

He has become such a BCB Cup cliche that I am not sure if his use hasn't become ironic or even post-ironic


As someone who hasn't been here for any previous competition, and thus is unable to appreciate the irony, can I just say how astonished I am that anyone things the croonings of a tenor version of Barry White is in any way big or clever.
It's generic white bread shit.

The trend I've noticed, by the way, is tokenism, and hence incoherence
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
funky_nomad
paranoid
Posts: 11626
Joined: 14 Aug 2003, 11:31
Location: Doomsville

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby funky_nomad » 21 Jan 2014, 17:43

Rayge wrote:The trend I've noticed, by the way, is tokenism, and hence incoherence

:D
Last edited by funky_nomad on 21 Jan 2014, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Just a penitent man

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22695
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Copehead » 21 Jan 2014, 18:01

Rayge wrote:
Copehead wrote:
baby Huey has been this year's Help You Ann for about the last 5 years

He has become such a BCB Cup cliche that I am not sure if his use hasn't become ironic or even post-ironic


As someone who hasn't been here for any previous competition, and thus is unable to appreciate the irony, can I just say how astonished I am that anyone things the croonings of a tenor version of Barry White is in any way big or clever.
It's generic white bread shit.


Don't let Moddie hear you say that he'll go ballistic

The trend I've noticed, by the way, is tokenism, and hence incoherence


But when you have to garner as many votes as possible from a musically blase voter base that is the only path you can go down.

I tried themes and I was voted off

You basically have to tick boxes as I said before:

Baby Huey for the Paul Weller Soul tendency
Big Star for the hipsters
Gentle Giant for the prog goons
Coltrane for the :ugeek: chin stroking brigade
Modern Classical music to show you are both catholic and intellectual
Bit of punk for the headbangers
nugget
Bowie

will this do

We have a winner
Last edited by Copehead on 21 Jan 2014, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
funky_nomad
paranoid
Posts: 11626
Joined: 14 Aug 2003, 11:31
Location: Doomsville

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby funky_nomad » 21 Jan 2014, 18:21

Copehead wrote:Baby Huey for the Paul Weller Soul tendency
Big Star for the hipsters
Gentle Giant for the prog goons
Coltrane for the :ugeek: chin stroking brigade
Modern Classical music to show you are both catholic and intellectual
Bit of punk for the headbangers
nugget
Bowie

While I like the modern classical pick, it's not enough to pick up the win.

B
Just a penitent man

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 23688
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Jan 2014, 18:42

Copehead wrote:[But when you have to garner as many votes as possible from a musically blase voter base that is the only path you can go down.

I tried themes and I was voted off

You basically have to tick boxes as I said before:

Baby Huey for the Paul Weller Soul tendency
Big Star for the hipsters
Gentle Giant for the prog goons
Coltrane for the :ugeek: chin stroking brigade
Modern Classical music to show you are both catholic and intellectual
Bit of punk for the headbangers
nugget
Bowie

will this do

We have a winner


Copehead is right here.
1966 and all that

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22695
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Copehead » 21 Jan 2014, 19:23

GoogaMooga wrote:
Copehead wrote:[But when you have to garner as many votes as possible from a musically blase voter base that is the only path you can go down.

I tried themes and I was voted off

You basically have to tick boxes as I said before:

Baby Huey for the Paul Weller Soul tendency
Big Star for the hipsters
Gentle Giant for the prog goons
Coltrane for the :ugeek: chin stroking brigade
Modern Classical music to show you are both catholic and intellectual
Bit of punk for the headbangers
nugget
Bowie

will this do

We have a winner


Copehead is right here.


Thanks Goog but I think you'll find I am always right about everything :)
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Bungo the Mungo

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 21 Jan 2014, 19:30

You are right about some things - but you are very rarely right about anything related to music.

The Modernist

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby The Modernist » 21 Jan 2014, 19:38

Général Arse Biscuités wrote:You are right about some things - but you are very rarely right about anything related to music.


Proved by Googa agreeing with him.

I foresee a terrible trio this year waging war on anyone who dares pick anything good, watch out for the GRoC (Googa,Rayge & Copehead).

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 23688
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Jan 2014, 19:46

The Modernist wrote:
Général Arse Biscuités wrote:You are right about some things - but you are very rarely right about anything related to music.


Proved by Googa agreeing with him.

I foresee a terrible trio this year waging war on anyone who dares pick anything good, watch out for the GRoC (Googa,Rayge & Copehead).


Surprise me and you will be amply rewarded. I myself change strategy from year to year - keep 'em guessing.
1966 and all that

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 22002
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Toby » 21 Jan 2014, 19:49

Has Copey ever progressed at all in the Cup?

The Modernist

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby The Modernist » 21 Jan 2014, 19:51

Bleep wrote:Has Copey ever progressed at all in the Cup?


I think he got to round 2 one year...after drawing Carlsson in round one.

Bungo the Mungo

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 21 Jan 2014, 19:51

GoogaMooga wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Général Arse Biscuités wrote:You are right about some things - but you are very rarely right about anything related to music.


Proved by Googa agreeing with him.

I foresee a terrible trio this year waging war on anyone who dares pick anything good, watch out for the GRoC (Googa,Rayge & Copehead).


Surprise me and you will be amply rewarded. I myself change strategy from year to year - keep 'em guessing.


Your list will, of course, stand out a mile.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 23688
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Jan 2014, 19:55

Général Arse Biscuités wrote:Your list will, of course, stand out a mile.


That's because I take chances!
1966 and all that