Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

The Modernist

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby The Modernist » 06 Feb 2014, 23:38

:lol:

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 06 Feb 2014, 23:39

Well said, D! Good on you!

BUT you don't know what it's like to lose to a shit list until you lose to THIS fucking shower of cack:

List B

skip james - devil got my woman
bessie smith - taint nobody's business if i do
robert johnson - if i had possession over judgement day
bo diddley - elephant man
captain beefheart - frying pain
martha and the vandellas - (love is like a) heatwave
ebo taylor - love and death
ofo the black company - egwu aja
goat - dreambuilding
philip glass - opening

I'll never get over it as long as I live. Fucking arsehole.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Feb 2014, 23:45

Yeah, fucking shocking.

Did G and the Count vote for it?
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred

I read the article, which was nonsense.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 06 Feb 2014, 23:48

Probably.

Cunts.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 06 Feb 2014, 23:48

The 69 and Young tracks were your weak points in an otherwise fine selection.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Feb 2014, 23:52

I'm surprised you don't like Desire, G. I think it's a stellar piece of music. Techno are its most emotional and futuristic.

The Young song is just a magical recording. Dripping with atmosphere and strangeness. I think it's one of his most moving and underrated songs.
LeBaron wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I will read your link but it seems you only read my poor synopsis and not the article, otherwise you''d say more than just insult my cred

I read the article, which was nonsense.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 06 Feb 2014, 23:53

G doesn't like Neil Young.

He likes CSNY, tho' :?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 06 Feb 2014, 23:55

Goat Boy wrote:I'm surprised you don't like Desire, G. I think it's a stellar piece of music. Techno are its most emotional and futuristic.

I liked it to begin with but then there was this sort of weird oscillating noise that came in which irritated me.
It may have been my speakers!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 06 Feb 2014, 23:58

the most charismatic man in the world wrote:Probably.

Cunts.

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 06 Feb 2014, 23:58

(sorry I sold you out, dougie)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 08 Feb 2014, 14:38

I guess my first reaction is I can’t believe I lost to a list with Paranoid in it, but see that comment in itself belies the very nature of my corruption. I think Penk said it best when he offered this probing observation:

penk wrote:Anyway, A has a couple of gems - Rhetta Hughes, Bob Darin - but also quite a bit of stuff that is "obscure and cool-sounding" rather than "actually good"...

I hope you recognize my list as a cry for help. I’m 44 years old and I don’t want to be cool anymore, but I don’t know how. I’ve been hiding behind this façade for far too long, trying to mask oh so many shortcomings: unimpressive earning power, a feeble intellect, and a myriad of physical inadequacies.

Oh populist voter, I’m here to suggest that within me beats a heart that longs for approval. I’m not above desperation. Perhaps if I offered something like:

Or maybe a mea culpa and an action plan to bring about real change:

The old me would make some sort of crass comment about next year picking 10 random Echo and the Bunnymen songs to cause Googa to become unhinged and cut a path of destruction through Northern Europe that has not been seen since the time of the Vikings, but with your help I shall fight my base instincts.

Still it was close for a while until that seemingly endless parade of concise voters delivered their verdict—their terse dismissal piercing me like so many tiny daggers, particularly Thesinger’s exotic rejections. Sir, su palabra haceme triste. So I must be content with my three steps forward two steps back trajectory. I will lose in the second round next year by 3 votes, two years later in a one-song playoff, and I feel comfortable in saying now, that in 2019 I will make it to the third round where I will be soundly defeated. I also feel confident that in 2049, three months shy of my 80th birthday, I will be your BCB Cup Champion! I’m just hoping that at that stage I will still able to enjoy solid foods and use the bathroom by myself so that I might relish my victory unencumbered.

Thanks to all who voted for my list, particularly Ange, G, Sgt Pepper, Clive Gash, Belle Lettre, and Never/Ever who were able to look past the obscurist plea for attention and recognize the good!

