what's trending this year?

Rayge

Re: what's trending this year?

Postby Rayge » 22 Jan 2014, 09:14

Just to clarify, that's your opinion, not Dionne's style.

Cilla Black doing Anyone Who had a Heart was pop, and extremely bad foghorn pop at that: DW's voice is pure church-bred soul, and her performance on Heart is exquisite.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 Jan 2014, 19:22

Daft Punk
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 23 Jan 2014, 15:54

pcqgod wrote:Daft Punk

God yes, why.

And re. Dionne, it's Bacharach Building Brillo Pop
Excellent stuff.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 23 Jan 2014, 19:24

Stuck for time? As a rule whatever list F. o. W votes for is the shit one.
Last edited by kewl klive on 23 Jan 2014, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 23 Jan 2014, 19:46

For the 10th consecutive year - Funkadelic! More hateful than Zappa even.
Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 23 Jan 2014, 23:12

Count Machuki wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Daft Punk

God yes, why.

It's not so much that Daft Punk are being picked, it's that all the selections are from the wrong Daft Punk albums...
Just a penitent man

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 Jan 2014, 23:17

In conjunction with Daft Punk (latest album)- Nile Rodgers.
Chic, Sheila & Black Devotion....
Is everybody hip to that dude?
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 23 Jan 2014, 23:20

watch all the Baby Huey and Daft Punk dissappear in Round 2

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 24 Jan 2014, 02:02

What about all the Monkees?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Jan 2014, 09:19

Count Machuki wrote:Dionne, it's Bacharach Building Brillo Pop

Nope. Pure church-based soul performance.

Still, we both like it, so let's leave her with the last word

KAT/COYS

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Beetee

Postby Beetee » 24 Jan 2014, 10:52

Dionne.. I love her dearly. But lets not get crazy and call it soul. Ok lets call it california soul

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Jan 2014, 12:28

Beetee wrote:Dionne.. I love her dearly. But lets not get crazy and call it soul. Ok lets call it california soul

As far as I'm concerned, she was my introduction to soul back in the early 60s when everyone seemed to agree that it was a new vocal performance style created by the application of church singing tropes – call and response, open-throated vocals, testifying, passion and praise, melisma – to secular material, as pioneered by Sam Coook, Ray Charles (and Margie Hendricks) and pre-funk James Brown. Dionne and DeeDee Warwick were in the vanguard along with other female church alumni such as Marie Knight, Betty Harris, Maxine Brown and Irma Thomas. They often sang pop songs, but the performance wasn't pop. Just listen to the rawness of Don't Make Me Over.

It was only later in the decade that the term was generally applied to all music of black origin with shouty, grunty or screamy vocals, even though quite a lot of that owed more to the entirely secular R&B singers of the 60s, and there was a lot of historical revisionism against those early soul vocalists who had lusher arrangements involving strings and melodic, rather than farty, horns. I however, was set in my ways. It's not that I automatically dislike R&B ballads and southern funkiness, it's just that I don't always hear much soul in the vocals, and I tend to view funk in particular as an instrumental style and genre, an adaptation of R&B with the R elevated above the B, which could have soulful vocals over the top, but not necessarily.

Oh, and Dionne is from a New Jersey gospel family, the Drinkards, and recorded songs by a couple of New Yorkers for a New York label, so I'm not sure where the California thing comes in.
KAT/COYS

der nister

Postby der nister » 24 Jan 2014, 12:42

Context is everything.

There are many acts that once moved to another country
take on a different context, we see this with many 76-83 UK acts
that get labelled punk/new wave.

That being said it probably would be hard to find many in the US
who would label Warwick soul, despite her church beginnings
and most of the grunting and screaming heard in 60s soul would have its
origins in the hard gospel quartets of the late 40s and throughout the 50s
with Archie Brownlee and the Five Blind Boys of Mississippi and RH Harris' Soul Stirrers
being the two the most influential
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Beetee

Postby Beetee » 25 Jan 2014, 00:09

Rayge wrote:
Beetee wrote:Dionne.. I love her dearly. But lets not get crazy and call it soul. Ok lets call it california soul

As far as I'm concerned, she was my introduction to soul back in the early 60s when everyone seemed to agree that it was a new vocal performance style created by the application of church singing tropes – call and response, open-throated vocals, testifying, passion and praise, melisma – to secular material, as pioneered by Sam Coook, Ray Charles (and Margie Hendricks) and pre-funk James Brown. Dionne and DeeDee Warwick were in the vanguard along with other female church alumni such as Marie Knight, Betty Harris, Maxine Brown and Irma Thomas. They often sang pop songs, but the performance wasn't pop. Just listen to the rawness of Don't Make Me Over.

It was only later in the decade that the term was generally applied to all music of black origin with shouty, grunty or screamy vocals, even though quite a lot of that owed more to the entirely secular R&B singers of the 60s, and there was a lot of historical revisionism against those early soul vocalists who had lusher arrangements involving strings and melodic, rather than farty, horns. I however, was set in my ways. It's not that I automatically dislike R&B ballads and southern funkiness, it's just that I don't always hear much soul in the vocals, and I tend to view funk in particular as an instrumental style and genre, an adaptation of R&B with the R elevated above the B, which could have soulful vocals over the top, but not necessarily.

Oh, and Dionne is from a New Jersey gospel family, the Drinkards, and recorded songs by a couple of New Yorkers for a New York label, so I'm not sure where the California thing comes in.

well lets see um...i know.. she owes the state of california 3 million in back taxes ? :oops:
i guess you have a point. she doesnt even know the way to san jose

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Jan 2014, 09:28

Beetee wrote:well lets see um...i know.. she owes the state of california 3 million in back taxes ? :oops:
i guess you have a point. she doesnt even know the way to san jose

:lol:
KAT/COYS

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 10 Feb 2014, 16:44

Is there actually a backlash against obscure lists/songs? Seems I'm seeing quite a few comments.....

In my first Cup (2011), there was a general cynicism against 'obvious' songs (as there still is, but) and obscure songs were lauded, whereas this year I'm seeing things swing back around somewhat...? And it also seems like there are more 'safe' choices this year..?

I realize this is inherent in the evolution of the Cup, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the decreased interest people have about putting more time into the contest.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Feb 2014, 17:13

Loki wrote:Is there actually a backlash against obscure lists/songs? Seems I'm seeing quite a few comments.....

In my first Cup (2011), there was a general cynicism against 'obvious' songs (as there still is, but) and obscure songs were lauded, whereas this year I'm seeing things swing back around somewhat...? And it also seems like there are more 'safe' choices this year..?

I realize this is inherent in the evolution of the Cup, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the decreased interest people have about putting more time into the contest.

:x I'll have you know I spent about 2 hours spread over 8 months on my list
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 10 Feb 2014, 17:52

Hey, I spent longer than that. I'm just sensing a backlash this year.

Now it could be that my head is fucked up.....just wondering if anyone else noticed.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.