Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 21592
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby never/ever » 19 Feb 2014, 20:32

Oh?
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 15114
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34
Location: Canadia

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Loki » 19 Feb 2014, 21:06

Image

Look up here, I'm in heaven


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33777
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby PENK » 19 Feb 2014, 21:08

Well the masked man buggered off offline without actually doing the results! :lol:
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

The Modernist

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2014, 21:26

penk wrote:Well the masked man buggered off offline without actually doing the results! :lol:


Well you're out for a start! As are Masked Man, Nick and Right Profile!

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33777
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby PENK » 19 Feb 2014, 22:12

Once again, out of the Cup just as things are getting tasty. Third round, quarter finals, third round again. That's my territory. I just can't bring myself to really go for the jugular and enter a list designed to win rather than one peppered with personal faves that I hope three people will think are cool.

The last few years, at least, I've gone out to cool lists. No shame in that. Good lists duking it out and all that. There are a few lists knocking around still that I would have been fine with going out to. Either list from match 6, for example, or list B in match 8. Splendid efforts, those. Lists that show flair, imagination, thought and care.
This year, though, I've gone out to a list featuring these artists:

1. Tim Buckley
2. Curtis Mayfield
3. The Incredible String Band
4. Big Star
5. The Beach Boys
6. The Supremes
7. Prince
8. The Creation
9. The Clean
10. 801

Let's look at those names again, shall we? Is this a list put together by someone with a personality, and imagination? Or is it a boring fucking toss-off of a list put together in two minutes by someone who is actually afraid of listening to fucking music? Seven straight canon-approved classic-rock-and-pop artists straight out the pages of Mojo. ISB the only thing that even approach an independent choice.

Look at the end of the list, where things suddenly get ooh! a bit daring! So we have one of the best-known and BCB-loved psych outfits, we have a token indie outfit who crop up on 10 lists a year so aren't at all risky, and we finally, finally, I thought, reading down the list, have something a bit obscure and imaginative and personal.

Except when I googled it it turned out to be a Roxy Music side project.

And it's a cover of a fucking Beatles song. And there are brackets in case nobody realises from the title 'TNK' that it's actually a Beatles cover.

And there was a fucking thread about it a week ago.

Are you proud of your list, A? Do you think a victory here is proof that you have taste and are good at putting a playlist together?

Here! Here's a list I put together in twenty seconds!

1. The Kinks
2. The Isley Bros
3. Fotheringay
4. Television
5. The Ronettes
6. The Go-Betweens
7. Muddy Waters
8. Moby Grape
9. Tom Waits
10. Harmonia

Go on, vote for me!

See, we can all do a list like that. But where is the personality? Where are the songs that say "here is a song I, an actual person, love"? Where is the bravery or daring or risk or imagination? Where is the evidence that this person actually loves music, and cares enough to think a bit about music, and how to represent themselves musically? I mean, a century of music to choose from and the closest they come to something a bit individual, a bit independent, something that they themselves have discovered and thought "this is great" rather than just plucking it from another Rolling Stone list, is a Beatles cover by Brian Eno?

And look at this for tokenism: Curtis Mayfield, the Supremes and Prince? Fucking hell, I half expect to see Nina Simone on the list in the next round. Just stick to the classic rock music. That's clearly the only thing you really know about, isn't it?

But, you know, the people have spoken. Or have they? See, a lot of those "A" votes gave no explanation. Half of them, in fact; comfortably more than the silent "B" votes. They were the votes of those who couldn't think. Those who didn't care. Those who saw a couple of things they didn't know on my list and panicked. Those, in short, who are boring and not really interested in music. They did not say they were voting for A because they liked it. They did not say they disliked my list. They did not say anything, because they had nothing to say.

Oh, and there was Machuki, who has given up since being knocked out himself and is just randomly writing "A" or "B" in every match without actually looking at the lists.

Oh, sure. There were those who did say a little. But many of them complimented my list too, or at least gave a good reason for disliking it. And I'm fine with people disliking my list. Because my list had things that were personal choices on there. Things that I knew might not be loved by everybody. Things that were actually chosen because they were something different, something interesting, and not just another critic list. Things that were risks. Things that were things I loved, which showed that I had my own personal taste and was not just a machine afraid to buy anything not endorsed by the critics. Because that's what you are, list A. The list of a boring person, with no heart or passion or clue.

And that's what appealed to the BCB masses. Your list was so boring and personality-free, it didn't even offend people. They voted for it automatically. Like lemmings.

You have won the battle, A. But you will not win the war. I will mobilise the forces in a show of BCB strength and we will take you down. You are all that is wrong with BCB.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

The Modernist

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2014, 22:18

penk wrote:Once again, out of the Cup just as things are getting tasty. Third round, quarter finals, third round again. That's my territory. I just can't bring myself to really go for the jugular and enter a list designed to win rather than one peppered with personal faves that I hope three people will think are cool.

The last few years, at least, I've gone out to cool lists. No shame in that. Good lists duking it out and all that. There are a few lists knocking around still that I would have been fine with going out to. Either list from match 6, for example, or list B in match 8. Splendid efforts, those. Lists that show flair, imagination, thought and care.
This year, though, I've gone out to a list featuring these artists:

1. Tim Buckley
2. Curtis Mayfield
3. The Incredible String Band
4. Big Star
5. The Beach Boys
6. The Supremes
7. Prince
8. The Creation
9. The Clean
10. 801

Let's look at those names again, shall we? Is this a list put together by someone with a personality, and imagination? Or is it a boring fucking toss-off of a list put together in two minutes by someone who is actually afraid of listening to fucking music? Seven straight canon-approved classic-rock-and-pop artists straight out the pages of Mojo. ISB the only thing that even approach an independent choice.

Look at the end of the list, where things suddenly get ooh! a bit daring! So we have one of the best-known and BCB-loved psych outfits, we have a token indie outfit who crop up on 10 lists a year so aren't at all risky, and we finally, finally, I thought, reading down the list, have something a bit obscure and imaginative and personal.

Except when I googled it it turned out to be a Roxy Music side project.

And it's a cover of a fucking Beatles song. And there are brackets in case nobody realises from the title 'TNK' that it's actually a Beatles cover.

And there was a fucking thread about it a week ago.

Are you proud of your list, A? Do you think a victory here is proof that you have taste and are good at putting a playlist together?

Here! Here's a list I put together in twenty seconds!

1. The Kinks
2. The Isley Bros
3. Fotheringay
4. Television
5. The Ronettes
6. The Go-Betweens
7. Muddy Waters
8. Moby Grape
9. Tom Waits
10. Harmonia

Go on, vote for me!

See, we can all do a list like that. But where is the personality? Where are the songs that say "here is a song I, an actual person, love"? Where is the bravery or daring or risk or imagination? Where is the evidence that this person actually loves music, and cares enough to think a bit about music, and how to represent themselves musically? I mean, a century of music to choose from and the closest they come to something a bit individual, a bit independent, something that they themselves have discovered and thought "this is great" rather than just plucking it from another Rolling Stone list, is a Beatles cover by Brian Eno?

And look at this for tokenism: Curtis Mayfield, the Supremes and Prince? Fucking hell, I half expect to see Nina Simone on the list in the next round. Just stick to the classic rock music. That's clearly the only thing you really know about, isn't it?

But, you know, the people have spoken. Or have they? See, a lot of those "A" votes gave no explanation. Half of them, in fact; comfortably more than the silent "B" votes. They were the votes of those who couldn't think. Those who didn't care. Those who saw a couple of things they didn't know on my list and panicked. Those, in short, who are boring and not really interested in music. They did not say they were voting for A because they liked it. They did not say they disliked my list. They did not say anything, because they had nothing to say.

Oh, and there was Machuki, who has given up since being knocked out himself and is just randomly writing "A" or "B" in every match without actually looking at the lists.

Oh, sure. There were those who did say a little. But many of them complimented my list too, or at least gave a good reason for disliking it. And I'm fine with people disliking my list. Because my list had things that were personal choices on there. Things that I knew might not be loved by everybody. Things that were actually chosen because they were something different, something interesting, and not just another critic list. Things that were risks. Things that were things I loved, which showed that I had my own personal taste and was not just a machine afraid to buy anything not endorsed by the critics. Because that's what you are, list A. The list of a boring person, with no heart or passion or clue.

And that's what appealed to the BCB masses. Your list was so boring and personality-free, it didn't even offend people. They voted for it automatically. Like lemmings.

You have won the battle, A. But you will not win the war. I will mobilise the forces in a show of BCB strength and we will take you down. You are all that is wrong with BCB.


:lol:

You can't beat The Man!


User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30417
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Feb 2014, 22:21

Same old same old
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33777
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby PENK » 19 Feb 2014, 22:23

At least I didn't get beat by a live Billy Bragg clip ;)
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30417
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Feb 2014, 22:25

That was directed at your opponent.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Feb 2014, 22:25

penk wrote:At least I didn't get beat by a live Billy Bragg clip ;)


:lol:

WHO did?!?

Fucking hell - that's priceless!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33777
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby PENK » 19 Feb 2014, 22:27

Goat Boy wrote:That was directed at your opponent.


Ha!

I wonder who it was?
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30417
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Feb 2014, 22:30

I have no idea
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30417
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Feb 2014, 22:31

THE DADDY wrote:
penk wrote:At least I didn't get beat by a live Billy Bragg clip ;)


:lol:

WHO did?!?

Fucking hell - that's priceless!! :lol: :lol: :lol:


What a sick joke. G voted for it of course. So did the Count.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

The Modernist

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2014, 22:34

..That majestic Terry Callier song was the decider. Not my fault if there was nothing as good as that in your list.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30417
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Feb 2014, 22:41

Absolute bloody rubbish. if you think that's better than The Big-O singing It's Over you deserve to go out to a list with Billy Bragg in it.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37433
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Count Machuki » 20 Feb 2014, 02:38

penk wrote:Once again, out of the Cup just as things are getting tasty.... You are all that is wrong with BCB.


C

I guess
Whatever
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37433
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Count Machuki » 20 Feb 2014, 02:39

Goat Boy wrote:
THE DADDY wrote:
penk wrote:At least I didn't get beat by a live Billy Bragg clip ;)


:lol:

WHO did?!?

Fucking hell - that's priceless!! :lol: :lol: :lol:


What a sick joke. G voted for it of course. So did the Count.


I voted for what now?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

User avatar
watts
Posts: 1136
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 14:30
Location: self-imposed exile

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby watts » 20 Feb 2014, 06:15

penk wrote:
You have won the battle, A. But you will not win the war. I will mobilise the forces in a show of BCB strength and we will take you down. You are all that is wrong with BCB.


Ah see...I sort of hope s/he/it (that's pronounced "SHit" in case you are wondering) wins it. I figure if I have to go down to any list, it should take the fucking cup at least, as a courtesy to you for defeating your ass.

And I have only myself to blame since I chose it over Jeemo's list in round 1. But I really hate Willie Nelson's guts...so it was really a sort of win by default....although actually at that stage, it had My Bloody Valentine, Harry Nilsson and Sandy Denny on it...none of which I happen to strictly speaking HATE...so that sold me on it.

Then the next round, when when I faced it -- it had become even more boring and BCB cup winningish, so that by the time it got to YOU it was honed to near perfection and geared to take this fucker and run with it -- it's all fairly consistent, blandly good, easily recognizable stuff -- -- and boring as fuck. It is therefore nearly immune to criticism and as you point out -- very accessible for the non-musical half-wits of the boards to just mindlessly glance at and then vote for...

I do feel your pain Penk. And I am with you on being weary of getting booted out in rounds 3 and 4. I always want more. And this time I was out in ROUND TWO. That's just wrong.
--m

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11312
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Rayge » 20 Feb 2014, 12:46

penk wrote:And look at this for tokenism: Curtis Mayfield, the Supremes and Prince? Fucking hell, I half expect to see Nina Simone on the list in the next round. Just stick to the classic rock music. That's clearly the only thing you really know about, isn't it?

But, you know, the people have spoken. Or have they? See, a lot of those "A" votes gave no explanation. Half of them, in fact; comfortably more than the silent "B" votes. They were the votes of those who couldn't think. Those who didn't care. Those who saw a couple of things they didn't know on my list and panicked. Those, in short, who are boring and not really interested in music. They did not say they were voting for A because they liked it. They did not say they disliked my list. They did not say anything, because they had nothing to say.

Well I voted for your list without comment purely because of Go Now, Street Hassle and Chimacun Rain, all familiar favourites, so you did get one or two going your way.

This does raise a point though: I see lots of favourite artists on people's lists, but always the wrong songs. Is it frowned upon to include hits? Shouldn't it be about tracks, rather than performers?

And I know (hope :? ) people are joking when they refer to a canon and to BCB faves, but it would be help if some of the old hands would point out just who these acts are, so we new bugs can join in or kick against the pricks according to taste: as you know, I picked my songs to fit in with the general theme of different attitudes and obsessions from childhood to old age, and didn't realize I was transgressing by including Momus or surrounding Sandy Denny with less hallowed voices, or by picking a couple of grand post-punk pop tunes without realising I was alienating all the Murrikans by doing so, or by choosing a delightful 1930s jazz vocal that isn't on youTube and thus chucking away 10 per cent of my list. Did anyone listen to the Mildred Bailey tune?
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Bitter Recriminations 2014 - Oh do get to fuck..

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Feb 2014, 12:56

Rayge wrote:
This does raise a point though: I see lots of favourite artists on people's lists, but always the wrong songs. Is it frowned upon to include hits? Shouldn't it be about tracks, rather than performers?


What's acceptable is getting narrower by the year, generally speaking.

I get that including something like 'Waterloo Sunset' impresses no-one, but listening to it?