Viva la Cup! May her shine cast light onto millions!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Feb 2014, 01:13

So hopefully as I made clear, I have no bitterness toward my worthy opponent. I had a bit of an 'uh oh' moment when I saw the list. It's one I would've voted for in most rounds. I did think the Cowboy (*yawn*) Junkies was a mistake that just might help me, and that Bo Diddley track is cute, but somewhere around the 5,223rd best recording of his chequered career. But other than that, good stuff, and I wish him or her good luck in the future rounds.

As for the rest of you cunt nuggets, it's another story. Let's look at my list, shall we?

If I Should Fall From Grace With God – The Pogues
Face To Face – Zakary Thaks
Debris – Faces
Free Again - Robert Pete Williams
Dazzle - Siouxsie & the Banshees
We’re Doin’ It (Thang) Part I - Eddie Bo
Devil's Resting Place - Laura Marling
Funnel of Love - Wanda Jackson
Alexander – The Pretty Things with Phillipe DeBarge
Workingman’s Blues – Bob Dylan

Let me be absolutely clear that, while there was some pandering to what I saw as BCB tastes, I hope nobody questions in the slightest that I love every single one of these fucking songs.

Clearly, nobody here's going to have a problem with Zakary Thaks, and semi-obscure funk like the Eddie Bo always does well here.

Yes, I picked an old blues number, in part, because I think the ridiculous notion that nobody could ever naturally like such a thing is one of the stupider ideas espoused here. Yes, I legitimately hear more grit and grime there than in any ten NIck "Modern Bluesmaster" Cave masterpieces or (even more so) plodding shit like Jon Spencer or the Gun Fucking Club. I think BCB needs MORE of this shit, not less. But was that what lost me the match? No.

My love for Ronnie Lane is well-known here, and the Faces seem to be beloved by the folks around here who are just the right age to have gotten their first feel of a tit with "Stay With Me" playing in the background. It would've been dishonest for me to pick some Rod party piece, so I though maybe that combo of groove and genuine emotion would get me some votes. No go, apparently, but that wasn't what lost it for me either.

Nor was the problem (as I thought it might be) the newer Dylan. I almost thought of replacing it with "Can You Please Crawl Out Your WIndow" or some other "just obscure enough" tidbit that the throngs might eat up, but I couldn't get away from the fact that it's a) a great song that references another great song and b)
something good that's (almost) current. I figured it ticked a few good boxes. And at least I could get some self-satisfaction out of it if people thought it weak. But of course nobody mentioned it.

I was mildly surprised by the few negative mentions of the Siouxsie track, but if indeed as stated you need to have some 80s post-punk thing to go far in this thing, that's one I legitimately love. But again, that wasn't the real problem.

So what was the real problem?

I don't want vote for the Pogues again.

I'm getting tired of this veneration of The Pogues.

I'm getting tired of this veneration of The Pogues.

Yes yes!

Because it is a Pogues...free list

I'll pretend I didn't see that Pogues track

Got it. so on a board where anyone will vote for any old 80s shite, the problem with my list was the one fucking band of any prominence in the 80s that wrote great songs, performed them with intensity and had more to them than fucking makeup and the same trebly guitar tone that plagued every other band on both continents.

I'll make sure and fill my entire list with Sigue Sigue Sputnik next time. Shower of fuckwits. :evil:

Thanks to those who voted for me, and even the ones that declared it close but went the other way in the end. I sympathize that it was a difficult vote.

As for the rest of you, I wish you an eternity of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" on an endless loop. Cunts.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Feb 2014, 02:12

I KNEW it!
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 09 Feb 2014, 19:11

T. Willy Rye wrote:I think Penk said it best...

I still bloody voted for you! :lol:
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Feb 2014, 21:51

Coan's fulminating against the Two Ronnies made me all the more determined to keep them in. I could hardly seem to be swayed by such as he! I suppose the result shows you retain some influence, JC - but then again, a lot of the neinsager merely continue to be in abject thrall to their inner 80s student. Double fucking Dutch? I hope you all get tangled up in your fucking skipping ropes and, at the very least, sustain an uncomfortable groin injury.

I will pass over the tiresome spectacle of people trying to out-cool themselves by criticising the very material they might popularly be supposed to approve of.

The only thing which really pisses me off is that nobody - not even those who voted for my list - mentioned the Jim Jones Revue, favourably or otherwise. They are a fantastic band and deserve better. But then I doubt many of you even bothered to click on the link.

Thanks to Davey for his insightful post - I leave you with the thought that I might well have moved on to Rammstein in round 3. "Bück Dich" probably - suits my mood.

Bah.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 11 Feb 2014, 23:02

Belle Lettre wrote:Coan's fulminating against the Two Ronnies made me all the more determined to keep them in. I could hardly seem to be swayed by such as he! I suppose the result shows you retain some influence, JC - but then again, a lot of the neinsager merely continue to be in abject thrall to their inner 80s student. Double fucking Dutch? I hope you all get tangled up in your fucking skipping ropes and, at the very least, sustain an uncomfortable groin injury.

I will pass over the tiresome spectacle of people trying to out-cool themselves by criticising the very material they might popularly be supposed to approve of.

The only thing which really pisses me off is that nobody - not even those who voted for my list - mentioned the Jim Jones Revue, favourably or otherwise. They are a fantastic band and deserve better. But then I doubt many of you even bothered to click on the link.

Thanks to Davey for his insightful post - I leave you with the thought that I might well have moved on to Rammstein in round 3. "Bück Dich" probably - suits my mood.

Bah.

It was a terrific list. I had a hunch it was yours when I saw the JJR on it.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Feb 2014, 09:44

Yet again, the BCB elite exposes - apparently unembarrassed - its most exasperating, unforgivable blind spot: the Blues. And yet even then, there only actually two genuine blues tracks on my list ("stuffing your list with old blues" - idiot!) - but for daring to do so it gets dismissed as "history", or for "old people". Sgt Pepper, you can't "connect" with the blues because you are a man in your early 30s? Fuck you, dick - why the fuck are you listening to anything earlier than the 1980s? According to you, what age must you be for it to be appropriate to dig the blues? Did you have to be there, choking on the prairies during the fucking Dust Bowl while abandoning your drought-stricken farms carrying your five filthy, starving kids and pregnant wife in a broken fucking wagon? Is that the correct fucking recipe to "connect" with the blues? That may be the single dumbest rationale for dismissing a whole genre that I've ever heard on BCB. The blues is all "boring", it "all sounds the same", it's a "touchstone"..."evolutionary step"? Really, that's the best the BCB can do? Fuck off, that is the kind of point you may have heard in your early teenage years, and even then it was a thoroughly immature line to take. The list is too "intellectual"? What the fuck? The blues is ALL HEART. It's only heart - nothing more. What the fuck are you people talking about? Learn the fucking blues you crusty ignorant snobs!

HOWEVER, may I also take one brief moment to rejoice at this, which may be my happiest occasion on BCB in my 10+ years here. IN YER FUCKING FACE YOU DEAF CUNT!! YOUR LIST WAS FUCKING AWFUL - EVEN MY DISGRACEFULLY BLUES-RIDDEN LIST BEAT IT!! :D

Imbobobobo wrote:I'll never get over it as long as I live. Fucking arsehole.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 12 Feb 2014, 09:48

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 12 Feb 2014, 09:55

That wasn't quite the point I was trying to make, and I did say that I liked your list (twice), but it's a good rant so I'll take it on the chin.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Feb 2014, 11:53

Sgt Pepper wrote:That wasn't quite the point I was trying to make, and I did say that I liked your list (twice), but it's a good rant so I'll take it on the chin.

Your vote for my list in the first round means nothing to me - of course you were going to vote for me - look at the list I was up against, it was a pile of Coan shit that still managed to get fucking 20-odd votes.

Is this meant to be a fucking compliment? CUNT! You can stick your fucking Snap! into your 2 Unlimited arse.

Sgt Pepper wrote:No, but as a man in his early 30's, I'm going to vote for music that I connect with, that means something to me, rather than 'worthy' stuff from the archives. As I said, I like list A, but at the end of the day I'd rather listen to 90s techno than crackly blues.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON